mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Leg warmers for winter riding

Hi,
    I'm looking for leg wamers to survive subzero temperature rides. I don't want to order online this time. There's Mavic, Endura and Bontrager leg warmers in the local store. Are they all the same? All of them cost around $40.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Sub 0C you may need more than just leg Warner's depending on the kind of ride and the wind. The brands will have different fabric, warmth, and fit. I would try them on. I often layer knee warmers, leg warmers, tights in different combinations to suit conditions.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Sub 0C you may need more than just leg Warner's depending on the kind of ride and the wind. The brands will have different fabric, warmth, and fit. I would try them on. I often layer knee warmers, leg warmers, tights in different combinations to suit conditions.
    I will definitely try on all of them. In very cold weather I'll wear leg warmers, liners, undershirt, jumper and a jacket. (and maybe 2 socks, my shoes are not winter specific, but I haven't had problem with them so far)
    I don't really need more than 1 layer on my legs. I just hope the leg warmers are long enough to continously cover my thigh with the liners. I have endura shorts and I'm very satisfied with them. If the fit is good I'll get the warmer from the same brand. We'll see.

mtbr member
    leg warmers are for cool rides above freezing IMO. getting close to freezing, I'm wearing full length winter tights. they're much warmer and won't slip down. The leg warmers will have to be your first layer, because they will only grip skin. Then, if they do slip down, as they can sometimes, you have to be able to pull them up under all those other layers... PITA.

I recommend you get a good set of winter tights as your base layer.

Are you talking sub 0 C or F?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    leg warmers are for cool rides above freezing IMO. getting close to freezing, I'm wearing full length winter tights. they're much warmer and won't slip down. The leg warmers will have to be your first layer, because they will only grip skin. Then, if they do slip down, as they can sometimes, you have to be able to pull them up under all those other layers... PITA.

I recommend you get a good set of winter tights as your base layer.

Are you talking sub 0 C or F?
    Thanks, I'll look at the tights when I try the other stuff.

I'm talking sub 0 C. I'm not that tough to ride in 0 F However, I'd try it out wearing many layers if the ground was covered with snow. Riding on ice is not so funny though, I had the luck try that out last winter. Fortunately I'm lightweight so I could roll over it smoothly.

mtbr member
    I wear endura 3/4 length bib shorts and a pair of mtn bike shorts (without a liner) over them in the winter. Also I use wool socks and shoe covers that just go over the toe area of the shoes. That really helps. Duct tape over the vented part would help. This is in 25 to 40F range. I don't bother with knee warmers. For me they are for road rides where it starts off cold and warms up to the point where you don't need them and remove them or commuting where you use them in the morning and stash them in a pocket for the ride home when it's warner.

troll
    I think leg warmers (and to some extent arm warmers) can be a real PITA. I'm constantly stopping to pull them up because they won't stay in place, even for short periods of time, like when you just need to knock the chill off in the morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    I think leg warmers (and to some extent arm warmers) can be a real PITA. I'm constantly stopping to pull them up because they won't stay in place, even for short periods of time, like when you just need to knock the chill off in the morning.
    while I agree that warmers can slip down sometimes, your post makes me think you probably need a smaller size. they shouldn't slip that often.

mtbr member
    Leg warmers = PITA. Always sliding down in the middle of a ride when out on the trail and difficult to fix. However, when the temps rise as they do here in the south, being able to take the off in the middle of a ride can be a real plus.
    Bib tights = awesome! Stay up, warm. comfy. Only good for cold mornings though.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er