mtbr member

Mavick Plasma Helmet ?

Trying to find an affordable road bike helmet that i can also use occasionally cross country. Does anyone have the Mavick Plasma? Price seems good but I dont want to purchase if it has bad reviews. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    The Plasma is a great helmet, very comfortable, the fit is great, has already been useful on a fall where i hit the ground with it and did his job; for me it has one negative aspect, the straps should be removable for washing.

mtbr member
    That's great to hear! I found it for $72.00, which seems like a really good deal. Think I will purchase and hand wash the straps. Thanks for the feedback!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    The Plasma is a great helmet, very comfortable, the fit is great, has already been useful on a fall where i hit the ground with it and did his job; for me it has one negative aspect, the straps should be removable for washing.
    Fit depends on your head. You MUST try on helmets to know how and if they fit you.

I have never seen any helmet with removable straps. None.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Mavick Plasma Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Fit depends on your head. You MUST try on helmets to know how and if they fit you.

Agreed. I have tried it on, it fits well. Still wanted to hear some feedback before purchasing. =)

mtbr member

Sure, she has to try it.
    Regarding the straps, i have a Lazer Genesis and the straps are removable.

Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    Sure, she has to try it.
    Regarding the straps, i have a Lazer Genesis and the straps are removable.
    The straps are not meant to be removed.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by tetongirl View Post
    Agreed. I have tried it on, it fits well. Still wanted to hear some feedback before purchasing. =)
    Go for it. Fit is the most important thing in picking a helmet, though I also prefer to have more side and back coverage.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I fell wearing a Mavic Syncro (very similar to the Plasma) and hit the side of the helmet on a flat rock. The helmet made a big dent in my head. I would stay away from any road helmet.

Get an all mountain helmet with much more coverage. I now wear a Troy Lee A1 and also have a POC Trabec Race.

mtbr member
    Which helmet would you suggest if looking for one that has more side and back coverage?

mtbr member
    Go for it. Fit is the most important thing in picking a helmet, though I also prefer to have more side and back coverage.

Which helmet would you suggest if looking for one that has more side and back coverage?

mtbr member
    Troy Lee A1

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Half cap helmets (snowboard helmets/skate helmets) are best in my opinion. I mean better in compassion to standard helmets you were talking about (like road helmet).

Like this: http://www.tactics.com/a/4ykc/9/prot...e-charcoal.jpg

It is guaranteed more safe and durable than road helmets/all mountain helmets. Proven by my self. After first a bit stronger fall you need to change your road/all mountain helmet because it is meant to dent/crack on the first fall.

Skate helmets/half cap helmets are cheaper, more simple, made from one piece. Only "so called downside" is that it has less ventilation than all mountain helmet. And that is not downside for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tetongirl View Post
    If you're interested in staying with Mavic, then look at the Notch. I was trying to decide between the Bell Super and Troy Lee A1 when I found the Notch on sale for a great price. The protection is similar to the other 2 helmets, but you must try any helmet on to see what you like.

For me, the Notch fit great and I always wanted a yellow helmet so it was an easy choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have that helmet and just had a recent crash wearing it. My front tire washed out on a soft patch and I went head forward into the ground. I must have hit above the visor because it didn't pop off. As soon as my head hit, it was bouncing back up from the impact...just in time to get whacked in the back of the helmet with the rear end of my bike that was flipping over me, snapping my head back down on the ground.

I got up as quickly as possible and the first thing I thought was if I wasn't wearing a helmet I would have been really, really jacked up (followed closely by the horror of thinking I totally mangled my brand new Anthem X Advanced...the bike was fine).

For a slight second my head felt like it does when you bump it on something, hard to describe the feeling (ringing?). I experienced three somewhat violent impacts (front neck muscles were sore for a few days after) but I walked (rode) away and finished my ride.

In the end, this helmet came through when needed and did what it was supposed to do and I would wear again for my XC type rides. As always, YMMV.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2