mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Most Well Ventilated Full-Face

Hello,

My name is Adam. First post. I just got a mountain bike, a Chromag Aperture 26". I rode dirtbikes and BMX for years, so I'm looking forward to re-kindling that two-wheeled passion.

I've got a slight problem though: I live in Colorado Springs. This is only a problem because the elevation of the city (6035ft), the elevation of most of the riding spots (8000ft+), and its relatively southern latitude make the sun's rays much more powerful than in most other places, and I have a skin disease where I lack pigment in my arms, legs, face and hands.

I have dealt with this for over a decade now, so it really isn't much of a big deal. I wear long, well-ventilated, light colored clothes and, in most cases, am actually cooler after a day in the sun than most of the folks who go spend all day in t-shirts with skin exposed. However, it raises the issue of an appropriate helmet. Obviously, I can't wear a regular helmet; there is no way to cover my face. Sunscreen is also not an option, so please don't suggest it. In a decade, I've probably tried two or three dozen sunscreens, and they all either irritate my skin, cause me to break out in subcutaneous cysts, sweat off into my eyes, or don't work altogether.

This leads me to the conclusion that I will ride with a full-face. On that note, I want to know what the most well-ventilated full-face on the market is. I don't care about looks, I don't care about color (except, maybe I'd prefer one that didn't ONLY come in black or some other heat-absorbing color), and I don't care about who makes it, or what the warranty is, or any of that stuff. I just want the most well-ventilated one available; it gets pretty hot around here in the summer.

Anyone got any suggestions??

Thank you!!

Adam

mtbr member
    I feel for ya.. The wife and I honeymooned in Colorado and not knowing about the difference in sun exposure I got the worst burn of my life. It was a cool day and we Mt biked and drove around all day with the top down on the jeep. Its not a good thing when you can barely move and your on your honeymoon.

I can't offer any advice on full face helmets but I was wondering if an enduro style might work? It would cover most of your face and then maybe you could use a bandanna to cover your mouth and chin. Sorry can't offer more help but maybe somebody will chime in when this goes to the top of the page. Good luck.
    Maybe something like this but there are definitely better vented helmets then this one.

Name:  protec.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  4.2 KB
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That looks like something that would work. What kind of helmet is that? Just an "enduro" helmet? Is that little bandana thing part of it, or is that just an example of someone settin it up that way? As long as I had a way to keep the bandana up, and to protect the back of my neck, that seems like it would work.

Anybody else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahosey01 View Post
    That looks like something that would work. What kind of helmet is that? Just an "enduro" helmet? Is that little bandana thing part of it, or is that just an example of someone settin it up that way? As long as I had a way to keep the bandana up, and to protect the back of my neck, that seems like it would work.
    I used that as just an example of an enduro style helmet with bandana, but it does look like that one has the bandanna attached to the helmet. The one in the pic is Pro tec brand but from what I've heard they're a bit heavy and hot.There are many models of enduro helmets.. Fox flux, Giro Feature, Bell super etc. I use the feature and really like it. I think with a bandana or two and some velcro you could rig up something on most enduro helmets.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Kali avatar and the new urge helmet (dont know it's name off the top of my head) might be what you're looking for

Trail Ninja
    Urge Down-O-Matic is a contender, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were better. I have one and I wear a bandana underneath to soak up sweat regardless. Some people just sweat a lot... I feel far more comfortable with the FF and bandana than I do with an XC lid with just a sweat band like a Halo, though a bandana under the XC lid is comfy too. I rode with a FF in the summer and I find it keeps off the sun pretty well, considering SoCal hills/mtns usually have boulders instead of trees, and even in the wooded areas, it keeps the bugs away. Can drink with a camelbak, but would shift my goggles over to drink from a water bottle if I'm stopped. I don't feel a need to take it off on breaks, except to talk more easily.

mtbr member
    The new Met Parachute is pretty ventilated..I think any full face is gonna be hot natured..but this one seems to have a lot of vents...its not available til april..and its not sold here in the US..its pretty cool looking and I want one (even tho I know it would be a hot mess)..sorry I couldn't be more help.

