mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Looking for the most comfortable knee protection available

Hi
    My old knee pads have worn out/torn and I need some new ones. Basically I want them to be as comfortable as possible for pedalling (I ride all mountain and trail) and provide decent protection. Knee protection is enough, I have other pads for downhill.
    Current options:
    * RF Ampush
    * POC VPD 2.0
    * TroyLee Shock Doctor

Any other suggestions? I don't mind paying extra for a good product if its worth the money.

Thanks!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I picked up the VPD 2's and have been wearing them about 4 times a week over the past 2 months. I have worn them up to 4 hours and I forget they are there. My caveat is that I have once worn them over my leg warmers so far. I am concerned because I have read that they can irritate behind the knee so I cut the feet off some long black liner socks to wear under them when it warms up. Looks like it may be warm enough this weekend and I will update if so.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I have the RF Ambush - they work well and are comfortable for 5hr+ rides.

Being able to take them off without messing with my shoes is nice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been happy with the POC 2.0s. You have to cut the tags out of the inside. That was what was rubbing on the back of my legs. Working great now.

mtbr member
    I have POC 2.0's and they have been fine. I never got any rubbing issue's from them.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I tried them all and found the RF Ambush to be the best as far as comfort and protection goes. Love them, I even use them when crawling around the floor of the studio while re-wiring everything. I really wanted to like the POCs,but they just were not very comfortable for me and lack all side impact protection.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I picked up the VPD 2's and have been wearing them about 4 times a week over the past 2 months. I have worn them up to 4 hours and I forget they are there. My caveat is that I have once worn them over my leg warmers so far. I am concerned because I have read that they can irritate behind the knee so I cut the feet off some long black liner socks to wear under them when it warms up. Looks like it may be warm enough this weekend and I will update if so.
    I wore them yesterday on their own for 21/2 hours and forgot they were there. No rubbing or chafing. It wasn't very cold so I didn't sweat much though.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Fox Launch pro is decent. It pinches a little bit in one place, may be a seam that is not finished well. Other than that, its a very good fit and easy to pedal, stays in place in crashes, and has semi hard caps and side protection. Doesn't get too hot, but Norcal is not as hot as other places. Size wise I am between sizes, went with the larger and it fits. I am not a big guy, so I suspect that if you are the largest size will be too small.

mtbr member
    I've got the POC's. The large fits my fairly big legs nicely. No slippage and I usually run the straps unfastened. Use them for about 15 mile rides without any issues.

Wait for me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Another vote for the RF Ambush - picked them last summer, very comfortable. Like the ability to carry them in my pack on long uphill sections and then easily put them on at the top without removing my shoes.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I have POCs, very comfy, even for long rides. You just kinda forget they're there. No chaffing, but the fit is very snug, I recon they can be rather hot in summer. On the other hand, which ain't?

undercover brother
    I had POCs. They are nice and descently comfortable, but I am now using the Kali Aasiz. They are amazingly comfortable and offer additional coverage without being bulky.

mtbr member
    I would say the most comfortable would be Gform.. Now they may not protect as well but they are definitely comfortable.. About the only time I notice I have them on is when cool air hits them because they are actually cooler then bare skin..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    I have to say a couple of people I know told me the G-Form moves a lot in crashes. I would wear them only under another layer (if at all)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I have to say a couple of people I know told me the G-Form moves a lot in crashes. I would wear them only under another layer (if at all)
    I'm sure its possible that they can move but in my experience it hasn't been a problem. I have had a couple good wrecks since I bought them this summer and they did what they claim to do. They are definitely not for all types of riding but for cross country I would wear nothing else. Good luck..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have the Fox Launch and my neighbor rides with the G-Form knee pads. You can't go wrong with either one I think it more depends on what kind of trails you ride and how much protection you need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had the Troy Lee ones, those were whatever, slipped to much when crashing, they were comfortable though. I have the VPD 2.0 now and these are pretty good, I've had them for a little less than a year, comfortable, they do get warm if you are in a warm climate, especially because they arent open at the back, mine always end up with sweat stains at the bottom after a long ride. When these are done I'm gonna get the RF Ambush.