mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mavic Mantra Fit???

What is the fit of the AM category of Mavic shoes like? Mantra, Switchback, Alpine, etc?

Do they fit the same as the XC shoes, as the only Mavic shoe I've been able to find to try is the Razor and found them a little narrow and long in the forefoot.

Thanks

Oh, and wearing a Specialized MTB Comp now in 45/US12/UK11. What would be the best suggestion for sizing?
    Last edited by robnow; 05-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Anyone?

I'm also interested in how this category of Mavic shoes fit, especially in comparison to Shimano shoes. Is the same size required or do you need a bigger/smaller size than the Shimanos? Is the fit narrower, wider or similar?

I'm interested in the Mantra and the Alpine XL in particular.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm interest on buying Mavic Mantra. Did you figure out what is the size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ended up trying the Mantra and glad I did.

Specialized definitely fit me the best and I went from a 45 Spec to a 45 1/3 Mavic Mantra. It is typical European wear being slightly longer and narrower than the Spec (in my experience Spec and Shimano fit similar).

After two years of use they are a tighter (narrow) fit for the first few days of the season, but I get used to them quickly and put in epic rides, some with 1-2 hours of hike-a-bike, without issue. The grippy soles are excellent, especially on rock or wet wooden features. Halfway through this season one of the toe lugs ripped off and the string attaching one of the lower velcro straps is wearing through but overall I've been happy with these shoes. The two fat velcro straps are comfortable and secure.

Some type of update would be awesome with these as I believe they've been out now for four years without change, but I'm really looking forward to trying out the new Pearl Izumi X Project shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    One more question - would you say that those shoes are wider, regular or tighter? Do you have enough room for your fingers? I read somewhere that do to front protection they tend to push in sides of the foot. I usual have this kind of problem with regular sport shoes - but this I don't have where to test before buy it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, unfortunately they're narrow. And with the toe cap its stiff around the front and won't stretch much. As I said above, the first week of biking for the season, they feel tight due to the narrowness but after that I have no issues, not perfect but I make it work.