MTB Parachute
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

pin it
    PB did a review of a full face enduro helmet by MET. I don't know anyone personally who has tested it. I'm not in the market of one but my husband has been shopping around. This helmet is an interesting mix of pros and cons while being a very light weight, and well ventilated full face protection

Preview: MET 2014 Helmets - Pinkbike
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I checked some other threads and it looks like the specialized deviant 2 gets good marks for ventilation in a full face helmet.. Heres a link.. Deviant ii full face helmet

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    will you be able to get the MET parachute in the US? I really want a well ventilated FF helmet. I have an oneal airtech and is way to hot for enduro racing. Any suggestions besides the MET parachute? How is the urge archi enduro?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Spec Deviant II has a lot of vents on the top. It's the best I've used so far as staying cool, although it's only the second I've used after my Giro Remedy. I'm tempted to buy a Met Parachute from a European seller when they come out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I use a SixSixOne Comp Full Face Helmet and love it. has 7 vent holes. I am in AZ and it gets hot here
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredmx View Post
    will you be able to get the MET parachute in the US? I really want a well ventilated FF helmet. I have an oneal airtech and is way to hot for enduro racing. Any suggestions besides the MET parachute? How is the urge archi enduro?
    the met parachute has never been sold in the US (as far as I know)...Ive seen one guy wearing one but that was a long time ago..so Im sure if there is a will there is a way to get one...the new one they got coming out looks pretty sweet. Im sure some company can ship it over here...it might cost a little bit more...I like the new look..Im seriously thinking about getting one.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Met Parachute never was a FF helmet. From what I see - the next model also not going to be full replacement, because of the retention system. FF meant to be snug and with liner, in order to protect the precious brain.

Disclosure - I have the old Parachute, and use it extensively for rocky trails.

Since I'm from Israel, and it's very hot here during summer, the well ventilated FF helmet is the holy graal for all mtbers here. To say it simple - when it's hot - it's hot. There's no point either the helmet has 7 or 27 venting holes. My army and MTB experience shows, that there should be enough holes to evaporate body heat, and for this purpose 4 or 5 will be OK. The rest of the cooling should come from drinking water - the more you drink, the more you sweat. The more you sweat, the cooler the body. One thing that you should get in mind is to keep your salt balance, if you're riding long rides. If you have enough water, even if you're dressed in full uniform with a bulletproof vest and sitting in a freaking hot tank - you will be OK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    the met parachute has never been sold in the US (as far as I know)...Ive seen one guy wearing one but that was a long time ago..so Im sure if there is a will there is a way to get one...the new one they got coming out looks pretty sweet. Im sure some company can ship it over here...it might cost a little bit more...I like the new look..Im seriously thinking about getting one.
    I was semi interested in the MET Parachute but once I saw the price I kinda figured I'd wait. IIRC was over $200 by a bit and still need to be shipped here.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    +1 on the 661 Comp.

mtbr member
    Another thing you should consider is that many MTB helmets have huge vents that are so big they expose a little of the top of your head to the sun. Non issue for most people, but it may be for you.

I have seen two guys with Bandanas on their faces on the trail, so it can be done. I think it can get very hot. You have to try.

On a different note, it also sounds like with your condition you are not living in an ideal location, MTB or otherwise. There are other parts of the country where you will fair much better.

Good luck and welcome back to two wheels!

Ow!
    Late to the discussion, but:

If you are interested in a FF for sun protection and not for increased collision protection (which is usually what the discussions are about), then the MET Parachute (old or new style) would be worth a try. It still may have too much skin exposure, so may not be adequate. I use the old style, and always remind people it is a XC helmet with added parts. Only a little added protection up front over a regular lid.

If need more skin protection from a true FF, then I recommend looking into a Kali Avatar--my favorite FF. For a true FF, it is cool and very light. There are some on ebay right now for about $130.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Another vote for the Kali Avatar. Its one of the coolest (temperature) helmets I've worn. The other is the Vigor Vamoose II. There's a large on e to the bay right now.

mtbr member
    I use 661 comp (very hot & humid in oz at the minute ) no dramas at all.Pretty well vented. I wear mine permanently for all sort of riding. Great looking helmet ,cheap & offers good protection. It comes in white as you mentioned you didn't want black
    Jack of all trades,master of none

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I don't have any specific FF helmet experience so I don't have a suggestion there. BUT.... as a side option, I've found that night riding is a heck of a lot of fun. I was able to get my son and I some 1800 lumen led's off of ebay that we use as helmet lights and they're awesome. I'lll get another set this spring for us to use as bar mounted lights and that should make it like daylight out there.

I know that doesn't answer your direct question, and you probably already night ride.... but if you don't it does open up your options a wee bit. Best of luck in your helmet hunt.