mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Mountain biking shoes?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there are mountain biking specific shoes (not clips). Also, how thick are the soles? I'm asking this because I have like 1.5" of standing clearance with shoes on; 16" was the smallest bike they had for the Trek 4900 except for the 13" which is way too small. I'm just wearing running shoes to bike in, and it feels as if my feet get a little numb...anyone else experience this problem? Also, any suggestions on biking shoes (if they even exist!)?

Thanks!

JORBA: Six Mile Run

Cannondale.....

If your not using clipless pedals(which you really should try), cannondale has some nice shoes. I'm sure there are many other good ones out there....

http://www.cannondale.com/clothing/0...del-5FR01.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try Oakley, Merrills or any other outdoor shoe of your choice. Since you're not going clipin(big mistake) then any shoe that's comfortable should suffice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey guys, the only reason I'm looking at moutain biking shoes is that my regular shoes kind of cause my feet to be numb. Will mountain biking shoes be better? Also, are the thickness of the soles similar to running shoe sole thickness? THanks!

JORBA: Six Mile Run

Bike shoes

Quote Originally Posted by RunGuy17
    Hey guys, the only reason I'm looking at moutain biking shoes is that my regular shoes kind of cause my feet to be numb. Will mountain biking shoes be better? Also, are the thickness of the soles similar to running shoe sole thickness? THanks!
    Shoes made for biking tend to be very stiff so that you transfer all of your energy into the cranks, and not into bending and flexing your shoes, so they will be better in that way. I really cant help with the numb feet thing, I've never experienced this. You really should go clipless!
    Last edited by Wobbegong; 08-23-2005 at 10:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Yep, the bike shoes will be better.

Bike shoes are very rigid so that your feet don't fold over the pedals and are usually a bit thicker than running shoes. Many off-road shoes are made with a piece of rubber sole over the mounting bolts for the cleat so you cut/tear it away to use cleats or leave it there for platforms.

If you're having any kind of foot trouble on the bike I gotta recommend a cycling shoe.

Ron

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    SIXSIXONE makes 3 different shoes for flats, 2 i believe are skate style, and the other is more hiker like. Also most skate board shoes work well too
    [SIZE=7]RIDE BIKES[/SIZE]
    Ride Bike. Eat Bike. Sleep Bike. Live Bike.

mtbr member

Any style of "trail shoe"

Any type of trail shoe will be better than running shoes. I used to ride in running shoes, and yep, my feet would go numb. They're just too squishy.

Really, I'd echo other comments you've gotten - get some cycling-specific shoes. For one, they are much stiffer which means less numbness from pushing the pedals. For two, they don't have nearly as much padding in the uppers, which means they will fit better in your cages (if you use straps and cages) than a lot of trails shoes will.

Ultimately, if you find that you're riding a lot, think seriously about going clipless. I used to think it was just a bunch of gee-whiz-bling-industry-wants-to-sell-me-something, but I've since switched and haven't looked back. I even went a short stint on my road bike without clipless and I HATED IT. Clipless pedals and cycling-specific shoes are far and away more comfortable than anything else.

ZIP

I used to have the same problem. When I bought my first pair of clipless shoes the sales guy told me they were made to fit tight (narrow) The first hour out my toes went numb and I had to barefoot it. I kept trying the shoes but still had numbness.

Somebody I knew had wide feet and said to try the sixsixone skate style shoes. They worked great and that's all I have used since.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just use my skate shoes and it seems fine. They are designed to have a lot of grip on the bottom and really work well with the platform pedals I have.

I am close to going clipless though, but I want to beef up my handling skills without them first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i use Duffs skate shoes for biking but i am hoping to get SIXSIXONE launch shoes for biking and school. Enties also makes a Bike shoe for Flats. And if you're gonna run flats, run BMX style flats, not the mountain bike ones with the steak knife like cage. run the larger flat with spikes BMX ones better grip less cuts but worse cuts when they do happen.
    [SIZE=7]RIDE BIKES[/SIZE]
    Ride Bike. Eat Bike. Sleep Bike. Live Bike.