mtbr member
    May 2013

Light adjusting Sunglasses

Looking for a low cost option for a sunglasses that will lighten or darken depending on current lighting conditions? What is the correct term here, is it photochromic? Hoping to keep the glasses on all the time as I move from woods to open field on the trail. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

photochromic sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Looking for a low cost option for a sunglasses that will lighten or darken depending on current lighting conditions? What is the correct term here, is it photochromic? Hoping to keep the glasses on all the time as I move from woods to open field on the trail. Thanks
    Yup, you want the photochromic. Many are out there, however, the bigger name brands will have ones that change tint quicker. Look at how much light transmission the lenses have. When we go in woods it can be out right dark, and wrong shades means it is dark! ? I like the photochromic since it also keeps the bugs out of my eyes in woods. Some people like the red tint type.
    Good luck, I think you are looking at 60-230 range.

Bike's hmmm nice

Have 2 pair (julbo dirt and specialized something). Always ride with one of these glasses except when wearing a fullface. Love 'm and for me they work in different weather and in and out of forest. But don't expect sub second adjustment, it takes a bit of time. Moste slightly different dark-light as for light-dark. Check spec's and try in a store. You can put a bit of paper over half the lens and hold them in bright light, remove paper and see what happens.

mtbr member
    My Tifosi's work great. One of the most useful mtb products I've gotten lately. The optical quality is really good as well. Doubt I could go back to regular shades for the mtb. Highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    My Tifosi's work great. One of the most useful mtb products I've gotten lately. The optical quality is really good as well. Doubt I could go back to regular shades for the mtb. Highly recommend.
    Ya, sunglasses are a joke for woods.

mtbr member

Re: Light adjusting Sunglasses

What type of tifosi lenses... They have about 4-5 different photochromatic lenses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    What type of tifosi lenses... They have about 4-5 different photochromatic lenses.
    That is your choice, they each allow a different amount of light to pass, like 20-50%. The color is up to you also, some like yellow and others red due to contrast. I prefer the clear lenses as they allow most light in woods, and in sun they get a brown tint.
    Hope that helps.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Brown lenses work best in sun and shade. If it's overcast - yellow does the trick...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    I use the light night version. I ride at night as well, so that's why I chose those, but found they also work great in the wide range of light conditions... overcast, late afternoon, full sun, night, etc. Still has 100% uva/b protection.

The only reason I see not to get this kind, is if you ride a lot in full sun exposure. All of my trails are primarily under tree cover.

*FYI, I was told that the photochro won't work for driving, because of the UV coating on the windshield... if you're looking for your one and only sunglasses.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    I prefer a brown/amber/rose lens for constantly changing light/shadow conditions.

I have photochromic but works best when the weather (sun/clouds) is changing rather than the terrain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    don't know about the car thing, but many of these, you can buy polarized to change out for driving!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think Optic Nerve deserves a mention. I have a pair of their brown tint photochromatics and they have been good except in full bright sun. I have scratched them up and bought a pair of Tifosi night light shades. Those are fine, maybe a little better in full sun because they don't have the high-contrast tint, but they are still not that dark. The brown tint is cool, maybe not as versatile though.

I have had better luck with Optic Nerve's quality than Tifosi over a few pairs of shades. Maybe just luck, but putting it out there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Real quick reality check... none of the photochromatic change all that quickly. If you do a ton of riding in and out of the woods, or woods that have sparse coverage you're going to blind yourself, the lenses will not keep up at all of you're a fast rider. If you're out for a nature cruise, then go for it.

my .02

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post
    Real quick reality check... none of the photochromatic change all that quickly. If you do a ton of riding in and out of the woods, or woods that have sparse coverage you're going to blind yourself, the lenses will not keep up at all of you're a fast rider. If you're out for a nature cruise, then go for it.

my .02

It sounds like you haven't tried them. I think they are great and don't want to mtb without them. I don't know if I am as fast as you and I don't care, but I think I can get it rolling quick enough to say you are wrong about them only being for casual riders.

It isn't about them changing instantly, it is about them being at the tint that is right for the conditions at the time even when conditions change during the ride. So they get you through the part of the ride in full sun and then through the part in the woods without being bad at either.

If you want to talk about being blinded, it happens when you are wearing a dark tint in the woods and are in the sun staring into the shadows and not being able to see anything. That never happens to me anymore, and I don't have to squint through the open fireroad sections because I have on clear or high intensity lenses.

They aren't perfect everywhere, like I think I already said, but they are nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have some made by Specialized that are made for mountain biking. They work great and change tint quickly. I never notice a lack of light or too much light, it always seems the same. They are not dark enough for a road bike that is never in cover, but that is not what they are made for. The glasses have good ventilation and don't slip around on my face. But, they were not cheap around $130 IIRC. I bought them several years ago and the lenses have held up well with no scratches.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    A vote for the Rudy Project Swiftly ImpactX. Mine have been great. They change darkness quite quickly and get nearly light enough for night rides as well as dark enough for the brightest days. The lenses are also quite scratch resistant and durable. I took a pretty hard faceplant and they were only lightly scratched!

I would prefer if they had a slight rose tint like Smith Ignitor lenses, but they are pure grey which is totally neutral and fine.

Review on bikeradar: Rudy Project Genetyk ImpactX Sunglasses Review - BikeRadar
    Last edited by Tony; 07-07-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added a link to a review.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I use the light night version. I ride at night as well, so that's why I chose those, but found they also work great in the wide range of light conditions... overcast, late afternoon, full sun, night, etc. Still has 100% uva/b protection.

The only reason I see not to get this kind, is if you ride a lot in full sun exposure. All of my trails are primarily under tree cover.

*FYI, I was told that the photochro won't work for driving, because of the UV coating on the windshield... if you're looking for your one and only sunglasses.
    These are the ones I went with. Work great, mostly clear (which is what I wanted) and tint up enough for me if I do hit some sun. Thanks