Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

looking for 1st Hydration pack.

hey all im looking to buy my 1st hydration pack. Been using just a water bottlle but its just not cutting it anymore. Longer rides means more water!!

im looking to to buy a pack now and i have no idea of any to even look at . What do you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    i was looking into this pack

Amazon.com: Camelbak M.U.L.E. 100 oz Hydration Pack: Sports & Outdoors

idk how to understand the sizing though

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Lots of good pack out there
    My friend bought a Camelbak Charge LR that holds the water around your waist which he really likes. I just bought an Osprey Raptor 10 which I love. Before those we both just had cheap Sette bags from pricepoint.com which worked fine too but weren't as comfortable or neat.

mtbr member
    I second the osprey raptor. Great features, warranty, and better than any camelback that I've used. Tight fit on your back so it doesn't bash you in the head on jumps. I have the 10 which is great for 3-5 hours of riding but I just ordered the 14 to give. Me more room for my med kit on larger rides with more exposure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Mule is a great pack. I used mine for 8 years.

pin it
    I have Camelbak Classic for DH and short rides. Although it looks tiny it holds all essentials. I've used it for 3 years
    I have Camelbak Lobo for longer rides and for trail maintenance days. Holds clothes and tools and food etc. I've used it for 5 years
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripptallica View Post
    i was looking into this pack

Amazon.com: Camelbak M.U.L.E. 100 oz Hydration Pack: Sports & Outdoors

idk how to understand the sizing though
    The MULE is an excellent pack, I've had mine for a number of years. The one you linked holds 100oz of fluid, and the cargo capacity is 580 cubic inches. I also have a Gregory Miwok 18. That one doesn't come with a bladder, I just swap the camelbak bladder when I use it. The Miwok will hold a bit more stuff than the mule, and has lotz of pockets.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I have Camelbak Classic for DH and short rides. Although it looks tiny it holds all essentials. I've used it for 3 years
    I have Camelbak Lobo for longer rides and for trail maintenance days. Holds clothes and tools and food etc. I've used it for 5 years
    what exactly can fit in the classic? Ive been thinking of a smaller pack for short rides.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

neeeds donation$ for bike
    camelbak mule is a great pack with great close out prices on the 2012 right now. It is there mid range size pack from what i gathered. The lobo is smaller, but still has plenty of water capacity and storage for other essentials. The hawg is for all day ventures on the trail and you can take anything and everything you dont need with you due to its large book bag size. mule is a very reputable pack imho.

Trail Prospector
    First got a Mule, once off-season layers were needed, I got a Hawg. Both function well, and I thought both were great packs...
    until I got an Osprey.

It was a Raptor 10, while the same size as the Mule, carries slightly less, yet rides / sits / works far better.
    Last addition's a Raptor 18 which is really an all-day, any conditions gear-hauler, and although it appears big sits / rides really well.
    IME- Osprey bladders & bite valves are way better than Camelbak's, and easier to clean.
    (since I myself am a camel - all have 100 oz. bladders)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    was using a Camelbak MULE last year till i bought an Osprey Raptor 16 and its way better than the Camelbak in my opinion. i did have to modify the tubing on the Osprey though to allow me to do water refills without having to lug along the reservoir.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    where do i find the Osprey Raptor 16 ?? i can only find the 18 online

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tripptallica View Post
    where do i find the Osprey Raptor 16 ?? i can only find the 18 online
    sorry.. too early for me .. yup its an 18

Amazon.com: Osprey Raptor 18 Daypack, Sand Gold, Small/Medium: Sports & Outdoors
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

GO BLUE!!
    I have 2 Hydrapaks, a Big Sur and a Streamline. Both of which are discontinued, I believe. However, I am not sure I can recommend Hydrapak because I have had issues with both of mine. They both have been coming apart at some of the seams. I do love the bladders on these as they are very easy to clean. But cannot give a recommendation based on just the bladder.

Maybe they are made a little better now. Someone else would have to chime in on the newer models.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

mtbr member
    I have had the Lobo for years. Carries enough stuff for summer. Purchased the Mule this year, it is a much more functional pack then the Lobo. More storage and in Tennessee that's a good thing. It has been going from summer to winter daily here. Crazy weather. Start out 30's and 30 minutes into ride time to strip off some clothes. The Mule has lots of storage, there is one larger that I did look at but settled for the Mule.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a Osprey Raptor 14 I use for longer rides where I want more water/gear/clothes and a Camelbak Charge LR 10 for 2 hrs with just water and tools/spare tire. Both great packs.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I started off with a MULE (second gen), then picked up a Lobo when I couldn't find a replacement bladder for the MULE, and finally the $25 Ful pack from Costco after reading rave reviews on this forum. The Ful definitely has the best bladder system for easy cleaning, but the bite valve perpetually drips (I ended up using the Lobo's), the materials don't feel as nice as the Camelbak stuff, and the padding on the back tends to stink after just a couple of rides. I was ready to jump on a MULE or other larger Camelbak until I revisited the Osprey threads and finally checked out the packs in person at REI. They really are just better designed (save for the Ful's bladder) and higher quality than the competition. I'm going to pull the trigger on an Osprey 10 here soon.

Go Osprey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As much as I love my Osprey they aint cheap if you want a 2013 version and you do . You can find the 2012s for $60-70 some times cheaper but the 2013s are still $115ish. I bought mine for $95 through a 20% off deal posted in the deals forum a while back. The camelbak charge LR was $50 through a close out deal and there are plenty of last year model camel backs out there for cheap if you look around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think think MULE is great. I've had mine for five years. Use it year round, and it usually gets washed a couple of times a year.

Nice trick for summer days: Fill the resivoir up about a quarter of the way and throw it in the freezer the night before. Finish filling it up before your ride - you will have cold water for a good part of your ride. Plus, it keeps your back cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Also, storing the reservoir in the freezer keeps it from sliming up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like Vaude Hyper Air. 14+3 liter pack, it unzips to make it larger. Best breathability and comfort. Mediocre bladder, use Platypus.
    If I was looking at a Camelbak check out the breathable NV line.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've got the Camelbak Rogue. 70oz of water and a fair bit of cargo space. If I could do it again though, I would get either an osprey raptor 10 or a camelbak MULE. Just not enough storage space in the Rogue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I just recently got a fox oasis; I really like it. It has a 3l bag, is really spacious but not too bulky. Sucks that I already ruined it haha.

mtbr member
    I was going to buy a mule NV but didnt like that it didnt have compartments. Ended up buying the Deuter EXP air 10 and love it. Feels light and that back form feels great when your biking. its like I dont even have a pack on.

mtbr member

By looking at last year's models, you can save some $. If you're particularly frugal and know what you're looking for, Sierra Trading Post has been a blessing for closeout and cosmetic 2nds gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast