mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Layering Questions

I live in Michigan and plan to ride in 10 - 30 degree F weather this winter- mostly dirt road riding. I am wondering what your thoughts are on the layers I need.

Upper: I purchased a Gore Phantom 2.0 soft shell jacket for the outer layer. I currently have an under armor cold gear thermal long sleeve shirt, but I am wondering if a Gore Thermal Jersey would be good in addition to, or in place of, the under armor.

Lower: I purchased Gore Fusion Windstopper 2.0 soft shell pants and I have under armor cold gear leggings. Is this all I need? I was debating getting the Gore ALP-X bibs and just wearing these. Will these bibs be fine on their own in 20 degree weather? Should I wear the Gore pants and the bibs? Or stay with my current setup of Gore pants and under armor leggings?

I really need help on the lower body question! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My main question is: Are Gore bibs all I need for the lower body? Or should I also get windbreaker pants? Thanks!

These are the Gore bibs I am looking at: Gore Bike Wear ALP-X 2.0 SO Bib Tights with Chamois | Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    I'm in MI as well. I wear a similar bibb setup with my Endura 3/4 short over them. Long socks under a footy sock. My feet usually are the only thing that gets cold.

Up top I wear underarmor long sleeve shirt, - long sleeve T-shirt, - spring cycling jacket, and then my Castelli wind jacket. If I get too warm with this, I can always take one item off and through it in my back pack.

Gloves of course.

Hope this helps.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you, Zerort. Do you find you need, or would miss, the Endura shorts as an extra layer or do you think just the thermal bibs would work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CardsHockey View Post
    Thank you, Zerort. Do you find you need, or would miss, the Endura shorts as an extra layer or do you think just the thermal bibs would work?
    Not quite sure. I just like wearing them as an extra layer of protection. Since I've been riding in the snow/ wet leafy trails I feel a bit more confident. My legs never get hot or cold, so I haven't tried without them. Also, I'm not sure how wind proof my bibs are so the shorts definitely help keeping the cold out.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think the best is to try yourself. It depends of some factors. For example, if you're training, you might want to make 3-5 min stops during the way. In this case, it's worth to have extra layers so you can stop mid-way and not get a cold. If it's racing, you won't stop, so you can have less clothing. Also, depends on what kind of warmup you're doing. It's so many things. Myself, I prefer do ride "over-clothed" so I can do my training and not worry about getting a cold and ruining future training or even work. And then there is the difference from person to person. If you put enough layers, you can ride in temps below 10F, no problems. However the first minutes are traumatizing!!