Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Light and Helmet Compatibility

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Flyer 
#1 ·
It seems that there are a lot of nice helmets out there that haven't been designed with the use of helmet lights in mind. I have a Light and Motion ARC, and the mount wobbles on the funky ridge running down the center of the Bell Sweep XC. On the Giro Pneumo the angles of the vents are cut such that if I don't run the strap through one vent left-of-center and two vents right-of-center the light will try to slide backwards on the helmet. My trusty Giro Eclipse is perfect for the Light and Motion mount, but unfortunately it is nearly 5 years old and I need to retire it soon.

Just wondering what others have observed in trying to mount their lights. I imagine different light brands will bring different issues to the fore just as much as different helmets do.

LB

#3 ·
The helmets are designed for safety foremost, then to look good so people will buy them. Most people will never mount a light on a helmet, so the helmet manufacturers don't worry about a light. It is up to the light manufacturers to make their mounts fit more helmets, offer spacers and adaptors where needed, etc.

#4 ·
Yeah, I agree completely with you, denmikseb. I mainly started this topic as a sort of survey to see if any general statements could be made like "Bell Sweep XC + Light & Motion ARC is not a good combination." It would seem we can add "Giro E2 + Light & Motion ARC is good" to the list. I have a friend with a Sweep and a NiteRider HID who said that setup works fine. Anyone else?

I do think it would be good if a light manufacturer and a helmet maker sat down together and designed a helmet/light setup that, for example, routed cables internally or recessed the light mount section of the helmet for a lower profile. It is a relatively small market, but the idea has potential.

LB

#5 ·
I don't have a helmet light now, but will be getting a DiNotte 200L. I don't know how well it will mount on my old Bell Ukon helmet, but the photos show it sitting nearly on top of a helmet, which I don't like. Some reviewers have also complained about it sitting too high on their helmet. As far as the actual mount attachment to the helmet I will wait and see.

#6 ·
denmikseb said:
I don't have a helmet light now, but will be getting a DiNotte 200L. I don't know how well it will mount on my old Bell Ukon helmet, but the photos show it sitting nearly on top of a helmet, which I don't like. Some reviewers have also complained about it sitting too high on their helmet. As far as the actual mount attachment to the helmet I will wait and see.
Learning to mount the 200L on the helmet is a bit of a funk. It will usually take a ride or two before you get it dialed in. Where you mount it on your helmet depends of course on the helmet and how the vents line up. It should be noted that the adjustment of the light itself while on the helmet mount is very limited too. The last time I rode I had mine mounted on the downward slope of the helmet just past mid-way. That turned out to be too far up. I now have it more forward on the helmet. When it comes to helmet mounting, the rubber O-ring which attaches the 200L light engine to the helmet mount leaves much to be *desired (* for it's limited adjustment range )
In keeping with the topic question: Yes, I have noticed too that some of the newer helmets look like they would be hard to use a helmet light with which I think is a real bummer. Regardless of what light system you buy I wouldn't worry too much about it though. You simply buy the light of your choice than take it with you when you go out shopping for a compatible helmet. Most of the cheaper helmets should work fine because the vent holes are less fancy. Anyway, my 200L mounts fine on my older cheap-o Bell helmet. ( Sorry, I forgot what model it is )

#7 ·
Had no problems with the following:

Louis Garneau Ozzy
Bell Alchera
Giro Xen
Giro Hex
Fox Flux (current)
Specialized Havoc (current)

As long as you don't get one with a pretty high and continuous center ridge, I think you will be fine. I have a Punemo but use it on the roadie and never tried to mount a light on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.