Thread: Leg armor...

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

Leg armor...

Has anyone tried the new Fox Launch 911 leg armor? My roaches have died.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdemon
    I would buy the roach/race face again....they stay on your knees
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

I liked them, but

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I would buy the roach/race face again....they stay on your knees
    the straps all pulled out until there was nothing holding them on except for the upper ones. I don't know why they did, its not like I have huge bulging calves. I didn't abuse them either. So I wanted to try something else, something that goes all the way down to the shoe. I must say, the Roaches stayed put even when there was only the bottom and top straps left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hey ya i own the launch 911 knee/shin guards. They are really nice and confortable, and have a great impack absorbtion distribution. It consists of a ankel strap and then one strap on each side at the top that, each, starts off as 2 starps, leeds to one head, then connects on the other side, then you cross the other side over. Out of all my riding theyhave NEVER slipped down or up my leg, they have NEVER given me any irrtation and are all around wonderfull for any type of riding you want some extra protection on.

You have any specific questions, just ask

Bionic Mtn Biker
    I've been using them for about two months now and I'm completely satisfied. This is my second set, my first being the 661 Race. Truthfully, I purchased them because they were black, & I wanted to color-coordinate w/ my bike and the rest of my gear (I'm such a shallow, superficial kinda guy ).

Positives:
    + Very comfortable. Once adjusted, fit like a glove. There are two sizes, sm/med & lg/xlg. Be sure to get the right size, or you'll struggle w/ guards moving up & down, or acting like a tourniquet on your legs.
    + Breathable material and excellent ventilation makes wearing them tolerable in a hot & humid climate.
    + Easy on/easy off (takes 3 seconds to put on or remove). Just two snap enclosures via the X-up design and a velcro ankle strap on each leg.
    + Absorbs BIG impacts. This is where I felt the biggest difference to the 661s. I've crashed harder on these on hard packed clay & dirt & walked away unscathed than on smaller crashes w/ the 661s on, where I felt the shock of impact.

Negatives:
    - Damn expensive at almost $60 a pop.
    - You'll need to break them in for a few rides to get over the "stiff" feeling.
    - No rear protection, so you're prone to the occasional pedal tattoo to your calf.
    - Top of knee is not flush w/ skin, so expect your shorts to tuck in while riding (I don't have this problem w/ longer moto shorts, though).
    - Snap enclosure may work itself loose during a hard crash. Just pop it back into place.

For the money spent, I think it is worth it, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another set when my current ones wear out. However, one man's treasure is another man's trash, so see if you can try before you buy. I was fortunate enough to find mine at my LBS.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

mtbr member
    I was lookin at 'em too for the same superficial reason because my bike and all my gear is black and I didn't want to look like a storm trooper in Roaches. I didn't have anywhere to try Launch's on though so I went with the safe bet and ordered Roach Rally FR's. Read the reviews....10 thousand chinamen can't be wrong. Who knows maybe I'll paint the Roach's. Ha.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ya the launch 911s do not stay flush against your knee, but if you wear short short biking shorts that wont be a problem but if you wear inbetween, sometimes they get tucked under but just stand up and they pop out [your shorts] or jsut get a bit longer shorts so its never a problem. i have troy lee design Moto Shorts, i LOVE them! never get tucked under and jsut are all around amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdemon
    I recommend the Azonic Slider pads. They have great shin coverage (don't end too soon like so many others) and they are comfortable and somewhat vented. I have them and love them and would certainly get another pair if I needed more leg armor. And they don't slide. Highly recommended