Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'd rather be on my bike

Lululemon shorts

I am currently using these shorts in combination with a chamois, and I have to say, this is the most comfortable setup that I have used. The shorts are light weight, and have a small zippered pocket on the left side, perfect for a small multi tool. They also have regular pockets. They don't ride up, they don't bunch, and they seem to be pretty durable.

run: response short | men's shorts | lululemon athletica

I received a pair as a gift from my father in law, along with a shirt. I ended up liking the shorts so much, that I returned the shirt, and got another pair of shorts. My wife wears a lot of their clothes to her bootcamp classes and really likes them. A bit on the expensive side, but she told me that hers are holding up extremely well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am currently using these shorts in combination with a chamois, and I have to say, this is the most comfortable setup that I have used. The shorts are light weight, and have a small zippered pocket on the left side, perfect for a small multi tool. They also have regular pockets. They don't ride up, they don't bunch, and they seem to be pretty durable.

run: response short | men's shorts | lululemon athletica

I received a pair as a gift from my father in law, along with a shirt. I ended up liking the shorts so much, that I returned the shirt, and got another pair of shorts. My wife wears a lot of their clothes to her bootcamp classes and really likes them. A bit on the expensive side, but she told me that hers are holding up extremely well.
    As a guy I couldn't wear Lululemon and look at myself in the mirror.. just.. not.. very.. manly... lol

Helmetless Crasher
    This is hilarious. I am using the same shorts w/ chamois bike underwear, and LOVE them. I got the shorts on closeout sale, never expecting to bike them. Black pair of these: kahuna short | men's shorts | lululemon athletica
    They are now my official bike short. They are the perfect weight and of a slickish texture. The zip pocket on the left thigh is perfect for my 4S.

I love these shorts!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    As a guy I couldn't wear Lululemon and look at myself in the mirror.. just.. not.. very.. manly... lol
    As a guy, you couldn't wear black athletic shorts that are extremely comfortable, because they aren't manly enough? I guess I don't understand that.

mtbr member
    Lululemon makes great products. Eventually they are going to expand beyond their yoga roots and we'll all be wearing them.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    $64 for nylon gym shorts? No thanks. I'm content getting my Fox shorts with a chamois on sale for about half of that.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    $64 for nylon gym shorts? No thanks. I'm content getting my Fox shorts with a chamois on sale for about half of that.
    expensive stuff, no doubt. got mine for 50% on closeout. But they are great quality and ideal weight/texture - they dont hang-up on the saddle or drag on the thigh - zero friction between the shorts saddle and the underwear. I have Fox shorts, too . . . I wear the lululemon. If they are dirty, I wash them and wear them instead of just putting on the clean Fox's. and they look/fit great for regular wear.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    expensive stuff, no doubt. got mine for 50% on closeout. But they are great quality and ideal weight/texture - they dont hang-up on the saddle or drag on the thigh - zero friction between the shorts saddle and the underwear. I have Fox shorts, too . . . I wear the lululemon. If they are dirty, I wash them and wear them instead of just putting on the clean Fox's. and they look/fit great for regular wear.
    I am in the same boat now. I have Sugoi and Fox shorts, and they just sit in my drawer. The lululemon stuff gets used regularly. I would have passed on both the Fox and the Sugoi had I known how good these were. I would pass on 4 sets of shorts that didn't fit well, but were cheaper, and get 1 more pair of the lululemon shorts. I love them that much.

This is one brand that you get what you pay for. They are expensive, no doubt about it, but the fit and feel of these shorts on is unbelievable.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    I just want to make sure I'm getting this...You guys are wearing road shorts, plus a $64 modesty layer on top? Or am I missing something?

Helmetless Crasher
    I received a pair as a gift from my father in law, along with a shirt. I ended up liking the shorts so much, that I returned the shirt, and got another pair of shorts.

I am using the same shorts w/ chamois bike underwear, and LOVE them. I got the shorts on closeout sale.
    got mine for 50% on closeout. zero friction between the shorts saddle and the underwear.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3rb View Post
    I just want to make sure I'm getting this...You guys are wearing road shorts, plus a $64 modesty layer on top? Or am I missing something?
    See above.

See below.

Canari Gel Bike Shorts Liner - Men's at REI.com

BTW, wore my Fox MTB shorts on today's ride - was hating them . . .hate the way they drag on the tops of my thighs with each pedal stroke. Fox Ranger Bike Shorts - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 05-07-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    OK, thanks...but from the reviews, the Canari liners don't seem too well regarded. In what way are they superior to good road shorts, in your experience?

BTW, I was hatin' the pair of road shorts I was wearing on this weekend's ride. Actually, more just after the ride. Seemed hot and, hmm, oppressive. Got me thinking that maybe there is something to this baggy business, and is why I was reading this forum.

Seems there is not really a great solution out there. I do have a few road shorts that are quite comfortable; I guess I'll just have to make sure one of those is always clean and ready to go!

Helmetless Crasher
    OK, thanks...but from the reviews, the Canari liners don't seem too well regarded. In what way are they superior to good road shorts, in your experience?

