mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Lens tint colour

Today I picked up a pair of oakley wind jackets (split jackets with wind gasket). I tried rudy projects and tifosi but didn't like the fit on my face. The gasket option is great for me as my eyes are sensitive. The wind jacket comes with warm grey iridium and clean lens. I'm looking for opinions on a 3rd flat light lens to buy. I'm waiting to hear back from oakley whether or not the racing jacket lens fit, the g40 photochromatic lens would be perfect but I didn't like the aggressive styling of the frame. Under the assumption that lens does not fit what are your thoughts. My riding is XC trails and road, I'm leaning towards a rose tint based lens but having hard time of picking one. Hard to see examples between the different offerings.

On a side note what are peoples experience with non vented lenses in these frames? I live in Canada so hot humid weather all the time isn't an issue. Should my new frame be vented or regular?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i couldnt be happier with my g30 iridiums

i enjoy my vented lenses, and it feels nice but i do not know how much of a difference it really makes

the breeze does feel nice though

mtbr member
    I have the split jackets with RX Black Iridium lenses in them. My eyes are really light sensitive and we really don't have much tree cover here on the CO front range. They do fog from time to time but I usually but them in my helmet on long slow climbs were that's a problem. I would think with the gaskets preventing air from getting behind the lenses fogging will be a real problem. As for other lenses when I was on the east cost and road allot in tree cover I use to really like there VR28 tent.

Edit: it looks like Oakley doesn't make the old VR28 I used to use.
    Last edited by pulser; 09-07-2013 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    oh ya i had to go with vented since im in texas, fogged up lenses was a big problem for me until i got these

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was leaning towards the g40 lens, looking at the vented options I see they have a g40 vented and g30 iridium vented. What would be the difference, darker tint? I went with the wind jacket because the cold breeze makes my eyes water a lot. Probably will need a vented lens for use with it though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i believe the g40's are oakley's "Transition" lenses which are their lenses that adjust to light levels
    probably way more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If they are that would be great. The price is the same as the other lens colours so I don't know. I'll wait to hear back from them about the racing jacket lenses. I was inquiring about g30 photochromatic so if they offer a similar lens for the split jackets they would tell me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    oh ok maybe not transitions then they are usually substantially more expensive
    i looked at them, the g40's do appear darker than my g30's so maybe thats the only difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Personally in woods, I've always liked a yellow, like shooting glasses. Use them in my Paintball goggles also.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

Re: Lens tint colour

I have the Oakley Jawbones with the photochromatic lens and I gotta say not a fan. Don't really notice a change. Usually just seems too dark in the woods and too light in open space. Just my 2˘.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

Gnarly
    I find amber lenses most versatile. It softens the glare in bright sun and sharpens the view in the shadows. Amber is my preference for my DH goggles as well
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

ragley blue pig x

Re: Lens tint colour

asd
    Last edited by manbat; 09-17-2013 at 04:00 AM.

mtbr member
    I just got some Flaks a few weeks ago and have played with lens tints(Scheels has been great about exchanging them). I found that my eyes/brain does not do well with contrast tints like the roses or yellow or brown or violet or jade hues. I wouldn't have known this prior, had to test ride or run with them to experience the headache and eye pain that followed about an hour of usage. It was like they let too much light in or my brain couldn't handle the wonky looking colors it made everything. Dunno. Wasn't gonna work for me.

Polarized, I had no issues with and other than making black things have rainbows in them, I can see my Garmin screens just fine and I think the polarized really sharpens details(must be lack of glare?). Lines are crisp, things "pop" visually. Some people get headaches with polarized, so it is a user type thing.

I found non contrast lenses are the best for me, so I have an Ice Blue Iridium Polarized lens for bright full sun(mainly running or road biking). Then I have a mid range light gray iridium for medium light(in & out of foliage, partly cloudy days) and then I got clear for nighttime and overcast days simply for eye protection.

I have the XLJs in the Flaks. I find that they fit pretty close all around my face without the frames being necessary in the lower section(like Racing Jackets), which actually fit me looser and let more ambient light & junk in. So they worked well for me. That dust jacket looks pretty serious! Pretty cool! Vented, yeah I would think you'd want some airflow just for comfort.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Having experience with lens tints for snowmobiling and atvs, I'm used to different tints to increase contrast. Amber lens is a good idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Photochromic lenses don't change very quickly. Not great unless you are in places where there are few trees and always in sun. I do have some in prescription for my Oakley split jacket and they are great for road and commuting where it may be sunny one way and cloudy or dark on the ride home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That is main reason why I was looking at them. My riding isn't in and out of trees for the most part at the moment. But I think a good amber or permission lens will be a good middle lens. I intend to go to an oakley vault in a few weeks to see these lenses in person so I can make a educated choice. Simulated pictures aren't true to life. I'm sure I'll buy more lenses down the road but will need a good overall middle vented lens. The past weekend I was riding an atv with amber goggles and had no issue going from overcast to full sun and back.
    Last edited by trailblazer295; 09-09-2013 at 03:06 PM.