mtbr member
    Dec 2013

lightweight wind/rain jacket that is breathable?

any suggestions for a lightweight hooded wind/rain jacket that is breathable? used my one industries windbreaker/jacket last night and was soaked it does not breathe very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was just getting ready to ask the same questions. I need exactly what you describe for a muiti-day off road trip. So far, the Showers Pass Crossover sounds like the ticket, but I've yet to try one on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Those jackets look pretty ugly. Was hoping for something in black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Men's Quasarâ„¢ Pullover | MountainHardwear.com
    Watch the vid for breathability info.
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/DryQ_Elite.html

Some sizes in black are 186.

This product was developed to be breathable/waterproof under heavy activity.
    100% money back if it doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-04-2014 at 12:40 PM.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by shredmx View Post
    any suggestions for a lightweight hooded wind/rain jacket that is breathable? used my one industries windbreaker/jacket last night and was soaked it does not breathe very well.
    My wife just bought one from Eddy Bauer (on sale) and I like it better than my biking specific jacket plus it was cheaper.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Try a marmot precip. It has pit-zips which help a lot with keeping you "vented" under it.

mtbr member
    Waterproof and breathable is a combination that exists only in marketing lingo. For any physical activity, you will steam so much that no "breathable membrane" is able to keep up. Physical exercise in rain will get you wet, it's unavoidable.

IME the best compromise is a water resistant and windproof shell combined to a merino base layer. For slight showers you'll stay dry, water resistant shells without any membrane are much lighter and breathable. In prolonged and/or harder rain it'll let some water through, but so slowly that you won't be cold, especially as wool retains pretty good insulation even when wet.

beater

lightweight wind/rain jacket that is breathable?

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Waterproof and breathable is a combination that exists only in marketing lingo. For any physical activity, you will steam so much that no "breathable membrane" is able to keep up. Physical exercise in rain will get you wet, it's unavoidable.
    This.

If I'm walking or backpacking in the rain, I can moderate my pace enough to stay dry under a hard shell. Riding is too energetic, so I prefer a water resistant softshell. One made from a stretch woven fabric and without a membrane (for breathability).
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I agree there's no such thing as a waterproof and breathable anything. I have found, however, that a very well ventilated waterproof jacket, i.e., long zip pits and a back flap works for me during downpours. What interests me about the Showers Pass jacket is that it appears to be well ventilated, and it has a hood that fits below the helmet, which is what I'm really after

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

ready to ride
    Like the others said. Its pointless to try and stay dry wearing a waterproof shell. The most important thing is being able to keep warm. I usually do pack a gortex shell if its cold the weather is iffy , or I am going way into the backcountry. For two reasons, one as a wind barrier, two if I have a mechanical problem and end up walking I have better protection from the elements. I have a light weight merino wool base layer I will also bring if the temps are a bit on the chilly side. If its downright cold I have a merino wool sweater that gets added to.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    eVent is the one waterproof breathable fabric I've had good experiences on a bike. It does breathe well - so much so that my jacket doesn't have pit zips or other venting.

My eVent jacket is fitted so I use it on the road.

For MTB use I use a couple light shell windbreakers that don't pretend to be waterproof, but they do keep a bunch of the rain off me and more importantly they keep me warm. Underneath I wear some wicking fabric so that I stay reasonably comfortable and when the rain stops and I stash the jacket I can dry out fast.

This works for 2-3hr rides where I can get back into a warm car/house at the end.

If I ran across a well priced eVent MTB shell I'd buy one.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Off the back...
    "Waterproof breathable" is a bit of a misnomer. "Waterproof, but more breathable than a plastic bag" is far more accurate. Personally, I lean toward softshells for high-output activities like biking. They cut the wind, will help keep you from freezing when you stop, and make it easier to get away without using an insulating base layer. They are also dramatically more breathable than waterproof-breathable gear. Even tightly-woven wool does a great job in this area. I have a Smartwool jacket that is not very windproof, but does a great job on long climbs in the rain. Soaked to the bone, putting out a lot of effort, but still mostly comfortable. For fast descents or windy rides, out comes the light waterproof plastic bag jacket with pit zips.

The only time I use the hoods on my jackets is when I'm going to be standing around for a while and it's cold+windy. For cycling, I find that having a hood over my helmet is very annoying.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I've heard good things about Polartec Neoshell. The Sugoi RSX is allegedly what you are looking for. I've heard on one guy who swears by it. A cheaper non bike option is from EMS.

RSX NeoShell® Jacket | SUGOI Performance Apparel

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...019738.3690144

I just wear a softshell and get wet.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

beater
    Yeah, Neoshell seems to be one of the highest-praised of the new crop of fabrics. I have yet to try it, however.

I bought a Patagonia softshell made of Powershield last fall, and I've been very happy with it for riding and XC skiing. It was on close-out because they've moved to Powershield Pro for more wind resistance, but I prefer the higher breathability for riding. Plus it's bright orange, which I wanted for riding in elk season.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For those who use shoftshells, do you find all the mud getting on your shell in wet conditions ruins it for water repellency? I know of the several shells I have once they get washed to many times (using proper detergent, not tide) they don't repel water very well. I have a nice bright orange shell I wore when I was in Search and Rescue that I have been thinking of using for MTB, but don't know if I want to donate a $200 jacket to get ruined after 2 muddy rides? Thoughts?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My Schoeller Softshell from MEC dosn't repel much water before it starts to soak through. I treated it with Nikwax softshell treatment but didn't notice much difference. We did a big climb in light rain last night and I just wore a thin merino top under a wicking T on the way up. I got wet but didn't overheat. On the way down and the 9km road home I wore the wet merino and the softshell. Comfortable enough even though my shirt was wet.

These guys do custom Neoshell jackets and the price looks okay.

Foxwear | Custom Sized Sports Outerwear | Made in Salmon, ID
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

dirtbag
    My Patagucci Torrentshell does double duty on the bike when I need it. It's light enough to fit in a daypack/camelbak and keeps me relatively dry and it has underarm pit zips to vent out heat. I only use is if I get caught out on an extended rain storm or at a top and it's windy and cold.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    For those who use shoftshells, do you find all the mud getting on your shell in wet conditions ruins it for water repellency? I know of the several shells I have once they get washed to many times (using proper detergent, not tide) they don't repel water very well. I have a nice bright orange shell I wore when I was in Search and Rescue that I have been thinking of using for MTB, but don't know if I want to donate a $200 jacket to get ruined after 2 muddy rides? Thoughts?
    Washing will degrade the DWR. Drying on a decent heat will help restore it, but you are "using" it up. You can use one of those DWR treatments to help restore it. YMMV on how that will work.

This is part of the reason I use windbreakers for trail riding vs. springing for expensive gear.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I've heard good things about Polartec Neoshell. The Sugoi RSX is allegedly what you are looking for. I've heard on one guy who swears by it. A cheaper non bike option is from EMS.

RSX NeoShell® Jacket | SUGOI Performance Apparel

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...019738.3690144

I just wear a softshell and get wet.
    I have one and it is very good. Breathes better than any membrane type jacket I have had and I have tried many. And the DWR so far has been stellar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My apologies for bringing up an old thread...

Question - can anyone recommend a good, NON-biking specific lightweight softshell that's water resistant and comes in Hi-Viz yellow?

I know the Endura Pakajak would probably fit the bill. I'm looking for a regular jacket that can be used for situations other than biking (don't want a jacket that's longer in the back).

Thanks!

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have ridden dirt bikes for along time and the klim stowaway jacket is great mtb also!
    Klim.com