BTW, I was hatin' the pair of road shorts I was wearing on this weekend's ride. Actually, more just after the ride. Seemed hot and, hmm, oppressive. Got me thinking that maybe there is something to this baggy business, and is why I was reading this forum.

Seems there is not really a great solution out there. I do have a few road shorts that are quite comfortable; I guess I'll just have to make sure one of those is always clean and ready to go!
    The Canari's have been great for me (and apparently for 50% of the reviewers, too). I've had 4 pair for 6 months and put about 400 miles on them without issue. I air dry them. Very light, comfortable and breathable.

Road bike shorts are fine from a functional standpoint and perfect for racing, but they lack pockets. I like to have easy quick access to my my wallet, energy gels, and iPhone via secure pockets on my person. The Lululemon zippable front thigh pocket is ideal for a cell phone. Regular shorts are also more aestheticly pleasing to me and therefore more versatile and utilitarian than road bike shorts. I enjoy wearing them anywhere, including on the bike.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Save Jesus
    I actually like my Fox Ranger shorts, although I have only ridden them twice. They don't really seem to rub on my legs as the fabric is light and slick. Oh right, also because I wear a set of PowerStretch leg warmers to keep the ticks and bugs off anyway. The main drawback I see of the Fox shorts is that they hang below my knees and make me look like some kind of free-rider or BMX hooligan.

To address m3rb's point, the difference between road shorts and the liner of baggy shorts is that road shorts tend to be a tight and slick lycra, whereas the liner material in baggies is softer and more breathable.

Helmetless Crasher
    Come to think of it, my issue w/ the Fox shorts may be due to the fact that I never wear the Fox liner with them - always the Canari liner. Lots of friction between the Canaris and the Fox Shorts. Every pedal stroke makes a friction sound. I'll try the Fox liner with them next time.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

I'd rather be on my bike
    I wore both of my Lululemon shorts this past weekend. One pair with a Fox liner that I had, which worked very nicely. The second day, same shorts (different pair) with a Pearl Izumi liner that I got on a sick deal from Huck N Roll. This was an ideal combo!!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Yesterday I got lucky. Wife went to a trunk show at the local Yoga place, and they were selling Lululemon. I got a pair of the core shorts for $50. They are just like my others, minus the built in liner, and side zipper pocket. I am ok with that, because the fit is perfect.

mtbr member
    I luv my Lululemons. Compfy and well made.
    Help, I'm a rock!

mtbr member
    Lulu is expensive but well worth the investment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    As a guy, you couldn't wear black athletic shorts that are extremely comfortable, because they aren't manly enough? I guess I don't understand that.
    Yeah. Instead of spending $64 on a women's brand of shorts I would rather pay $68 for Troy Lee Designs Skyline shorts..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ROFL

I'd rather be on my bike
    Yeah. Instead of spending $64 on a women's brand of shorts I would rather pay $68 for Troy Lee Designs Skyline shorts..
    Lululemon is a women's brand? Interesting.

yoga clothes & running gear for men | lululemon athletica

You do know that TLD has a women's section, right?

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products.php?cat=115

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lululemon is a women's brand? Interesting.

yoga clothes & running gear for men | lululemon athletica

You do know that TLD has a women's section, right?

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products.php?cat=115
    Yeah, Lululemon is a "women's" brand.. not literally, but culturally.. like the iconic Lululemon black spandex leotard type pants (whatever you call them, you'd probably know because I'm sure you're metro) that all chicks wear..

mtbr member
    Whats wrong with basketball shorts?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Yeah, Lululemon is a "women's" brand.. not literally, but culturally.. like the iconic Lululemon black spandex leotard type pants (whatever you call them, you'd probably know because I'm sure you're metro) that all chicks wear..
    You are sure that I am metro? How do you know this? Because I wear Lululemon shorts over my chamois when I ride? I don't really understand how you came up with this assessment, nor what it has to do with anything. I choose to wear them because they are extremely well made, and very comfortable.

My wife does wear their yoga attire, which is how I was introduced to the brand. When you walk into the store, there is a men's section. They sell those along with the women's selections. So, by your reasoning, I am a "metro" because I wear clothing that is sold in a store that also sells women's clothing. There are very few stores that only sell men's clothing only.

Go ahead and think about that for a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You are sure that I am metro? How do you know this? Because I wear Lululemon shorts over my chamois when I ride? I don't really understand how you came up with this assessment, nor what it has to do with anything. I choose to wear them because they are extremely well made, and very comfortable.

My wife does wear their yoga attire, which is how I was introduced to the brand. When you walk into the store, there is a men's section. They sell those along with the women's selections. So, by your reasoning, I am a "metro" because I wear clothing that is sold in a store that also sells women's clothing. There are very few stores that only sell men's clothing only.

Go ahead and think about that for a bit.
    Just cause they have a men's section so they can make more money from fruitcakes doesn't mean that Lululemon isn't a "metro" or a "chick" brand.. you bought something from a store where 99% of the time the people shopping there are 90% female..maybe think about that for a while..

I bet majority of men (the ones who don't shave their legs) when asked where they would go first to buy a pair of shorts (sporty ones) would say something like Sportcheck (if you're in Canada) or some similar sports store than say Lululemon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast