mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Low Budget Helmet Mount for Torches

After not finding a helmet mount I liked, I came up with a cheap, simple to make solution using a PVC end cap and a ski strap. It solidly mounts a torch and has a bit of up-down adjustment. See here if interested:

http://web.me.com/sbleyl/public/Stev...rch_mount.html

I'm sure folks on this site may have better solutions or can make this one better. But in case its of use to anyone...

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The only issue I can see, is with the PVC part sitting on the helmet. This will permanently mark your bad @ss helmet.

Lets RIDE!
    I use the same basic method, but with a velcro strap and a piece of 1/2" thick "minicel" foam under the light. (Minicel is the gray, fairly high-density closed cell foam used in whitewater kayak outfitting, among other things) The foam compresses slightly when the strap is cinched down, holding it tight.

Same light too

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    (as to damage) Not so far and I've messed around with it extensively. The rounded PVC sits nicely in the rounded vent valley. After minimal rubbing putting the thing on, it stays put.

I'll watch it though and post any damage.

Thanks for pointing that out.

[addendum: the OP is not responsible for any damaged helmets ]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Seems like you would be better off with a sponge or some rubber under the light touching the helmet, than hard PVC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I originally planned on putting a strip of inner tube around the light and PVC to hold the light down and give the PVC some traction (like you fasten torches to handle bars) but when I put it on the helmet without it felt fine.

I guess if you were worried about your helmet or if it didn't have a hard plastic shell like mine you could try that.

Members who have read this thread: 1