mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Loose fit pants for cold riding

Looking for some loose fit pants for those cold commutes to work. Right now I am wearing chamois shorts with warm tights and mtb shorts over those and really want to scale down. Not into the tights only option and would really like some loose fit pants to wear. Any suggestions as I can't really find much other than rain pants which I don't really need. Thanks!

mtbr member

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Looking for some loose fit pants for those cold commutes to work. Right now I am wearing chamois shorts with warm tights and mtb shorts over those and really want to scale down. Not into the tights only option and would really like some loose fit pants to wear. Any suggestions as I can't really find much other than rain pants which I don't really need. Thanks!
    Men's Tuck Pant | Ibex Merino Wool Lined Softshell
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Look at cross country ski gear. Northface and pearl Izumi make great breathable pants. I just got a pair of pearl Izumi alpine pants for XC skiing and will definitely wear them riding

mtbr member
    Those look very nice.

I have a pait of the Novara Headwind pants, seems to do the trick for me. Cuts the wind out nice. I don't need more than that really.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Since you don't tell us where you live you need to define cold. If I go riding right now where I live it is below zero and that doesn't include the wind. That is different than fifty degrees cold in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ha! I got cold on a ride Sunday and it was only 52 here in southeast Texas! All my clothes are warm weather other than my new underarmor cold gear shirt which is very nice. I'm with messican I cannot bring myself to wear tights unless they are hidden inside some pants.

mtbr member
    I use to wear Army BDU pants...they are loose fitting pants.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

gravity fighter
    Check out the Novara Headwind pants at REI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks guys. Think I will check out those Novara Headwind pants since they are not super expensive. Gets around 29-32 degrees at 6am here and need some help to not hit the snooze button lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just looked at them at REI. Pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone have any experience with Foxwear pants? I'm thinking about their Power Shield pants or Power Shield Rain pants. Looks like really nice stuff, made in the USA (Idaho) and both of these pants are under $100.

mtbr member
    I ride in a pair of mountain hardware pants. They work best under 40 degrees outside, especially in damp or snowy conditions. Above that they can get to be too warm.
    Mountain Hardwear | Men's Winter Wander™ Pant
    The Good Times are Killing me

Laramie, Wyoming
    30 degrees at 6 am isn't all that cold but we all have different gear needs. I rode in my North Face gore-tex xcr pants today with one layer of Patagonia under them for almost 5 hours at below zero temps the entire time. My legs never have a problem with getting cold.

mtbr member
    I use the older versions of these:

Endura Tech Pant Overtrouser 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Great for our harsh Scottish winters when combined with thermal long johns.

Endura stuff is built to last and these have never let me down, despite spending a lot of time on my a$$ in the mud