View Poll Results: Mouth Guard?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't use mouth protection of any kind

26 76.47%
  • No, I don't use a mouth guard because I use a full-face helmet

2 5.88%
  • Yes, I use an off the shelf mouth guard (please post brand)

2 5.88%
  • Yes, I use a custom mouth guard (please post brand)

4 11.76%

Thread: Mouth Guard

mtbr member

New question here. Mouth Guard

Who uses one and what do you have?
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I use a under armor armor bite it goes on your bottom teeth to help stop the grinding when I'm pedaling it also helps my breathing I really like it....they also make a normal mouth piece

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got.

Custom made from my dental office. My uppers are fully covered, molars included.

I had these made when I played ice hockey years ago. Now I use it only when I don the full face. Helps reduce jaw chatter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    some info worth reading over:

Sports Dentistry Online - Athletic Mouthguards

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I got an O-Pro mouth guard after seeing the results of Francois' face plant a few years ago. It stays in my pack and comes out on more burly descents. On lift days, I'll wear it in tandem w/ my FF helmet for the concussion protection.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I just got out of an endodontics appt. and I'm thinking I need some protection for the investment I'm about to make.

I already called my regular dentist's office and they don't do custom sports guards, only don't-grind-your-teeth-while-you're-sleeping guards. Being very careful not to mention a specific brand (I noticed) they told me I can get a kit for a custom sports guard and they could help me with it if necessary. I've looked at the ShockDoctor mouth guard so far and it looks good but pricy compared to the off-the-shelf guards. Just how much better is a custom? Is it really $130 better? Also, I noticed they include a standard off the shelf version mouth guard to use while waiting for the lab to finish the custom. So couldn't I just use a standard mouth guard instead? I mean, a custom is definitely worth the added expense if it prevents damage considerably better than an off the shelf version. But if they both perform about the same...not so much. And are there any other custom mouth guard manufacturers that offer kits like that?

After seeing how expensive this fairly minor work is going to be even with good insurance, I start to wonder just how expensive a complete re-build would be if I had a wreck and really messed things up. Which then leads me to wonder if I shouldn't have had at least something all along? And if so, what???

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Am I missing something, or would a Met Parachute offer significantly more protection from impact to teeth, and be in the same ballpark price-wise as a custom guard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Am I missing something, or would a Met Parachute offer significantly more protection from impact to teeth, and be in the same ballpark price-wise as a custom guard?
    As I see it, the full-face helmet bow will absorb/deflect direct impacts to the face, but not really help with your jaw being smacked shut from momentum or something getting up under the helmet.

The Met would provide some protection, but not for your upper and lower teeth from smashing into each other.

If you have fillings/crowns... a mouth guard might help you keep them also.

I've used them in sports other than biking... I may reconsider that though.
    Nice topic!

mtbr member
    You guys make some good points for face protection vs. teeth protection.

What I've learned so far from the link Rudster provided and from the OPro and ShockDoctor websites:

Shrink-to-fit mouth guards are garbage and should be avoided at all costs. Laminate mouth guards are the way to go.

The more layers a laminate has the more protection it offers and the maximum layers currently available are three.

A guard that repositions your tongue and lower jaw will enhance strength and breathing capacity. It also helps lower concussion risk by preventing compression of the joint where your upper and lower jaws meet (condyle joint).

The tighter it fits to your teeth the easier it is to talk and breath with it on.

The primary benefit of customization is tightness of fit.

Have I got that about right? Is there anything else I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    WSMAC= excellent post.

Skull, you've pretty much covered everything.
    Last edited by Rudster; 01-20-2012 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, at this point I think I've pretty much made up my mind which guard I want. Thanks for all the help guys!

One last question, though. Can you leave these things in when you drink water? I'm not talking about sports drinks or gels or anything, just plain water. I've got a drink tube setup that lets me sip water while I'm riding, hands-free. I'd like to be able to continue doing that it's pretty convenient.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I can't speak/comment on the other brands out there.

Mine was custom made at a dental office. Fits like a glove. Will not fall out of place.
    Yes, I am able to speak with it in place. I am able to draw water from my pack as well.

Again, I only use mine when the trail requires the full face helmet.

mtbr member
    That seems pretty consistent with what I would expect. If it's tight enough to talk with it in, it's going to be tight enough to stay put while drinking. Excellent. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    I'm a dental technician and I've never even considered a mouth guard for biking. I just never really thought about it. Good idea though, a custom made one from the dentist will feel way better than a boil form.