mtbr member
    May 2014

light helmets, flimsy visors?

I just bought my first mountain bike and now I'm buying my first helmet!

After work today I tried on a Specialized S3 and Giro Xar helmet. I have a fat head so a large helmet tightened up in the back fits me well. they don't move on my head when I shake but there is some give when I press on it with my hands

I liked the S3 because it is lighter weight (noticeable difference to me).. but i cant find it for less them list price ($160) while the Xar can be had for $100.

Anyways, what I found though is that the visor on the S3 is super flimsy, the xar was a little better but not by much. whats up with these flimsy visors? are visors meant to be flimsy so they break easy when you crash?

I'm looking for something light like the S3 with a sturdy visor. anyone have a helmet they can recommend? exact weights don't seem to be advertised much for comparison.

mtbr member
    The visor feels flimsy, because it's removable and only connected in a couple of spots. I have a similar visor on my helmet, and it's never been an issue at all... even in crashes...though to be fair, it's never taken a direct hit.

That helmet is a road/mtb helmet. It's meant to be as light and vented as possible, while still meeting safety standards. Roadies don't like most visors, because they block vision, when down in the drops.... so the visor is removable.

Tons of helmet choices, some with firm visors and more mtb oriented, but you buy based on fit first. Not all helmets will fit as well as others, as you have seen. Some are oval shaped, some round. Oval fits my head shape best, then go from there.