N* Bomber Crew

Looking for a new helmet

Ok, to make a long story short, my dad ran over my protec skate helmet that I usually use for trail rides and what not. So now I have to buy a new helmet, and I am in the market for a new helmet, particularily of high quality.

I already own a SixSixOne Full Comp full face that I use for strictly DH and Freeride. But I now need a helmet for when I go trail riding. I have to ride uphill often, and I like to get excercise that form. I would wear my SixSixOne Full Comp all the time, but it gets too hot.

So I am asking for your help. I need a new helmet that fits well, is high quality, and isn't really junky. My ProTec I rode was so-so. It fit my head...but it didn't feel like it could take a impact. So I'm wondering if I should invest for a new full face to go along with the comp. I really need suggestions. I'm looking at the Pro-Tec Dig. Its the skate helmet with a visor, but the contruction doesn't look all that tough. I love the way my SixSixOne fits, so I'm in the market for a similar fit.

So help me out! I will greatly appreciate it. I am looking for either a high quality skate helmet with enough protection for a crash if it does happen, or a super high quality Full Face Helmet with plenty of vents, light, and doesn't make me explode a lung when I ride uphill.

PLEASE HELP! I can never decide on this stuff. Money is not really a big object. (Except for the 400 dollar Troy Lee Design's helmet).
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

Radical Off The Statical
    Jun 2005
    giro has a really cool helmet that provides alot of coverage but it isnt a full face... i wish i could remember the name of it... just look around on their website
    Clips are for kooks

N* Bomber Crew
    I'm looking into the Troy Lee Design's D2 to see if it would be good as a all around helmet. I do get hot when I go uphill, but I always love wearing a full face to provide extra comfort. I want to know if the D2 has a lot of ventilation, is light weight, and provides a good fit.

Answering those questions will help me out a GREAT deal. Or if you could point me out to something else. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I'm looking into the Troy Lee Design's D2 to see if it would be good as a all around helmet. I do get hot when I go uphill, but I always love wearing a full face to provide extra comfort. I want to know if the D2 has a lot of ventilation, is light weight, and provides a good fit.

Answering those questions will help me out a GREAT deal. Or if you could point me out to something else. Thanks!
    Why dont you just take the helmet off and put it on your bars when you climb?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    pretty much any full face helmet is going to be relatively hot when you wear it. I've always been a fan of giro helmets, but I recomend trying a few on first. You don't want to buy a helmet and then try it out for the first time and decide you hate it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

The Best

Ok i have had a 661 full bravo carbon and i side with you on the ventilation issue and i broke my helmet, so i looked at a giro xen limited edition and a tld d2 hardtop (color red this thing is the most beautiful helmet) i too thought about ventilation because i just got a new trailbike and needed a new helmet for climbing so i was heading for the giro xen and decided to get the d2 and it has an incredible amount of ventilation compared to the 661, i ride around in southern california in 100 degree weather and dont take it off for climbs so just get the d2 because its always better to have the grill protected!!! peace!

Jon

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by 888bighit
    Ok i have had a 661 full bravo carbon and i side with you on the ventilation issue and i broke my helmet, so i looked at a giro xen limited edition and a tld d2 hardtop (color red this thing is the most beautiful helmet) i too thought about ventilation because i just got a new trailbike and needed a new helmet for climbing so i was heading for the giro xen and decided to get the d2 and it has an incredible amount of ventilation compared to the 661, i ride around in southern california in 100 degree weather and dont take it off for climbs so just get the d2 because its always better to have the grill protected!!! peace!

Jon
    Interesting. Im still arguing that no matter what, a Full Face will be very hot during climbs, despite the ventilation it may have. So I'm re-thinking this idea. The one nice thing is that I would have protection more so than if I got the skate helmet.

just along for the ride
    Climbing wearing a helmet??? LOL strap it on your pack until you need it unless you are racing, then get the fell blown hairnet model. Giro for oval heads and bell for rounder melons, try before you buy, good luck!