mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Long skinny helmet?

I swear I don't look like a freak, but all helmets I have ever had, or tried on seem very "round". In the past i've bought huge helmets and padded out the sides, or bought med/lg helmets and custom shaped the foam (dremel) to fit. I realize that my later, and preferred, option is dangerous, reckless, and voids all kinds of ****; but I'm about to do it again if I can't find a helmet that fits out of the box. Any suggestions for my oblong mellon?

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I'm having the same problem. Each helmet seems to be to wide.
    I'm currently wearing a Trek helmet but it's not fitting as it should be.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am in the same boat, and still looking. Every helmet I have ordered online is too wide, and too tight front to back. If I get a size (xl usually) that fits front to back, to where it isn't digging into my forehead, it has a ton of empty room on the side. I guess we have alien heads, b/c I have had no luck so far. Here is a list of helmets I have tried and not one of them fits right front to back... 661 recon, Giro Xen, Pro Tec Ace bike, and Urge Enduromatic (this one was the closest but still wobbly on the sides).

I have found none of the free ride/mountain helmets with more back coverage fit us. The road helmets I have had way more luck with. I would love to find one that I put on my head and instantly think... yup, that's it.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I've found Giro helmets to fit "longer" whereas Bell is a more round head fit.
    "Do not touch the trim"

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I'm using a Giro ski helmet. It's fits but is still a bit to wide.
    It was the best option I tried.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The best fitting helmet for me was the pro-tec skate with the soft pads on the inside... only thing is it is not rated for biking. I am not quite sure if that matters too much with the level of riding I do. I have seen skaters go down a lot harder on asphalt than bikers on dirt.

Michigan Wolverine
    I've had similar problems. I have a Fox Striker that put all kinds of pressure on my forehead. I ended up getting a Giro Monza a few weeks back and holy cow it fits so much better and is so much more comfortable. It's a road helmet, but I'm willing to give up the visor for a huge increase in comfort.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog