mtbr member
    Mar 2013

In the market for a new helmet - iXS Trail RS or 661 Recon?

Hey guys! In the market for a new helmet which will primarily be used for all mountain riding. The two that I have narrowed it down to are as follows:

iXS Trail RS - $120

661 Recon - $110

Does anyone have experience with either? If so, would love to hear your opinions! OR if you have another that you think I should check out then please post it! Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Go by best fit. Or, if you're buying online, get both and send one back when you determine best fit. I tried on a bunch of helmets and ended up with the IXS Trail. Its got a deep shell so it comes down low on your head. I also tried and liked the design of the Bell Super, but I couldn't get a good fit because I'm between sizes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    MakinMoves, have you looked at the TLD A1 helmet?
    It looks like you are max'd out at $120, but comfort and safety are the key ingredients, a DRONE version (scaled down graphic is $139) with the other models coming in at $165. Check this poll on MTB "What helmet will you purchase next?" and TLD comes in 3rd place behind beasts like bell and giro. Instagram

A1 Helmets

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys! I am still looking and will probably order one here in the next week or so. May just order a couple and see which I like best! Good advice!

Stiksandstone - I havent seen those new TLD helmets yet but they look sweet!

mtbr member
    I have the IXS Trail RS and the Bell Super.

The IXS:

- is lighter
    - less coverage
    - more ventilation
    - smaller less adjustable visor
    - looks a little more stylie
    - fits true to size
    - excellent retention system and pads

Bell Super

- heavier
    - better coverage
    - bigger nicely adjustable visor
    - less vents
    - not as stylie
    - fits large so think about sizing down

Because it's winter in the PNW and more slippery than usual I'm wearing the Bell most of the time. I can see wearing the IXS on hot days and for less gnarly rides.

They both fit my head well and are very comfortable. I like them pretty much the same although they have different pros and cons.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

In the market for a new helmet - iXS Trail RS or 661 Recon?

I've got the Recon and I like it just fine, but there are more full featured helmets out there for the price. I got mine 6 months ago on sale for $70, which is what I think it's worth. Still, it's comfy, vents well, and has pretty good coverage. Works for me.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Good post. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I have the IXS Trail RS and the Bell Super.

The IXS:

- is lighter
    - less coverage
    - more ventilation
    - smaller less adjustable visor
    - looks a little more stylie
    - fits true to size

Bell Super

- heavier
    - better coverage
    - bigger nicely adjustable visor
    - less vents
    - not as stylie
    - fits large so think about sizing down

Because it's winter in the PNW and more slippery than usual I'm wearing the Bell most of the time. I can see wearing the IXS on hot days and for less gnarly rides.

They both fit my head well and are very comfortable. I like them pretty much the same although they have different pros and cons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MakinMoves417 View Post
    Hey guys! In the market for a new helmet which will primarily be used for all mountain riding. The two that I have narrowed it down to are as follows:

iXS Trail RS - $120

661 Recon - $110

Does anyone have experience with either? If so, would love to hear your opinions! OR if you have another that you think I should check out then please post it! Thanks guys!
    I have had two fox fluxes, recon and now am on the ixs.
    I really like the fit of the foxes but not a fan of the adjustment in the back. I also like the look of them for the most part but can look a little bulky on my pea sized melon.
    Tried the recon because I liked the look of it, similar to the fox but not as big but it was short lived because the rear strap dug into the base of my skull. So went back to the Flux.
    Bought the ixs and I love it. Great fit, great adjustment and the best ventilation. It is true to size so if you wear a Halo headband like I normally do, it is snug. But since the ventilation is much better I will be testing out riding more without one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys! Figured I would chime back in and give you an update on which route I went. I ended up going with the Bell Super and have been extremely happy with it so far. I have taken it on many trail rides and it seems to stay relatively cool and provides good protection. It may be a tad bit heavier than the others I was looking at but overall I am extremely satisfied. Ultimately, I went with this one because of the camera mount included. Although I do not have a GoPro, I modified it to accept my Garmin VIRB Elite and it has been working just fine. If anyone has any questions feel free to holler at me! As a disclaimer, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the helmets mentioned above... it all comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So if a Bell super in medium fits me well Should I consider going with the larger IXS helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenHolloway View Post
    So if a Bell super in medium fits me well Should I consider going with the larger IXS helmet?
    That's what I did. Every head is different so I hesitate to say it's a sure thing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm almost thinking I should just go with the super since it fits so well, I just feel like being different/difficult though...