nimble biker

New question here. MTB carbon sole shoes performance?

Has anyone used carbon based sole on MTB shoes? Does the shoes carbon sole break under pressure of rocks & debris on the trail? I noticed alot of manufacturers producing carbon sole on MTB shoes to reduce weight and increase stiffness. I wonder if the reduction in weight might have endanger the safety of the rider. Carbon is known to be stiff material but it might not withstand lateral concussion forsce of the rider foot pounding rocky terrain.

I need your input of these shoes. Some of you must used these shoes right now. Can you tell me if the carbon sole has sustained physical damaged?

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I used a pair of Shimano M-220 carbon soled MTB shoes for 4+ years with no damage. Now I have a pair of Nike carbon soled MTB shoes that I've used for about 1 year. I love both pairs. The shimanos are still good, I just decided to retire (backup shoes) them since I could get a killer deal on the nikes. No damage to either sole from rocks, roots, pedals, etc.

A word of caution, once you ride carbon sole you will never go back to any other sole due to the incredible stiffness and power transfer. They may be a little hard to walk in, but I didn't get them to walk in.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Chrome Toaster
    I know plenty of people who ride carbon mtb shoes and never had a problem. I use carbon shoes and my road bike and would not give them up. I got soreness from hot spots on the normal plastic sole of the Sidi Genius and then got the carbon version which is otherwise exactly the same shoe. The entire sole basically becomes a platform because there is virtually no flex on it. The cleat can't push through to creat pressure points. You can pretty much run any cleat and pedal and no matter how big or small the contact surface between the pedal and shoe you can't tell the difference. The only reason I don't use them on the MTB is because Sidi doesn't make them yet. Shimano shoes unfortunately don't get along with my feet.

mtbr member

Timely topic

I'm also getting ready to pull the trigger on some new shoes. I tried on the Sidi Dom 5's and despite how everyone raves about the comfort of these, I did not like the feel. I also did not like the wimpy tread on the sole.

I tried on the Specialized Carbon shoes, very comfortable with aggressive sole. This one is a possibility.

Tried on the Shimano 225's? I think this is the model. It's their top of the line shoe. Easily the most comfortable on my foot. Fairly aggressive sole, but the construction of the shoe did not seem equal to the Specialized.

I ride in pretty rocky terrain most of the time and want a shoe that will last with my frequent dabs and hike-a-bikes.

At this point, I'm having a hard time choosing between the Specialized and the Shimano.

I guess I'll see which one I can get the best deal on.

C

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    I'm also getting ready to pull the trigger on some new shoes. I tried on the Sidi Dom 5's and despite how everyone raves about the comfort of these, I did not like the feel. I also did not like the wimpy tread on the sole.

I tried on the Specialized Carbon shoes, very comfortable with aggressive sole. This one is a possibility.

Tried on the Shimano 225's? I think this is the model. It's their top of the line shoe. Easily the most comfortable on my foot. Fairly aggressive sole, but the construction of the shoe did not seem equal to the Specialized.

I ride in pretty rocky terrain most of the time and want a shoe that will last with my frequent dabs and hike-a-bikes.

At this point, I'm having a hard time choosing between the Specialized and the Shimano.

I guess I'll see which one I can get the best deal on.

C
    Unfortunately trying a shoe on alone won't tell you how it will feel an hour into a ride. I had that problem with Shimano shoes. They felt great when you tried them on but after 45min they would pinch the top of my foot and it goes numb really bad. Sidi's tread is definately not the most agressive but the shoe is overall the best built and longest lasting of the bunch. Most people find them to be the most comfortable shoes once it breaks in. The main drawback i've seen on Specialized shoes with just about everyone I know who used them, at least up until not too long ago, is that the sole would always start to come off from the front. My opinion is that they are actually not that well made.

Giant Anthem Rider

I tried both Shimano m221 & Sidi Dom 4

A LBS had a going out of business sale and I bought both pairs with the idea of selling one later on Ebay. I bought them at a very low cost. Anyway, my former shoe the Shimano M220 lasted a very long time with no problems and I liked them very much. The carbon made for just the most positive delivery of whatever power I had to give. THe only problem was some numbing in my feet. With the newer shoes and wanted to see if I would have the same numbing problem in non-carbon shoes. Yup, I did have similar problems with the Sidi Dom4s. So I chose between the two using other criteria. The Sidi's Uppers are very cormfortable much more so than the Shimano, but they can not compare in stiffness. With the Sidis it was like I could feel exactly where the cleat was. I kept the M221s and they are still in very good condition after 1.5 yrs. The only durability problem with carbon sole shoes is that they wear under the pressure of pedals like Egg Beaters. A small indentation was wearing into the carbon at the top a bottom of the cleat in my M220s. So witrh the M221s I used the thin metal plates (shaped like the number 8 on its side) that come with some Shimano cleats so the pedals bars would slam against it rather than the carbon.

I already rode that
    They still wouldnt be making the shoes if the carbon failed in them.
    All you need is a stiff soled mtb shoe and you'll be set.
    I like this shoe and I'm considering it for a new pair from my old LG 2 strap shoe which I used to race with and does had a lil flex in the sole.
    For the price I think its great as its the same shoe that sixsixone came out with but a cheaper price.

Of course time will tell if it does hold up but it cant be that bad.

BHS MTB team member

sole weardown

a word of caution, if you are using eggbeaters, the binding mechanism might over time wear two grooves into the bottom of the sole around the cleat. this happened to my friend who had the previous carbon soled Shimano shoes (not the super silver ones). he epoxed in the grooves and it seems to work okay.
    I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

nimble biker
    thanks for the input of carbon shoes guys.