Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Powered by Veggies

Looking for Vegan Riding Shoes

I am just getting back into riding after an eight year hiatus. I am riding my old bike until I decide I am back into it and then I might buy a new ride. But I want to install clipless pedals on my bike. I have a set of old Onzaís with the rubber releases bushings, but Iíll probably buy something newer and safer. But I have no shoes anymore and that is my dilemma.
    I am a vegan and do not eat, wear or use any animal products. The only shoes I could find that had no leather in them were some big bucks Sidiís. I am not up to paying that right now for shoes, does anyone have any recommendations for riding shoes that are not made of from animal ingredients (e.g. leather, suede, nubuck, etc.)?
    Thanks a million!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am not aware of any carnivorous cycle shoes
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    Most of the newer shoes I've seen do not have any leather and I think Nubuck is synthetic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Specialized Comp shoes are all synthetic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Specialized Comp shoes are all synthetic.
    Including the glue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie
    Including the glue?
    The glue is made from horses.

mtbr member
    wow I'm suprised all the veggie haters haven't started attacking you yet, its kind of funny they think all vegetarians push their beliefs on everyone else so they tend to attack first. well anyway this non preachy vegetarian uses a pair of diadora jalepenos. they are pretty old so i don 't know if they still make them or if the materials are still the same. cycling shoes tend to be very veggie friendly, look around, you should find many options. hey synthetic leather just tends to work better than the real stuff.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    wow I'm suprised all the veggie haters haven't started attacking you yet, its kind of funny they think all vegetarians push their beliefs on everyone else so they tend to attack first. well anyway this non preachy vegetarian uses a pair of diadora jalepenos. they are pretty old so i don 't know if they still make them or if the materials are still the same. cycling shoes tend to be very veggie friendly, look around, you should find many options. hey synthetic leather just tends to work better than the real stuff.
    OP asked for advice based on his stated needs. No reason to attack that (tempting to poke fun, though ).

Thanks for not being preachy, but in my experience the attack mentality works the opposite way from what you wrote - vegetarians/vegans who cram their diet in my face when I never said a word about it one way or the other (really - stop yapping at me about my belt/shoes/jacket/steak dinner, OK?!?), friends who accept a dinner invitation then henpeck me about the food I may or may not choose to serve in MY home (like I'd really grill up a rack of ribs for a vegetarian guest ), friends I can't go out with anymore because their self-imposed "restrictions" make it impossible to find a restaurant. That kind of stuff. It's almost (almost) as bad as being around Bible thumpers.

Anyway, so as not to hijack the thread, there are lots of perfectly decent all-synthetic shoes out there (including the glue, I bet!), and Diadora makes some nice ones. I wore my Gekos for three seasons before "upgrading", and they're still in fine shape.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I think most of the Specialized shoes are OK.
    Any time something is wrong with a veggie at my shop I love to tell them bacon will cure it.

Art is Resistance
    I ride Diadoras, and i'm pretty sure they're veggie-friendly.
    I don't go into enough research to see about the glue, but they aren't real leather. Very comfortable, too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    I think most of the Specialized shoes are OK.
    Any time something is wrong with a veggie at my shop I love to tell them bacon will cure it.

I am going to use that one on my veggie friends!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Being vegan means paying more for specialty needs, and well...suck it up bucko and buy the Sidi's.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most synthetics petroleum based products? And doesn't the collection, refining, and transportation of petroleum cause far more "animal suffering" than just using the hide from the cow that I chose to have for dinner?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie
    Including the glue?

Damn, I didn't think about the glue. I have no idea, then.

Probably drunk right now

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by hooperjetcar
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most synthetics petroleum based products? And doesn't the collection, refining, and transportation of petroleum cause far more "animal suffering" than just using the hide from the cow that I chose to have for dinner?
    It's a lifestyle choice that the OP has made. Unless I've suddenly lost the ability to read for comprehension, I don't think the OP made any statements about why they choose not to have anything to do with animal products.

To each their own and all that. I don't judge people for their lifestyle choices and I don't expect to be judged for mine.

Ken

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Damn, I didn't think about the glue. I have no idea, then.
    I don't know if the glue is or isn't organic in nature. Just throwing it out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My 4yr old Shimano shm220 mtn shoes have synthetic leather uppers and carbon fiber/fiberglass soles. Some of their newer offerings undoubtedly are full synth as well and usually cheaper than Sidi stuff.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperjetcar
    Leather production uses plenty of petroleum in raising and processing cattle, plus it kills cows.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sounds more veggie than vegan in the first post.
    (The last vegan I delt with was the militant proselatising fundamentalist sort: 'YOU shall not use animal products of any sort or YOU will go to HELL and I will send YOU there!')

As long as he's not interfering with my consumption of tasty or long wearing animal chunks then why should I give him crap.

I do tend to agree with the poster who said the price is going to go up in order to comply with the special need.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Leather production uses plenty of petroleum in raising and processing cattle, plus it kills cows.
    Point the first, modern production maybe, 11th century production was just labor and piss. (Hence the reason William the Bastard was not insulted by being called a bastard but was ready to beat the snot out of anyone who claimed to smell a tannery)

Point the second, NOT if I've already killed them for dinner. Which was the point of the poster who indicated he was intending to have beef for his meal.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by archer
    Point the first, modern production maybe, 11th century production was just labor and piss. (Hence the reason William the Bastard was not insulted by being called a bastard but was ready to beat the snot out of anyone who claimed to smell a tannery)
    Counter Point the first: Hey, is this the 11th century? No, it's the 21st century now isn't it? But your little William the Bastard quote does make you appear learned, doesn't it?

Point the second, NOT if I've already killed them for dinner. Which was the point of the poster who indicated he was intending to have beef for his meal.
    Counter Point the second: If you are vegan like the original poster, you haven't killed them for dinner, making the subsequent poster's point about dinner irrelevant.
    Last edited by Dwight Moody; 08-22-2005 at 04:05 PM.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    nah i don't think that it will cost much more, my diadoras were like 70 bucks. dirt cheap compared with many cycle shoes. I don't think that the sidis are made (or any synthetic shoe for that matter) with any special needs in mind. its just a different material with different traits.

mtbr member
    You know, I always love being refered to as the generic "poster"

Anyway, my issue comes out of a longstanding issue I have along with my wife, who is a leather wearing vegetarian. She gets a lot of grief in some of the health food shops that carry the veggie products she is looking for because "her" leather kills cows. My point is that the vast majority of leather is a by-product of the meat industry (which I do eat), while all the pleather they so merrily show off as a "sustainable" alternative to the killing of animals is, in my opinion, a much greater detriment to the health of animals as species.

Getting off soapbox now.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer
    Sounds more veggie than vegan in the first post.
    (The last vegan I delt with was the militant proselatising fundamentalist sort: 'YOU shall not use animal products of any sort or YOU will go to HELL and I will send YOU there!')

As long as he's not interfering with my consumption of tasty or long wearing animal chunks then why should I give him crap.

I do tend to agree with the poster who said the price is going to go up in order to comply with the special need.
    I like to point out to those vegans that the gas in their car came from decomposed animals.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

What a twit.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    You post that cheap shot and STILL accuse non-vegies of being the hateful ones.

You are not only preachy, but insulting and arrogant. stfu, for your own good.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast