Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking for baggy shorts (for XC) to put over bibs

I am getting tired of having to wash my bib shorts several times to get all the sand/mud out of the chamois.

Which baggy shorts would be good to use, with bib shorts underneath? I was thinking about the Endura MT500 or MTR baggy shorts. Do anyone have experience with these?

I am mostly interested in the opinion of XC-people, since I don't want overly baggy shorts, they will be used for XC riding (and perhaps occasionally for racing).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride in bibs always, but on mtb social rides use a Zoic Ether shell with its thoughtful pocket design and longer inseam (the padding blows) or a simple pair of nylon Timberland shorts purchased on eBay years ago for $5. Great length, tough. I believe the Zoics were on major sale. I think the new Fly MTB shorts are decent, too, as a liner. Nothing compares to a highend bib short in the padding department.

I tried racing in baggies during a fun local race and did not like it. Hotter and adds weight. Yep, I said it add weight, ha.

Fat-tired Roadie
    When I get my shorts particularly dirty, I rinse them in the shower before I wash.

Before I stopped caring, I used to wear cut-off camo pants over my cycling shorts. Really, I don't think you need specialty shorts - anything but cotton will work okay, once you're already wearing cycling shorts. Lighter synthetics are better, so board shorts, hiking shorts, the top 40% of a pair of hot weather BDU pants, all kinds of things work.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    C9 by Champion plaid golf shorts at Target. $20 on sale. The plaid ones have 5% spandex so stretch a little. Solid ones don't. They are super sturdy and don't get dirty and clean easily. Also, they look very MTB.

Name:  14368263_130206023000.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  38.0 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Seriously the above is not a joke. I wear them 2x per week and am racing a 6 hour in them in two weeks. Assos bibs or knickers underneath.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like the endura Humvee lites a lot. Also a very close second would be mavic stratus (I think it's the stratus)

<100%
    Yeti makes a very nice short - the Freeland. Waist snaps stay snapped, zipper pockets for stuff, cinch tabs at the waist, zippered vents, slim cut, not too long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will take a look at your suggestions, and figure out which are the best for what I need.

mtbr member
    I guess if you're wearing a liner, then the little seam down the middle of the jeans/shorts/daisy dukes doesn't matter?

But why wear bibs? My friends do say they are awesome, but I don't get why.

beater

No waistband.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Also, bib shorts don't ride down. And depending on your belly to waist ratio, they may help prevent you from sharing your ass crack with the world.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I ride with columbia shorts..I also have a pair of lands end adventure shorts that I wear as well...and I wear my bike shorts underneath..the reason why I like these shorts is that they have a flexible waist band..and a adjuster belt as well.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    But why wear bibs? My friends do say they are awesome, but I don't get why.
    Because you haven't tried them?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a few pair of bibs but I can't say they feel much better than a nice pair of regular shorts. The thing is I think people compare the comfort of $200 bibs to $50 shorts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have 2 sets I wear over a bib in the winter - One by Endura, one Scott. They really do help. Both are 100% recommended by me, although I think I prefer the Endura for the winter as they are a much tougher material, and the Scott for the summer.

Endura Downhill Shorts 2013:

Endura Downhill Short | Chain Reaction Cycles

And Scott Mind:

SCOTT Mind ls/fit Shorts - SCOTT Sports

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a pair of Endura Hummvee. Comfortable, has many pockets (2 "vent pockets"), looks good (at least in black), comes with liner. It's good in cold and wet weather. In the summer a little warm with the liner, but overall I'm satisfied, quality shorts.

https://www.endura.co.uk/product-det...?ProductID=116

beater
    I have the Hummvee 3/4 (although as you can tell from this thread, I tossed the liner), and I agree with that description. Really nice product. I'd like to get a pair of the shorts at some point, too. They also make a Hummvee Lite if you want something a little lighter and simpler.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Zoics are the best, the fit is great, the customer service is beyond belief, I tore out the zipper and sent them back and got a brand new pair for exchange. Plenty of pockets and a great fit.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerRick View Post
    Zoics are the best, the fit is great, the customer service is beyond belief, I tore out the zipper and sent them back and got a brand new pair for exchange. Plenty of pockets and a great fit.
    I think it is funny how we all have our own opinions as to what we like best. I have had two pair of zoics and never felt like they fit as well as my magics or enduras. One word of advice is if you find a pair you really like buy two more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
    C9 by Champion plaid golf shorts at Target. $20 on sale. The plaid ones have 5% spandex so stretch a little. Solid ones don't. They are super sturdy and don't get dirty and clean easily. Also, they look very MTB.

Name:  14368263_130206023000.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  38.0 KB
    exactly, i bought 3 pairs of these for golf many years ago and they are perfect mountain biking shorts especially in the hot weather. They stretch a little which makes pedaling comfortable. They are a bit slim and not overly baggy which is nice so you don't notice them when you are riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My new fav are the skyline shorts by Troy lee designs. Light weight and can be had for a reasonable price. My past experience with endura product is favorable. The humvee lite would be a better choice if you were to wear over bibs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions

Has anyone tried the Gore X-Alps?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I go to Ross... $10-$15 cargo shorts for me...(over my bibs)

mtbr member
    Jett Raptors are THE BEST xc/trail mountain bike baggies, IMO. I ride 5-6 days a week in very abusive conditions, and nothing lasts like these shorts do.... yet, they have a nice feel, excellent cut, adjustable waist band, adjustable ventilation, and well-designed pocket options. I have 3 pairs, one pair that I've been abusing for 5 years.... the stretch panel on the upper ass has lost a bit of its stretchy rebound, but other than that, they're like new. Multiple crashes that led to bloody skin and torn fancy pants underneath, but the Raptors don't even show a blemish. The version from the last year or two also has a VERY good liner also....rivals my top end Pearl Izumi shorts and bibs in the blissful taint department. Keep your eyes peeled and you can find the set w/ liner and baggy on sale for about 70 bucks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I found these on Ebay. Kult Men's Mountain Biking Shorts Padded New with Tags Sz Small | eBay Kult brand. Upstart company with Rip stop shorts and padded. Mine work great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast