mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Looking for some advice on knee pads

My wife and I just started mountain bike riding. We're both used to wearing heavy knee braces while riding dirt bikes, but need something light. What's a good light weight comfortable knee pad?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/5261-02

I use these Troy Lee knee pads, it is way overkill protection for the typ of terrain that I ride in down here in Houston, but for a beginner like me it was great. Never once had to stop and made any adjustments up or down once I got them on the way I wanted it.

YKN

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    They look nice! How do they feel on rides? Are they hot? Lite? Do they bother your legs at all?

Resident Gear Head
    I have been riding with some G-Form Pro X pads and I like them. They are very light, packable, flexible and comfortable, I don't even notice they are there even on long climbs and pedaly rides. They are light on the protection though but use a very cool material that stays soft and flexy like foam but hardens up when it is impacted.

I have heard good things about the Troy Lee Designs pads that pzvi posted as well as the POC VPD 2.0 pads (they use the same material as the G-Form but are a bit beefier) but I only have personal experience with the G-Form pads

PRO-X Knee Pads - SHOP SPORT

Joint VPD 2.0 Knee - POC

If you are looking for something a bit more beefier i.e something with a hard shell check out the company 661, they make great pads Six Six One
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-Man View Post
    They look nice! How do they feel on rides? Are they hot? Lite? Do they bother your legs at all?
    I got the knee pads sized just right and they are a little warm but not enough to bothered me in the 95+ (over 100 heat index) temp. But I misjudged the size of the elbow pads and got them one size too small and it is noticeably hotter to the point that it was uncomfortable that I took the elbow pads off. As for protection and quality of construction and material, I can't complain at all. Now, if I lived in a cooler area I would definitely buy another set Troy Lees without hesitation. But since the elbow pads were the wrong size, I am looking at a less bulky and lighter (not in term of ounces) but more flexible elbow pad. HTH

Yuk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Also, another appeal of the Troy Lee's is that the vertical dimensions of these pads are on the short side compared to other pads on the market. Being short stature myself, they don't look like I have a pair of long johns on when I am wearing them. I also like the subdued conservative colors and style instead of the loud and gaudy designs of the others that appeals to the more younger riders.

YKN

mtbr member

I wear Fox Launch Enduro knee pads. http://shop.foxhead.com/store/produc...1880/cat890004

Nice and light, breathable, and they stay put. I put them on before I put my shoes on at the car and wear them all day. They don't offer a lot of protection but if you're looking for a little armor to protect from skinning your knee or bruises they work great.

mtbr member
    These hard shell Fox are my go to.
    The matching elbo pads too.
    I cut the mesh off of the elbow pad though.
    These stay much cooler compared to the pro models because they let air in the side and back freely.

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/produc...134%3Acat20152

mtbr member
    These here are uber popular in germany and for a lot of pros too.
    Good coverage and stay put and look and feel cool.

http://sixsixone.com/catalog/product.../category/120/

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    We'll I have a set of the joint pvd in large on the way. I'm going to see how they fit on me and the wife. They might be a little long on my short wife. If so we might look at the Troy Lee or another brand.

mtbr member

race face ambush. Pretty lightweight

mtbr member
    The 661 I posted look hot on chicks Google it

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just came back from a trip in Italy. A lot of people s wear Bluegrass brand. never heard of it before that trip, but they are really well made. They got a nice helmet to.

mtbr member
    Dainese Trail Skins.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I just ordered some g-forms , after my fall this past weekend, i needed something.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

I got the POC 2.0 the other day for my wife and she loved them. Fit is great, they did not slide, and she did not notice them while ridding. The only thing she did not like was they got a little warm. I ordered a set for myself, but needed a different size.