Thread: Mtb clothing

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Mtb clothing

i was wondering what kind of shorts and jersey's are best for mtbing

are there like different types of materials and brands that are better than others (whats good for hot weather) im kind of on a budget and dont want to spend more than 60usd for shorts and a jersey

i live in a really hot place usually 90-110 degrees ferenheit in ( i guess i started riding at the wrong time ) tucson,az

i wanted to know whats better for like xc riding ill be doing lots of single track & fire roads so dont if i need specific equipment for that

thanx in advance

manny

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you ride with a hydration pack and store your extra gear in that then you don't need a pocketed jersey. In that case you can use a workout shirt which are much cheaper and do the same thing. Think finely woven synthethics, they breathe very well. You can get those anywhere, Sporting goods, TJ Maxx, Wal Mart. Try to find the best fabric you can, chaffed nipples suck.

Shorts. You need cycling specific shorts. Voler and Hoss are two brands known for quality, comfort, and value. Go for baggy ones, cut just above the knee. The crotch should really fit well, in case you have to hike-a-bike, you don't want your shorts too low. You can also get padded undershorts, from Supergo, Performance and Fox. The Fox ones are the best and you can wear them under boardshorts. Then you're ready for the hot tub after you ride.

Lord of the Bling
    Apr 2005
    I about crapped myself when I started pricing this stuff. I've been wearing my girlfriend's (bite me) padded shorts, and found them to be pretty cool, but $50 for shorts? $99 for pants? There has to be a better way.

mtbr member
    Some of this stuff is crazy expensive. I shop around the internet a lot. I also check out TJ Max and Marshall's etc. I work in a very hot kitchen so my shirts do double duty under my chef's coat. Baggy shorts are good, some prefer lycra. I'm a lycra person, to me baggys are another layer to keep the heat in. Whatever you like most. Although, I will admit I wear baggy shorts over my lycra shorts around the house and take them off when I leave. This spares my roomate. I don't really like going into stores with them on either. I feel like a dork with them. I know I'm a dork and the shorts have nothing to do with it.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jerome_oneil
    I about crapped myself when I started pricing this stuff. I've been wearing my girlfriend's (bite me) padded shorts, and found them to be pretty cool, but $50 for shorts? $99 for pants? There has to be a better way.
    I started with some cheap store brand baggy shorts and they don't last and aren't nearly as comfortable as the more expensive name brand stuff. I have 3 pairs of the Fox Hi intensity shorts and the padding is so much nicer than cheap shorts and they wear well. I've also crashed a few times with them and never torn or ripped them. A nice chamois is worth it, especially for hot weather riding and epic rides.

Lord of the Bling
    Apr 2005
    Ha! Yeah, all her stuff is lycra, and I feel a bit swishy in it, too. I've already blown the seat out of the shorts, but I wear them anyway, as they are comfortable as heck. I'll probably bite the bullit and get a couple of pairs of lycra padded shorts, and then wear Value Village wear over them.

I'm in Seattle, so heat is rarely a problem, unless there isn't enough of it.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    I started with some cheap store brand baggy shorts and they don't last and aren't nearly as comfortable as the more expensive name brand stuff. I have 3 pairs of the Fox Hi intensity shorts and the padding is so much nicer than cheap shorts and they wear well. I've also crashed a few times with them and never torn or ripped them. A nice chamois is worth it, especially for hot weather riding and epic rides.
    You get what you pay for. Move to Canada & see what we pay for stuff up here.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRoundBoys
    If you ride with a hydration pack and store your extra gear in that then you don't need a pocketed jersey. In that case you can use a workout shirt which are much cheaper and do the same thing. Think finely woven synthethics, they breathe very well. You can get those anywhere, Sporting goods, TJ Maxx, Wal Mart. Try to find the best fabric you can, chaffed nipples suck.

Shorts. You need cycling specific shorts. Voler and Hoss are two brands known for quality, comfort, and value. Go for baggy ones, cut just above the knee. The crotch should really fit well, in case you have to hike-a-bike, you don't want your shorts too low. You can also get padded undershorts, from Supergo, Performance and Fox. The Fox ones are the best and you can wear them under boardshorts. Then you're ready for the hot tub after you ride.
    I have to agree with the running/workout shirt idea. If you using a camelbak there really no reason to pay for expensive jersey (other the to look like a "biker"). Hell, even if you don't use a camelbak, get a saddle bag for you gear and still go with a running shirt. You'll save a fortune.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    Check out the internet sites, including this one. Watch for specials online. I managed to get a Primal Wear Dragons L'air jersey for CDN$58.00 on line.

I am looking at an MTBR jersey too...
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Don't worry, be happy!
    as has been said, you do need good short. But for shirts.... you can get wicking T's at any sports place, no need to shell out $$ on jerseys. Also, Performance Bike and Sierra Trading Post have great deals on stuff.

formica

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanx for the input guys yeah ill probably buy a regular t-shirt and some good shorts at supergo or perfomance bike

although jersey's do look cool id rather have 5 regualar t-shirts that cost the same of one jersey

maybe after awhile in the sport ill shell out some cash for a cool jersey

thanx manny

Don't worry, be happy!
    you want a wicking (polyester) T not a cotton T. Any number of reasons but cotton is not nearly as comfortable when you are working up a sweat, and it will chill you when it's cool out.
    formica

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanx for pointing that out ill make sure to look on the labels

mtbr member
    Look for shorts on sale, too. I have never paid more than $40 for a pair of shorts because I stock up when I see them cheap. I really like my Pearl Izumi sugar shorts (girl version, not sure what the guys version is) and Performance Century Short Shorts. The bottom line performance shorts suck and fall apart really quick. I own a couple other pairs of "nicer" shorts, but have not found them any more comfortable.

For jerseys, also look for sales. Having the long zipper on the front and a pocket in the back are nice features, but not required. I do have a fair number of synthetic tops from Target and ***** that work just fine.

A couple of places to get bike shorts quite cheap are Campmor (www.campmor.com) and Sierra Trading Post.

And finally, a surprisingly cheap place to buy cycling clothing if you don't mind looking like a walking advertizement is www.e-caps.com. Go to products, then clothing. I don't know why their clothing is so inexpensive, but you can pick up a nice pair of 2004 design Voler shorts for $29.95 (limited sizes left) and 2005 design for $34.95 (though these are backordered).

BTW, while some people feel weird wearing only lycra, it is much more comfortable than baggies and much cheaper than buying a good pair of baggies.

otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004
    With all due respect to your LBS, they are always more expensive.

If you have a Sportchalet in your area, check them out. They always have a discounted rack. I just picked up a PI jersey w/pocket for $19.99 (list price = $55) and a Cannondale Tierra jersey for $14.99 (list price = $35).

But don't skimp on the cycling shorts.

I railed it like Kong
    Don't overlook cycling socks. I recently tried a pair just to see if they made a difference or not. My feet stayed cooler the whole ride- less sweat, less rub. I went back and bought 2 more while on sale. I ride in Phoenix and every bit of coolness helps.

Right on with poly shirts and not cotton. Invest in 1 really good pair of shorts. There is a reason they cost that much. I always wore the higher end supergo baggies, then switched to a fox pair. Big difference over time.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Just wondering...

Does anyone ever wear MX jerseys with the additional padding at the elbows and shoulders just for a little added protection in case of falls?

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by anthraciterunner
    Does anyone ever wear MX jerseys with the additional padding at the elbows and shoulders just for a little added protection in case of falls?
    If you don't mind the heat then that's a good idea... MX jerseys are built to last, and the padding would help. I wouldn't recommend them for riding in the desert though!

If you know your size, check out eBay for deals on bike clothing. All of my best deals to date have come from there: 2 pairs of Fox baggies for $20 and $15, Primalwear jersey for $25. Avoid the 'Ascent' shorts... my hubby has a pair that ripped after the first ride and they don't seem to be very well made. Most of the stuff on there seems to be new with tags as well. For tops, any moisture wicking T-shirt will do. I bought a tennis shirt for $10 from TJMaxx which works just as well as any of the cycling jerseys I have.

- Jen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    im still a newb myself,

Currently I wear a cotton T and cannondale padded sorts under regular baggy blue jean shorts. I know that the T will have to change when it gets real hot but I haven't had any problems out of the shorts set up.

Total cost = $30 for padded shorts + rummaging through clothes.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerome_oneil
    I fist started with lycras. Were OK. One day my damn lycras got ripped when getting the bike to my car, so I had to get some blue jeans. Thought I would feel yuk, but I really like them. Cheaper than lycras. When going on epics, I still prefer to use lycras, but for anything else I use jeans or cutoff jeans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have some regular lycra bike shorts now, but would like to get some baggies. Do the baggies cause problems with the seam going up the middle? Seems like sitting on the seem would become uncomfortable.

Is there a difference in baggie cargo shorts for $20 at Old Navy, and $80 ones at my LBS? If the onces at the LBS have padding in them, could I just put a pair of lycra shorts under my cheap cargos and be okay? Thanks

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004

Starter brand at Walmart

As far as shirts go... Walmart carries Starter brand athletic clothing. Check out their shirts and socks as a less expensive alternative to the bike brands. The fabrics are not as nice as the jersey that I have, but they are good for the price.

Over the past year or two, I've bought two long sleeve base layers, a summer shirt, and light weight pants. I paid between $9 and $15 for each. I use these for playing soccer and riding and they work fine.

For jerseys, I watch for great sales and only buy if the price over half off. As long as your not in a hurry, you can get decent gear for a lot less.

Jim

P.S. Once place that I don't go cheap is on shorts. My tender posterior requires Pearl Izumi or Nike shorts.