mtbr member
    Sep 2011

long sleeve top for the summer

I keep getting scratches on my arms because it is now too hot to wear long sleeves in texas. It is getting to the point where it is a bit ridiculous how scarred Im getting. Id like to find some long sleeves that arent too hot (synthetic) but are durable when they get snagged by branches of all the dead trees on the trail. Does anyone have suggestions?

Current temps are 95-105. Humidity is low though at about 40%

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ebay cooling arm sleeve. Like arm warmer, but cooling effect .

mtbr member
    I have a set of PI arm coolers, and wear them all summer, but you'd probably still get scratched through the thin material. Mine are going on 2 seasons, and have held up to some crashes though. For $25 it's worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Northface, Zoic and Dakine and probably others make 3/4 length sleeved jerseys that offer pretty decent arm coverage without being too hot. I like them because the crook of my elbows get cut up by trailside brush and it's very uncomfortable...Boure' makes a longsleeved summerweight "SPF" jersey too but it's a bit spendy and pretty uncomfortable. I ordered one but sent it right back. (too tight in the torso, and very plastic-ey feeling.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Race Face 2013

Pretty light and not too warm. Pading is minimal but enougth for scratches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    new to the area here in Tacoma area so some of the fellas took me around a bunch of trails yesterday. Little cool in the AM so I had a cheap, moisture wicking long sleeve on (Champion brand) I think. Most all of the trails we rode were overgrown and didn't look like they had been ridden much recently. Lots of overhanging thorn and nettles. Legs took a beating but arms came out unscathed (unlike most of the others). Well spent $5.00 on the long sleeve.

unrooted
    I also have the Pearl Izumi Arm coolers and I'm amazed at how well the work, but i live in a VERY dry environment (7% humidity ussually) and I've found that they don't perform quite as well in humid environments.

I've been looking at this boure summer long sleeve jersey: Club SPF-35 Long Sleeve Full-Zip Cycling Jersey - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

Boure makes really nice stuff! Performance also makes one, but I tried it on and the seams along the arm were very rough because they included reflective material into the seam. Bummer cause otherwise it fit me well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I also have the Pearl Izumi Arm coolers and I'm amazed at how well the work, but i live in a VERY dry environment (7% humidity ussually) and I've found that they don't perform quite as well in humid environments.

I've been looking at this boure summer long sleeve jersey: Club SPF-35 Long Sleeve Full-Zip Cycling Jersey - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

Boure makes really nice stuff! Performance also makes one, but I tried it on and the seams along the arm were very rough because they included reflective material into the seam. Bummer cause otherwise it fit me well.
    Note my comments above re the Boure jersey before you plunk down money for one...