Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    741

    MIPS helmet feedback

    Interested to hear from people who've tried one of the MIPS helmets how happy they are with it.

    As of today, there are four MIPS mtb helmets available:
    - POC Trabec Race MIPS
    - Scott Lin
    - Scott Taal
    - Scott Stego


    BikeRadar was lukewarm about the MIPS in the Trabec, they said: "the MIPS liner isn’t as stable as a conventional helmet’s retention system. Ours jostled and jiggled around quite a bit." Have others found that too, with the Trabec or with any of the Scotts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    741
    The only review of the Stego I've found is in Italian, translated by google here. Pretty decent review even with some translation garble. Bottom line they like it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ti-triodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    119
    The rotation is part of the MIPS design, IIRC. According to the studies, in a crash, the head spins in a way that normal helmets aren't designed to handle. This causes concussions, or worse. The MIPS supposedly alleviates this tendency.
    In the long run, I'm sure things are a lot more complicated than this and MIPS is just the beginning of proper helmet design and at least things are moving forward. Helmet technology hasn't advanced much in the last 20 years and it's unsettling to think that a $200 helmet doesn't protect you any better than a $25 helmet.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    741
    There is a comparative review of Stego vs. Bell Super. Alas, it's in Czech, and the google translation, here, is close to gibberish. As best I can tell, they like the Stego fit better and also like that it's lighter, but thought the Bell was better ventilated and easier to use with goggles and videocams.

    If nothing else, some decent photos of the two helmets for the style-conscious AM riders among us.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    741
    Well, I just ordered a Stego, but I'm still curious to see feedback from others. I'll post my own once I've got something to say.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Well, I just ordered a Stego, but I'm still curious to see feedback from others. I'll post my own once I've got something to say.
    Did you get the backorder email? Now its pushed back to end of November delivery. I may just order a POC. I need a helmet now since I broke mine in my last crash.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 08-31-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    741
    Didn't get any email, but I see its on their website. Wonder how many sales that will cost them.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ti-triodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    119
    The Stego looks like a pretty sweet helmet. Is it true it's only available in a medium? There's some good pics in the link below.


    Scott release new Enduro helmet | Spoke Magazine

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
    The Stego looks like a pretty sweet helmet. Is it true it's only available in a medium? There's some good pics in the link below.


    Scott release new Enduro helmet | Spoke Magazine
    Did you try the link right above your post? If you had you see you can pre-order in S, M and L
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    734
    Is there any quantification of the different MIPS systems? It would seem the amount of "float" in the system would affect the crash protection, and that should vary between manufacturers, if not the helmet models themselves.

    Also, MIPS is sold as safer than conventional, and there is likely something to that, but is there any kind of real data as to how "safer" is quantified?

  11. #11
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    Also, MIPS is sold as safer than conventional, and there is likely something to that, but is there any kind of real data as to how "safer" is quantified?
    This Bicycling article about MIPS helmets gives some testing results and other information about that "quantification". Liability issues kinda limit how that information can be used in marketing, in short.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    Is there any quantification of the different MIPS systems? It would seem the amount of "float" in the system would affect the crash protection, and that should vary between manufacturers, if not the helmet models themselves.

    Also, MIPS is sold as safer than conventional, and there is likely something to that, but is there any kind of real data as to how "safer" is quantified?
    Who knows about how much float, you could email MIPS yourself and ask. Since the system is licensed out, I'm sure there would be minimums that each helmet would have to meet.

    Google MIPS and read the results for yourself.
    MIPS | Take a look in the latest issue of Popular Science

    I can't find the video, but one I saw had them dropping the helmet onto something like a treadmill to simulate the rotational hit vs. the standard drop straight down on an anvil.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ti-triodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Did you try the link right above your post? If you had you see you can pre-order in S, M and L


    I didn't see that. I wasn't in the market for one, but I read somewhere they only came in Medium, which was surprising. Thanks for clearing it up.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    342
    Good to know about the Stego! I've been looking for a MIPS helmet for a while but couldn't find the other two Scott helmets, and i hadn't convinced myself to drop $230 on the POC.

    At any rate, consider me subscribed to this thread, and in serious consideration of the Stego...pending your review
    Blur LT & Highball

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Good to know about the Stego! I've been looking for a MIPS helmet for a while but couldn't find the other two Scott helmets, and i hadn't convinced myself to drop $230 on the POC.

    At any rate, consider me subscribed to this thread, and in serious consideration of the Stego...pending your review
    They are on back order which right now for me is a bad thing. I cracked my helmet and got some pretty good gashes on my forehead. I ordered the Stego at the point in time I thought I could ride without a FF helmet. But everyday I change my mind.

    I really wanted to see the MET Parachute replacement.

    I did get a POC Cortex DH MIPS helmet for bike park days. Nice set up. It has a shear pin that breaks at a given load to allow the MIPS to activate. Since it's a multi-impact helmet, if the helmet is still ok you replace the pin and you're all set to go again.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    342
    On the positive side, you know that your average $20 Bell helmet works every bit as well as a $100 Fox helmet, so if you need something to hold you over until the Stego arrives then it won't kill you.

    I hadn't seen the MET helmet either. Interesting design!
    Blur LT & Highball

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Well, I just ordered a Stego, but I'm still curious to see feedback from others. I'll post my own once I've got something to say.
    Where did you ordered the Stego?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    484
    I'm currently using a POC Trabec MIPS 2013, I crushed hard last week hit my head on the ground hard I didn't feel anything knocking my head. MIPS tech is worth it even though it cost more but it will protect your brain .

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6
    I just put my POC Trabec MIPS to good use last week during my commute. Car vs. bike. Guess who won?

    The car veered its nose deep into the bike lane to get around a stationary car (making an uncontrolled left), of course right as i was whizzing by at 25 mph. Collided then superman launch into the intersection. I landed on my head and right shoulder then rolled forever. Ambulance ride to the trauma center, but no head injuries, black out, or even a headache. The helmet really did its job. Would a non-MIPS helmet done just as well? Who knows.

    But on the trail I found the MIPS to be extremely annoying. MIPS causes the helmet to constantly jiggle forward and backward. Really bothersome and distracting on rough sections, sometimes to the point of the visor blocking vision. Cinching down the headband really tight helps, but only so much, and then you have a headache. Bikeradar had the same criticism. It's almost a safety issue in my opinion.

    So my replacement commuter/trail helmet will probably not have MIPS. But still debating. I need shoulder MIPS though.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by willnicks View Post
    I just put my POC Trabec MIPS to good use last week during my commute. Car vs. bike. Guess who won?

    The car veered its nose deep into the bike lane to get around a stationary car (making an uncontrolled left), of course right as i was whizzing by at 25 mph. Collided then superman launch into the intersection. I landed on my head and right shoulder then rolled forever. Ambulance ride to the trauma center, but no head injuries, black out, or even a headache. The helmet really did its job. Would a non-MIPS helmet done just as well? Who knows.

    But on the trail I found the MIPS to be extremely annoying. MIPS causes the helmet to constantly jiggle forward and backward. Really bothersome and distracting on rough sections, sometimes to the point of the visor blocking vision. Cinching down the headband really tight helps, but only so much, and then you have a headache. Bikeradar had the same criticism. It's almost a safety issue in my opinion.

    So my replacement commuter/trail helmet will probably not have MIPS. But still debating. I need shoulder MIPS though.
    wow! sorry for your accident but thanks because this has clarified whether i really need MIPS... you my friend saved me $$$.. just regular POC TRABEC for me...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19

    The same effect

    I wonder if wearing a regular helmet and a sweaty dewrag would have the same effect?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambow View Post
    I wonder if wearing a regular helmet and a sweaty dewrag would have the same effect?
    Honestly, while this was in jest, I think it is the bigger question. While there seems to have been studies to show that MIPS is better, the quantification of that seems lacking. How much better? Under what circumstances is it better? Are there multiple levels of MIPS, or is it just there or not? would a helmet liner add/subtract from the resulting crash?

    Likely my next helmet will have MIPS of some variety, as I would like to avoid concussion as much as the next guy. However I would also like to have a better understanding of what MIPS is capable of in the real world, and, more importantly, what it is not.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    81
    I have had my POC Trabec Race MIPS for about 4 months, and I love it! It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned ( I usually buy Giro) and just looking at the fit and finish of it gives me the impression of a quality product. I have noticed no "jiggling" at all.... I would buy this again in a heart beat. I paid $169 after doing a little online searching.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    165
    What is it that has you so sold on MIPS?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    What is it that has you so sold on MIPS?
    After going over-the-bars and researching what little I could find on relative safety of bike helmets, the article in Bicycling Magazine gave me the impression MIPS will provide at least some increase in safety over a conventional helmet. How much improvement I don't know, but after looking at the overall construction of the POC helmet, and comparing it to what else I saw out there, it just looked more substantial. Again, no hard empirical data to support my choice, but it just appeared to be a better choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. POC Race MIPS strap?
    By fondoo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
  2. Poc Trabec Race or Trabec Race MIPS or Troy LEE a1 helmet
    By rave81 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
  3. POC Trabec Race MIPS in stock?
    By Salespunk in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM
  5. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •