mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for shoes like FiveTens...only stiffer

So I rode clipped in for a long time and then about 3 and a half years ago I switched over to platforms with FiveTen shoes. The primary reason for the switch was to gain more confidence on elevated skinnies and drops. But it turned out that I just had more fun on the platforms, felt like a kid on a big bMX.*
    Anyway, last summer I picked up a road bike which Im riding clipped in, while riding platforms on the MTB. When I started riding again this season I really started to notice the difference in stiffness between my clipless shoes and my FiveTens. The FiveTens just felt like mush and I could feel the loss in power transfer. So for the past couple of months I have had clipless back on the Mtb for general trail riding. Session or play type rides still get the platforms. When riding clipped I feel stronger without the loss of power I felt through the soft soles of the FiveTens. But I am not having as much fun and techy / rocky sections of trail that I would charge through are now making me skidish and giving me problems. I really want to get back on platforms, but need a sticky shoe that also has a stiff sole. There was talk that FiveTen was going to be releasing just such a shoe, but the last I heard it has been out off until 2013.*

What are my other options?

Are there any after-market foot beds / liners I could throw in the FiveTens to stiffen them up?

Are there any other shoes I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Different model 5.10s have different stiffness. It would help those that are knowledgeable to know what model shoe you had.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They have a spd version u can use. Maltese falcon I think is the name. Supposedly very stiff

mtbr member
    The Danny MacAskill signature freeriders have a stiffer sole and a reinforced toe box.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by giantone View Post
    Different model 5.10s have different stiffness. It would help those that are knowledgeable to know what model shoe you had.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    I have several pairs of the Rennie version of the Impacts. They showed up on chain love or something like it a couple of years ago for a song and I bought a pair. Likes them a lot and they came back up on Chain Love again a couple weeks later and I bought 2 more pairs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    The Danny MacAskill signature freeriders have a stiffer sole and a reinforced toe box.
    I will check those out, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just received my maltese falcon's in the mail today. can't give a ride report but they are pretty dang stiff...from a walking test my heal gets kept in place pretty well with very little movement. i'm using them as my first clipless shoe but will also be running them on my platforms too...i'll report back in a couple days when i've gotten a ride or two on them.

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    I have several pairs of the Rennie version of the Impacts. They showed up on chain love or something like it a couple of years ago for a song and I bought a pair. Likes them a lot and they came back up on Chain Love again a couple weeks later and I bought 2 more pairs.
    i wish i would have bought 2-3 pairs of the rennies when i could have off of chainlove. because now id prolly pay retail for another pair.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals