mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Modifying Mt. Bike Shoes

I need some feedback please. I just heard that some Mt. bike riders will cut a section of old tire, remove the wire or Kevlar and glue it to the middle of the sole of the shoe. The purpose of this is to have a sticky surface to secure your shoes when you are unclipped on a tough technical section.

Just need to know what type of glue, adhesive you would use to attach it. I was thinking epoxy might fill the bill.

Your thoughts/experience appreciated.

mtbr member
    epoxy might work, or contact cement, maybe gorilla glue, or even regular old super glue?

i would cut the old tire up in many segments and then try them (with different glues) on an old pair of regular shoes...let them cure and then go running around to see which one(s) hold the best

good luck!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Nomadus
    I need some feedback please. I just heard that some Mt. bike riders will cut a section of old tire, remove the wire or Kevlar and glue it to the middle of the sole of the shoe. The purpose of this is to have a sticky surface to secure your shoes when you are unclipped on a tough technical section.

Just need to know what type of glue, adhesive you would use to attach it. I was thinking epoxy might fill the bill.

1. My shoes already have tread in the middle

2. I do not unclip in technical sections

3. FreeSole works best on bike shoes followed by Shoe Goo.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old man on a bike
    If ya gotta hike a bike get a shoe better suited to it, like the Lake MX165 with Vibram soles...although on occasion I've had to use some Shoe Goo to make repairs, good stuff.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Nomadus

That idea sounds crazy. It might be something to do to roadie shoes so you can ride regular pedals, but your mtb shoes should have enough grip already.

How would you walk around with a tire glued to your foot? I doubt you could get it to stick for very long regardless of what you use. Shoe Goo is good stuff for shoe repair, but I think you may want to try an industrial epoxy that works on rubber and porous plastics.

If you go through with it, post up some photots, and give us a review of how it works.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Members who have read this thread: 0