mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Let's talk Helments .. get you mind out of the gutter!

So, I'm looking to get my first helment and been reading all of the posts here. Needless to say, I'm wondering why you all choose what you did.

Personally, Fitment is only half of my requirements, the other is saftey. With all of the odd injurys the worst thing for me to have is a head injury on a trail causing a concussion (engineer by trade).
    We all know we are going to fall, no matter how hard I'd rather protect my head as the body can heal or be replaced. ;-)

On with the question, whats a reasonably price to pay for a safe and comfortable helmet? MIPS, why aren't more availible?

I'm looking to pick up either:
    Scott Lin - MIPS and avail. in sizes ~$120
    Soctt Taal -MIPS one size fit all ~$75

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just a heads up, helmets won't really protect you from concussion, just catastrophic cranium failure and lacerations. If a huge heavy thickly padded football helmet won't prevent concussion, what would make you think our little light things would?

Most helmets are pretty even in the level of protection offered, just get one that is the most comfortable on your head, wear it around the store for at least 20 minutes to check for hot spots.

mtbr member
    I've gotten a concussion even with the helmet absorbing all of the impact and still shattering. At least my skull didnt shatter . . .

I'd look into the POC Trabec MIPS if it fits you. The others look too much like road/XC lids and I like a lot of protection on my MTB

avoid doors
    Apr 2012
    Poc MIPS

You will pay 170-200

Worth it.....I believe research

mtbr member
    Bell Super or Urge enduromatic both have excellent protection

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So, after some research and knowing that a helmet can only protect one so much, I found the Scott Taal and got it for $75.

It actually seemed to be the most confortable and the design includes the same back of the head protection that some more expensive ($100+) had. Plus this is a 'one size fits all' which is great because it easily fits headbands, sweat bands, head wrap, etc. with plenty of room.

Riding with it for the first time in 90 deg temps it was able to keep the sweat out of my eyes all by itself. WELL worth the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just picked up a bell super-- really like it..

Feb 2010
    If you guys had to pick between a Fox Flux and a 661 Recon Stealth helmet, which would you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    If you guys had to pick between a Fox Flux and a 661 Recon Stealth helmet, which would you get?
    You have to try them both on and see what fits you better. Helmets are like saddles, it's a personal thing. For me, I disliked the Fox, but liked the 661, but your head is different.

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
    You have to try them both on and see what fits you better. Helmets are like saddles, it's a personal thing. For me, I disliked the Fox, but liked the 661, but your head is different.
    You are right because thats the conclusion I've gathered from reading the boards. My head is 23 inches around but I do have a weird (triangularly blocky, lol) head so its going to be interesting to see which helmet company fits/matches the shape of my head well!

Rogue Exterminator
    Pretty much all helmets offer the same level of protection and have to pass industry standards to be sold in the US (and most countries). So as long as you stick with name brands you will will be fine even if buying the helmet walmart. I would just avoid the cheap no name Chinese helmets. Maybe they offer the same protection, but maybe they don't.

What you will be shopping for is features, comfort, weight, ventilation, possibly looks, and of course price if you are a budget shopper. Don't fall in to the "how much is your head worth" trap because a $250 helmet probably is not going to offer any more protection than a $25 one.

Mountain bike specific helmets generally offer a little more protection at the back of the head so you may want to look for them.

The most protection will be in a full face helmet but often they are just too damn hot for most mountain biking. However, there are a few brands like the Met Parachute that offer a little face protection without sacrificing comfort and cooling.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Ive had both, bought the flux but hated the retention/strap system, also the pads were poor, got a 661 recon and gave my flux away.
    The recon is a fantastic helmet, lighter than the flux, better air flow, better straps, imo a much better made helmet, i think the flux is an over rated helmet, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Ive had both, bought the flux but hated the retention/strap system, also the pads were poor, got a 661 recon and gave my flux away.
    The recon is a fantastic helmet, lighter than the flux, better air flow, better straps, imo a much better made helmet, i think the flux is an over rated helmet, cheers
    Thanks for your reply Tone! It was actually your posts that I've read that have streered me away from the Fox Flux helmet!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have the flux. My first bike race, I used it, broke it on a otb plant into a ravine.
    Finished race. No concussion. Did its job. Then paid 50 to get it replaced. Then got another off jenson on sale for about same. I actually thought about my football helmet...lol, but way to heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Let's talk Helments .. get you mind out of the gutter!

I wear a Bern Brentwood helmet. It is ventilated way better than what it looks. The brim actually does block alot of sun and you can also get a winter liner to cover your ears which I really like. Plus it doesn't look like a big mushroom on top of my head which I like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    661 Recon really looks like an awesome helmet. It's vell vented, looks good and has a lot of protection. Sadly I cannot try it on. Is it wide or narrow?
    Another helmet is Louis Garneau Edge. It's obviously a good summer/hot weather helmet because of the many vents. There's very few information or review of it. Does anybody have one or can comment on it?

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrider24 View Post
    661 Recon really looks like an awesome helmet. It's vell vented, looks good and has a lot of protection. Sadly I cannot try it on. Is it wide or narrow?
    Another helmet is Louis Garneau Edge. It's obviously a good summer/hot weather helmet because of the many vents. There's very few information or review of it. Does anybody have one or can comment on it?
    This is one of the reasons why I didn't just order from online. I just went to a REI store here in NYC today and tried on....

-Fox Flux
    -Bell Super
    -Giro Hex
    -Giro Xar
    -Giro Phase

Seemed like the size that fit me best was the mediums. Out of all of those, the BEST fitting helmet (for me!) was the Xar and a close second was the Bell Super. The Xar just felt like I wasn't even wearing it.....its that good/comfy! My only concerns are what I've read about sweat dripping into your eyes from wearing it because I sweat A LOT!! No seriously, I SWEAT A LOT!! I would probably have to buy those sweat caps or some kind of bandana with it I suppose.

The Fox Flux was retarded BIG on my head! Made my head look GIGANTIC!! I now understand what a lot of guys mean when they say they don't want a mushroom head, lol! WOW!! I loved the design of the Flux when I first saw it online but in person.....what a disappointment....for me at least.