mtbr member
    Jul 2011

looking for some hip protection

I've crashed hard a few times over the last couple of weeks, both times I've hit my right hip hard in large baby heads. My hip was solid purple and is still bruised pretty good, now I have big ass lump, on the top of the hip bone, looks deformed arrgh.

Looking at a few different brands of shorts with hip padding in them.

I always ride in a lycra chamois with baggy Nemas or Azonic cordura fabric shorst over them so I'm sure I dont want to add an additional layer.

Price point has several I've been looking at.

RockGardn CYA Shorts
    Full-size Coolmax chamois

661 Sub Short
    looks like there is no chamios and none is mentioned

Fox Launch Short
    4-piece molded chamois dual density chamois

anyone have any experience or advise with any of these three pieces of protective gear?

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just wear Nike ProCombat undershorts. Keeps things in place, adds hip protection and tailbone. They are based for football but they are light weight and breath. Just a thought. Hope this doesn't add to your predicament.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm having a hard time finding a local shop that sells padded shorts. So I'm interested to know if the fit is pretty normal. I wear a 29 waist and have no ass so waist fit is really important to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gnewcomer View Post
    I've crashed hard a few times over the last couple of weeks, both times I've hit my right hip hard in large baby heads. My hip was solid purple and is still bruised pretty good, now I have big ass lump, on the top of the hip bone, looks deformed arrgh.

Looking at a few different brands of shorts with hip padding in them.

I always ride in a lycra chamois with baggy Nemas or Azonic cordura fabric shorst over them so I'm sure I dont want to add an additional layer.

Price point has several I've been looking at.

RockGardn CYA Shorts
    Full-size Coolmax chamois

661 Sub Short
    looks like there is no chamios and none is mentioned

Fox Launch Short
    4-piece molded chamois dual density chamois

anyone have any experience or advise with any of these three pieces of protective gear?

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    A point to note on the CYA Shorts is that they're the only ones where the padding goes above the waistline to cover your upper pelvis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the input guys appreciate it.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

Master Shredder
    Get a Ruger P95 for your hip
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

74 & 29 pilot
    I've had really good results from Troy Lee Designs 7605 base protection and I've had some hard fall DHing in the rocky southwest. I tried 661, but the padding wasn't placed very well.

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=104&id=15549
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You cant go better than this:

Hip VPD 2.0 Shorts - POC Sports - POC Sports

T.W.O.
    I've been using Spyder armor shorts with D3O and it's been working very well for me I wore it to the last few bike clinics where I know I'd be falling a lot. So far I just fell and get up dust myself off and go again.

That said Spyder discontinued the line if you still can find one it's a great product that work as advertised. A few weeks ago I just bought Zoombang undershirt and shorts it's a similar concept I haven't tried it yet but it should be just as effective.

The one I bought was onsale on Woot I picked both up for $45 shipped so keep looking for deal.
    Zoombang Shop
    Zoombang Shop

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I've had really good results from Troy Lee Designs 7605 base protection and I've had some hard fall DHing in the rocky southwest. I tried 661, but the padding wasn't placed very well.

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=104&id=15549
    I will second the TLD 7605. When my oldest son hits the BMX race track he wears the 7605. He is not very good and has to race 15+ expert due to the lack of novices or intermediates in his age class. Needles to say, he has been PUMMELED from head to toe. TLD's Shock Doctor shorts and jerseys have protected him very well.

My 7 year old races as well. Due to his size, he has been using a youth Under Armour football girdle. It is not a cycling product, but it has worked VERY WELL. Up to 8 little maniacs fighting for position in tight corners have battle tested every pad in the UA girdle.

Here is a link to the adult UA girdle:

Men’s MPZ® 5-Pad 3D Armour® Girdle | 1234210 | Under Armour US

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thnks for the suggestions... now, If I can scrape me a few bucks up after buying school clothes for the kids... I got options (c;

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I've had really good results from Troy Lee Designs 7605 base protection and I've had some hard fall DHing in the rocky southwest.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS73 View Post
    I will second the TLD 7605. When my oldest son hits the BMX race track he wears the 7605. He is not very good and has to race 15+ expert due to the lack of novices or intermediates in his age class. Needles to say, he has been PUMMELED from head to toe. TLD's Shock Doctor shorts and jerseys have protected him very well.
    Do you guys recommend these Troy Lee Designs BP 7605 Shorts for all-mountain riding, where you also need to pedal uphill long?

Your comments suggest that the protection offered is good. But are they comfortable as well? Is the chamois good quality?

If so, they would seem probably the best option for me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dainese have an excellent range of impact shorts.

obsessive
    I have a couple of pairs of the Fox Launch shorts. They fit under baggies and are not as bulky as others. They have a good cut, good hip and coccyx coverage, and a good chamois pad. Liked the first pair, so I pick them up when I see a sale.
    Go out and ride your bike