Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Tire TV on blogger

Leg warmers falling down?

here in New England It's still chilly.. I like my leg warmers as it allows me to warm up on chilly days (usually more in March than April, but what ever ) and have the option to pull them off if warmed up or leave on if chilly/windy out

anyway, I have an issue with them keep falling down.. most times it really doesn't matter as after a few miles I'm warmed up and take them off and throw into my pack, but lately the winds here on the CT shore line have made it colder and I often keep them on for the whole ride. but end up stoping 3-4 times to pull them back up....

anyone else have this issue?

I don't like tights much as 80% of the time I end up too warm and want to peel off a layer.. I've tried the warmers over the shorts, under the shorts, smaller size.. bla bla bla.. still have issues, thought under the shorts seems to work the best.. sorta..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I have the same issue and eventually gave up on the warmers and switched to tights. If I get too warm I pull the cuffs up double over my calf area to cool off a bit. I never found a solution to keeping the damn leg warmers from shimmying down constantly.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    I have the same issue and eventually gave up on the warmers and switched to tights. If I get too warm I pull the cuffs up double over my calf area to cool off a bit. I never found a solution to keeping the damn leg warmers from shimmying down constantly.
    ya.. I sweat WAY too much, tried that but found I actually ended up chilled 1/2 thru the ride as the moisture ends up colder and the cuffs cut off the blood flow when pulled up making my foot/leg numb :P
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Leg warmers falling down?

Same issue here with PI knee warmers. Seems they put the silicone 'grippers' on the bottom (calf) part rather than the top thigh.

I ended up sewing on my own band of silicone impregnated elastic onto the upper thigh part, found at the local fabric store.

Problem solved for about $3

mtbr member
    Tights are the only solution for that problem. At least the only solution I have found. Buying them one size to large and then pulling them up (way up) has helped in the past but they get kind of binding in the groin area. Tights just work.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Tights for me too if it's cold, although I have had some minimal success pulling the leg warmers up and stuffing the top under the bottom leg of my shorts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Why don't you try long bike trousers (no tights), where you can detach the lower legs?

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my Pearl Izumi knee warmers. I tried rolling the tops into my shorts but they still worked their way down. I bought a pair of the Royal Membrane knee warmers and have yet to have them slide. Silicon grippers on top and bottom and the fit is perfect.

Knee Base Layer | Royal 2013
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I have no issue keeping my PI leg warmers up. There is a simple key to making them work and some of you are not going to like it.

You have to shave your legs or at least the section where they grip.

so...

fresh shave

leg warmer

shorts over the top

and then Baggies over everything, your a MTB'er after-all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KuKuKu View Post
    Why don't you try long bike trousers (no tights), where you can detach the lower legs?
    Zoic makes some with zip off bottoms, they look good other than you have to come up with a way to keep them out of the chain ring. They should come with a strap from the factory, attached, maybe velcro maybe not. Velcro wears out after a time.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I have no issue keeping my PI leg warmers up. There is a simple key to making them work and some of you are not going to like it.

so...

fresh shave

leg warmer

shorts over the top

The pair that I have only had grippers at the bottom. That is why I got the Royals.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    my leg warmers have grippers at the top, fit just snug without being overly tight, and I pull them over my shorts (MTB liners or road shorts) and they stay up just fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, I have found the short leg warmers completely useless as they always work their way down. I recently have been using the longer ones and put them on before my shorts so they are pretty much covering the entire length of my legs, those stay put no problem. Knickers are a nice in-between for cooler weather.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Mine have the gripper strip on top (LG's) but still fall down. they were better new but being only a yr old they have stretched a tad and sag.... :/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you wearing them with baggy shorts, or do you not otherwise have the tops under the end cuffs of your non-baggy biking shorts? I've never had a problem they are under my shorts, or if I size them tight enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get them TAILORED! Fold over the top and sew it where it fits. I only wear tights when colder. Had to do it to my Ibex knee warmers twice before getting it right.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've noticed that I have no issues with the warmers creeping when the shorts that I wear have silicon grippers on the ends of the legs...of course, with warmers under the short legs. With my shorts that lack the silicone gripper, the warmers creep down no matter what I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Safety pins. Problem solved and most likely for nothing since you probably have them laying around the house.

mtbr member
    Not advising but you could sneak into your wife's/girlfriend's underwear drawer and grab a set of garters. Not only will your leg warmers stay up, but you'll feel sexy as well . They also sell men's garters for your dress socks but I doubt they'd work well.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Not advising but you could sneak into your wife's/girlfriend's underwear drawer and grab a set of garters. Not only will your leg warmers stay up, but you'll feel sexy as well . They also sell men's garters for your dress socks but I doubt they'd work well.
    And shave your legs too!

Off the back...
    They're designed to fit under full length Lycra shorts , as they are classic roadie attire. If they're sliding out from under Lycra, you may need a smaller size. They're not meant to fit loose.

mtbr member
    This has been a problem since the 80s

I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post

so...

fresh shave

leg warmer

shorts over the top

+1 this except for the shave...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

dwt
    mtbr member

Leg warmers falling down?

Quote Originally Posted by FuelEX8guy View Post
    Safety pins. Problem solved and most likely for nothing since you probably have them laying around the house.
    +1. Simple and effective.

If you race you will eventually accumulate a huge collection as 4 are given to you at registration to pin your number on.

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Leggings, tights, garters, shaved legs, sewing.......... What the hell, are you men or mouses?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast