mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Looking for a new MTB shoe

I currently have the Shimano M087G XC shoe. I have Shimano PD-M785 pedals. I am looking for a shoe that allows for a better feel for the bike. With my current shoe, I feel like I am standing on wooden planks. Don't get me wrong, these shoes are great for power transfer and I love them for my weekly XC riding. However, I really enjoy drops/jumps and technical riding - nothing major, bridges, 3-4 foot drops, rocks, etc... I will also be doing some downhill at Snowshoe Mtn, WV. I recently rode some trails on flats with tennis shoes and liked the feel. I am not quite ready to give up SPD's, but thought there would be an in-between shoe that could give me a similar-ish feel with my XT pedals.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Giro has a new shoe called the Terraduro that is meant to be XC-like in power-transfer but a sole that allows for the hike-a-bike sections. I have their Privateer, and have been eyeing the Terraduro for for adventurous days.

Pearl Izumi has the Alp-X that I believe is pretty popular - same "multi-use" type of shoe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In addition to those listed the Specialized Rime is another one that has more of a light hiker design.

mtbr member
    Love my Giro Terraduro's. I was in the Shimano XC60's which were super stiff with a carbon sole. The Terras have good power transfer but much better 'feel'. Certainly not like riding with flats and my 5 Tens but for an all around XC/All Mt shoe I really like it.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!