mtbr member

Lost my Smith sunnies...want good venting but casual looks

Just lost my Smith interlock Spoilers and Smith discontinued the model, so I am looking for suggestions on new sunnies. I will use them for MTB, motorcycling, and general active use.

I liked the Smith interchangeable polarized lenses, rubber nose/side grips, and casual looks, but the venting was lacking for MTB so they got sweaty and foggy quickly. BUT they were good for blocking the wind on my motorcycle. So I'm looking for something similar, but has a bit better venting.

Please recommend some good venting, casual looking sunnies for large heads!
    Last edited by motard5; 07-22-2013 at 03:31 AM.

mtbr member
    any suggestions on casual looking with good venting?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I Love my Smith V90 pivlocks! I was a dealer for them (at my motorcycle shop) and really love em. I'm not a fan of polarized, here in Miami all our windows are tinted and Polarized have some distortions in tinted cars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    I Love my Smith V90 pivlocks! I was a dealer for them (at my motorcycle shop) and really love em. I'm not a fan of polarized, here in Miami all our windows are tinted and Polarized have some distortions in tinted cars.
    thanks mate, but I'm looking for suggestions on casual looking sunglasses that have venting. Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider the Smith V90's as anything close to casual looking!

mtbr member
    you have gone a long time without sunglasses......

but I hear you on the casual look... I'm probably just too old, but I don't really dig the "sport" look either, and there are very few, if any, classic looking, but yet highly functional, around... that fits my "style" anyway.

I wear some Tifosi fototech glasses on the bike, and love 'em, but off the bike I wear some old school looking Bole polarized, but they are way overdue for replacement, and not that great optically... compared to the Tifosi's.

Let us know if you ever find something... maybe I'd like 'em too.

mtbr member
    Check out Native Eyewear. Most of their models are vented. If you can't find something there I don't know if you'll find what you want. The optics from Native are not as good as Smith's, and the frames/lenses are heavier.

A note on polarized lenses: polarization can distort optics coming through the lens. This can cause problems when moving at speed. Some companies, like Smith, use lens technology that compensates for the distortion. However, a lot of other companies don't specify if they compensate for polarization.

beater
    I'm a big fan on Kaenon. I think their optics are better than Smith (my 2nd favorite). Kaenon has a wide range of styles, from sport to casual, and some that straddle that line. They're expensive, but I was just on their website and they have some pretty good deals on their Soft Kore glasses direct from them.

Smith, however, has the benefit of a no-questions lifetime warranty. I've used it, and their customer service is top-notch.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    thanks mate, but I'm looking for suggestions on casual looking sunglasses that have venting. Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider the Smith V90's as anything close to casual looking!
    Def NOT casual looking. I'm about performance and functionality first. My good looks do the rest of the work!

mtbr member
    Arts cyclery had the V90 with photochromatic lenses on sale. From 240.00. I got them for 118.00 including CA Tax... If you change your mind about the looks.
    I also have some Oakley Radar and they are nice, but the Smiths fits better under my helmet.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice, didn't know they even made Photochomatics! My main dealer dropped Smith for 2014 )-:

singletrack bound
    I like my Native Hard Tops. Interchangeable different colored lenses. Slammed them in my truck door and Native replaced them, twice! They seem to vent well. I also wear them for casual day to day stuff too.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    any suggestions on casual looking with good venting?
    I have the Smith Spoilers as well. Great glasses. Like the interchangeable lenses and style. I have experienced the same fogging as you do to the venting. For most of my riding I use Smith's standard "lifestyle" frames. Oddly, I find the venting much better than the spoilers andi have had little to no problems with fogging.

I have been wearing the Rambler, Terrace, and Tactic with great results. I would say the
    Rambler is my favorite.

Great warranty and CS as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I have the Smith Spoilers as well. Great glasses. Like the interchangeable lenses and style. I have experienced the same fogging as you do to the venting. For most of my riding I use Smith's standard "lifestyle" frames. Oddly, I find the venting much better than the spoilers andi have had little to no problems with fogging.

I have been wearing the Rambler, Terrace, and Tactic with great results. I would say the
    Rambler is my favorite.

Great warranty and CS as well.

great feedback, thanks G-AIR.

I have a wide head, so I need a wide pair that don't pinch my temples (Spoilers felt slightly pinchy at the back after a long ride). Of those three Smith's which would you say has the widest fit?

mtbr member
    great feedback, thanks G-AIR.

I have a wide head, so I need a wide pair that don't pinch my temples (Spoilers felt slightly pinchy at the back after a long ride). Of those three Smith's which would you say has the widest fit?
    Id have to say the Tactic, Rambler and then Terrace as far as wideness. All three of these are considered medium fit/large coverage. I believe Smith posts the dimensions on their site.

Just got back from a three hour ride wearing the Ramblers. Zero fogging issues.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles