JeffcoHo

Merino Wool on and off the trails

So I have a 200 weight Icebreaker Chase top (Thumbloops are the shiz) and love it. I wore it for days in a row in Moab. It breaths, it doesn't itch, it keeps you comfortable in a wide range of temps, it works well when you get it wet. I am not the kind of guy that spends a lot on clothes so breaking out $70 for it was not easy. (Got it on clearance.)

Now I was thinking of getting a 150 weight t shirt for off the trail. I wanted 1 shirt that I could wear for a few days and not have it get ripe and be comfortable.

Any one that hikes/bikes/camps that wears these? Or the Smartwool or Ibex ones.
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I use Devold merino long sleeve as a base layer in cold temps, for biking, hiking (few days in a row sometimes), snowboarding... not so much in summer, bit too warm for me. The turtleneck zipper is a bit annoying, but no big deal. Best money ever spent on a clothing item .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a lightweight I/O Bio and a Patagonia. Do own an Icebreaker sweater and the quality is great. Rarely wear mid weight wool on the bike unless it's near freezing (not common here). Ibex wool is just as good (maybe better) and they have a closeout section on their website. Excellent cycling and ski gear.
    Outdoor Research make poly merino blend shirts. Not nearly as warm or expensive but fine on a day in the 50's. Wear these a lot casually and on the bike.
    Personally I like zip turtlenecks.
    agmtb

JeffcoHo
    I love the way wool breaths so I am guessing that if you get it light enough it can actually keep you cooler/ more comfortable than wool in the summer when you are standing around drinking a beer after a ride when its 90 out.

Is that $65 150 weight superfine more comfortable than a $15 cotton tee when it comes down to it?
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo
    Is that $65 150 weight superfine more comfortable than a $15 cotton tee when it comes down to it?
    Night and day, when you are sweaty, wet, or even just carry a backpack - cotton gets wet with your sweat, and stays wet and cold afterwards, making you feel miserable. High end wool - you don't feel any of that.

SamIAm
    just got myself an icebreaker 150 weight over the smartwool ver. liked the cut better.

i wear it till its coverd in sweat stains. doenst smell like death. can just rinse it out really and its good to go.

best t-shirt EVER! i would ditch cotton forever if i had the money.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo
    So I have a 200 weight Icebreaker Chase top (Thumbloops are the shiz) and love it. I wore it for days in a row in Moab. It breaths, it doesn't itch, it keeps you comfortable in a wide range of temps, it works well when you get it wet. I am not the kind of guy that spends a lot on clothes so breaking out $70 for it was not easy. (Got it on clearance.)

Now I was thinking of getting a 150 weight t shirt for off the trail. I wanted 1 shirt that I could wear for a few days and not have it get ripe and be comfortable.

Any one that hikes/bikes/camps that wears these? Or the Smartwool or Ibex ones.
    Basically all I wear is Ibex wool. Everything from the 150g up. The Ts are good, the Indy line. Love it all.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Merino is the bomb but when it comes to the lighterweight (<180?) you do have to be more careful with it. Merino catches on everything and the lighterweight stuff tears easily. A real bummer for the price you pay. Patagonia has a merino/poly blend on the lightest weight to make it more durable. I won't even wear gloves with velcro wrist closures because they snag and cause damage...and the velcro closures on the waist of my shorts, well I just have to grin and bear it.

That said, I'll only wear merino and I/O Bio, Icebreaker being my favorites.

For jerseys I only wear the Swobo 753 (27% merino/73% poly), lighter and cooler than the other heavier weight 100% merino, but again, they are very fragile. If you were to go with the Icebreaker jerseys, I would not carry too much in the rear pockets, even reinforced at the pocket joints, that merino fabric will most likely tear easier.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow
    Merino is the bomb but when it comes to the lighterweight (<180?) you do have to be more careful with it. Merino catches on everything and the lighterweight stuff tears easily. A real bummer for the price you pay. Patagonia has a merino/poly blend on the lightest weight to make it more durable. I won't even wear gloves with velcro wrist closures because they snag and cause damage...and the velcro closures on the waist of my shorts, well I just have to grin and bear it.

That said, I'll only wear merino and I/O Bio, Icebreaker being my favorites.

For jerseys I only wear the Swobo 753 (27% merino/73% poly), lighter and cooler than the other heavier weight 100% merino, but again, they are very fragile. If you were to go with the Icebreaker jerseys, I would not carry too much in the rear pockets, even reinforced at the pocket joints, that merino fabric will most likely tear easier.
    Yes, it can be more fragile, except for the Ibex Woolies 150g, which is pretty tough.
    mtbtires.com

nocturnal oblivion
    I'm all about merino, cotton has no place in athletic clothing. The lightweight Smartwool t's are great, though somewhat fragile especially when damp.
    The cheapest stuff is the Backcountry.com branded merino tees, though order a size up. I think I got mine for $30.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Yes, it can be more fragile, except for the Ibex Woolies 150g, which is pretty tough.
    What size do you wear, and what is the length from the back of the neck down to the waist? Can't find any locally so might have to order online.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    What size do you wear, and what is the length from the back of the neck down to the waist? Can't find any locally so might have to order online.
    Same size as tshirts. The Ibex tops tend to be "long"
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a bunch of I/O Merino long and short sleeve T's that I wear for all riding in all temps. They are amazingly soft and durable for merino. I/O uses a patented low torque technique to spin their yard.

http://www.io-bio.com/product/mens-signature-icon-tee

Two Headed Boy
    I have some 150 weight Icebreakers and LOVE them. I can wear them over and over without washing, even if I get them soaked in sweat, and I'm the kinda guy that cant wear a cotton shirt more than once without it reeking! I use them biking and backpacking, I've worn one for a week straight backpacking and it only smelled a little at the end.

I've had some Ibex and another brand, cant remember which, but anyhow Icebreakers I find are the best at resisting smells. So anyhow don't think you can go wrong with any Icebreakers.
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i took a chance on some merino wool long sleeve product (don't remember the name), it's thin, has thumb holes, and its freaking awesome...

i prefer it to anything else i own, and i have a lot of under armour gear...