Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mtn Biker Machinist

Lake MX300 winter shoes

Any one know where I can score the lake winter shoes online? The singlespeed content is that I need them to ride my ss commuter! figured someone out there might know!

Any other comparable options for clipless pedals? It was 5 degrees this morning and 2 pairs of socks and my shoe covers did not cut it! I only got feeling back in my toes about 20 minutes after getting to school!

mtbr member

here...

bikeman.com

You'll love em'.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Any one know where I can score the lake winter shoes online? The singlespeed content is that I need them to ride my ss commuter! figured someone out there might know!

Any other comparable options for clipless pedals? It was 5 degrees this morning and 2 pairs of socks and my shoe covers did not cut it! I only got feeling back in my toes about 20 minutes after getting to school!

mtbr member
    ....one pair of socks - preferably wool, empty bread bag (plastic bag) over the socks, and thick shoe covers - Pearl Izumi Amfib. The plastic bags will hold the heat in (if any). Also, you could try disposable hand/feet warmers. While the above method would probably work, the Lake's would be more stylish...

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog

On sale at Performance for $150.

bb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I see 199 on the Performance website?

Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    On sale at Performance for $150.

bb

Where are they for 150?

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Where are they for 150?
    Sorry... My edit didn't seem to show up. They were on sale yesterday at Perfomance for $150, but today it seems to have gone up to $200.

bb

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Where are they for 150?
    Miss the boat again this year?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A word of advice-get one size larger than your summer shoes. I use 42.5 sidi dominator 5's in the summer, and the 43 Lake's are just a bit too snug for thick socks. I ended up putting in footbeds that accept chemical warmers.

I couldn't find them 43.5.

Just my $.02,

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

( )
    Nov 2004
    check out the MXZ301's. They're the newest version. They have the BOA closure which allows you to tighten the shoe by turning a dial. A bit more money though, I got mine at Speedgoat for $197 and bikeman had them for about the same price.

I put them to the test today as my commute was very snowy and at parts too deep to pedal through. An hour of pedaling and walking through snow and my feet were toasty. I sized up one size also, though only wore one pair of smartwool socks and it was all good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good boots, bad time of the year to buy. Watch eBay.

I sized mine the same as my summer Lakes. When it gets real cold (below 20°F) I pull out the insole and swap in a thinner one so I can use big wool socks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical
    ....one pair of socks - preferably wool, empty bread bag (plastic bag) over the socks, and thick shoe covers - Pearl Izumi Amfib. The plastic bags will hold the heat in (if any). Also, you could try disposable hand/feet warmers. While the above method would probably work, the Lake's would be more stylish...
    Been there, done that, good for quick downpours or unexpected slush... rather do sealskinz or goretex socks. Screw those expensive Lakes, toss on a pair of skinz or gores and your good to go, esp for <1 hour ride. All day in them your bound to have a leak or two, sucks at 40 degrees and raining, but again why pay over $180 for a pair of shoes for the winter when you can buy on ebay seals for $15 shipped, toss on your cheapo clipless shoes (my case 661 clipless bmx-styles, $30+) and your good. Suggested gear for anyone east of CA in the winter (you wusses compain way too much if the temp gets below 40 degrees and maybe cloudly for more than 40 minutes):
    helmet + goretex balaclava
    tee/jersey + Wind/Waterproof Jacket (northface, goretex, etc)
    longjohns + goretex pants or dickies, depending if wet out
    bike socks + sealskinz/goretex socks + shoes
    windstopper gloves + goretex glove shells

mtbr member
    An alternative to the Lake 300 is the Answer Kashmir. Its made with the same English Pittards Leather which is water proof. It has a nice stiff sole and looks very similar. Its only $108 at AE Bike. I took mine out on my coldest ride yet 40 miles at 22 degrees with one pair of socks. My feet did get cold but I think with two pairs I might have been ok. I think for $108 its a bargain. The 301 is supposed to keep feet warm to 15 degrees and I think its much better insulated than the Answer which only has a thin layer of neoprene. I think the Lake has Thinsulate. The Lake cost about $90 more.

mtbr member

No, my feet are toasty.... the wife missed the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Miss the boat again this year?
    I was thinking it would be a nice x-mas gift. I guess I'll have to keep looking for that IF hardtail for her

Dave

Hmmm... I need to check to see who I'm logged in as!
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101

Steel and teeth.
    Sorry... My edit didn't seem to show up. They were on sale yesterday at Perfomance for $150, but today it seems to have gone up to $200.

bb
    Back up at Performance for $150!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...&estore_ID=519

bb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I Now Have a Few Rides in the 301's...

and I am loving them!! I have horrible circulation in my feet, I mean i can get cold in my Sidi's when the temp drops to 50. Never found anything that keeps me warm. I have been out in low 20's three times now with the 301's. I do add the chemical heat packs, and the shoes are like ovens they are so well insulated. I bought mine from Larry at MtnHigh, but they are around. I highly recommend them.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member

$149.98 at Performance

Just incase anyone is still looking for these shoes, Performance has the MXZ 301 shoes on sale for $149.98. That is a great deal! I have a set of the 300 that i bought last year and couldn't be happier with them, just like everyone else says!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You guys are just pain nuts to spend that much on a pair of shoes for the winter... went riding in 4" of snow, 3 hours last sat in my SealSkinz and maybe at one point when I stopped my toes got cold. They where so dry and warm I put on my reg. shoes and wore them home for the drive. Seriously, ebay for $15 shipped and they will last many seasons if taken care of. The guy I rode with left his $200 pair of Lakes at home because he said they sucked at keeping his feet warm, dry maybe, but he said they never worked well to keep em warm. Instead he rode with flat pedals and boots. He was also amazed and kept asking me if my feet where cold.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by usr666
    You guys are just pain nuts to spend that much on a pair of shoes for the winter... went riding in 4" of snow, 3 hours last sat in my SealSkinz and maybe at one point when I stopped my toes got cold. They where so dry and warm I put on my reg. shoes and wore them home for the drive. Seriously, ebay for $15 shipped and they will last many seasons if taken care of. The guy I rode with left his $200 pair of Lakes at home because he said they sucked at keeping his feet warm, dry maybe, but he said they never worked well to keep em warm. Instead he rode with flat pedals and boots. He was also amazed and kept asking me if my feet where cold.
    Oh well... call me crazy, but I like warm feet and have ridden long enough to know what I like... and what works FOR ME.

bb
    Last edited by b1umb0y; 12-13-2005 at 08:10 AM.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    There are so many ways to do things cheaper. I've seen guys use plastic bags on their feet between their socks and shoes. I did that when I first started biking. I also have Gore socks, which work fine, but when it gets downright diggity cold, I like my Lakes.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oh well... call me crazy, but I like warm feet and have ridden long enough to know what I like... and what works.
    Same here, maybe just a poorer or cheaper person than the average joe. Rode several years as a messenger on Skinz and Gore socks in -10 to 50 degrees in snow and rain, eventually you get some leakage but they last for a long time. I started carrying an extra pair and would switch em out round 1pm. Oh well if you got it to burn why not

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    There are so many ways to do things cheaper. I've seen guys use plastic bags on their feet between their socks and shoes. I did that when I first started biking. I also have Gore socks, which work fine, but when it gets downright diggity cold, I like my Lakes.
    Done the same, the bags that is, they work great for a hour or so ride but all day man you take your feet out of em and they are two white (mine are anyway) raisins. Like I said I'm frugal about my purchases, and poor... so for the poor guys/gals who are reading this and you can't afford Lakes and what to ride in the winter, snag some SealSkinz or Gore socks and ride. One of the best times of the year, pushing though inches of snow is a good workout and it gives you an excuse to carry some booze on the ride (since you camel/bottles will freeze and who knows you might want to stop and light a fire)

( )
    Nov 2004
    Done the same, the bags that is, they work great for a hour or so ride but all day man you take your feet out of em and they are two white (mine are anyway) raisins. Like I said I'm frugal about my purchases, and poor... so for the poor guys/gals who are reading this and you can't afford Lakes and what to ride in the winter, snag some SealSkinz or Gore socks and ride. One of the best times of the year, pushing though inches of snow is a good workout and it gives you an excuse to carry some booze on the ride (since you camel/bottles will freeze and who knows you might want to stop and light a fire)

So it sounds like the sealskinz keep your feet dry, but one of the things I'd be concerned about with cold rainy / snowy riding is that my shoes get soaked, and when that happens, they take a good day or two to dry out. I'd rather not have to slip into heavy wet shoes even if my feet stay dry. What are your experiences with this? I think i read somewhere that some people use just sandles with wool socks and sealskinz...that would probably solve the drying out problem. I'd like to try the sealskinze sometime. The gloves look great too. I'm pretty happy with the lakes so far though.

Alcohol and cold weather... might make you feel warm and fuzzy but it actually dialates your blood vessels and accelerates the loss of body heat.

What are the best brand of Gore socks? I tried a couple of pair, but was not happy. Leaks around the seams let the water in and I would end up with a puddle of water stuck inside my socks.
    [SIZE=1]Don't believe everything that you think.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just a word of caution on the new 301's. I've used the old MX300's for at least 6 years with the only problem being that they were a real pain to get on. Between the really tight inner boot & laces that always seemed to get stuck to the velcro I figured I'd try the new 301's. 3rd ride on the new shoes & I ripped the heal cup right off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    Alcohol and cold weather... might make you feel warm and fuzzy but it actually dialates your blood vessels and accelerates the loss of body heat.

What are the best brand of Gore socks? I tried a couple of pair, but was not happy. Leaks around the seams let the water in and I would end up with a puddle of water stuck inside my socks.
    I don't start dipping into the booze until close to the end of the ride and usually I don't because it's an hour ride to any trailhead where I live. Mostly carry if need/want to build a fire.

Rocky where the best ones I had out of the two (second some cheapo but Goretex brand I can't remmeber but didn't hold up well after a few months), one of the reasons I prefer the Skinz, not only for cost but they are taller (go up your leg more) and tigher on your leg at the top. A huge problem, and most of what people compain about, with the Gores are the leaks though the top of the sock, you you run a pair of Gores I'd suggest using something like a velcro strap to keep the top shut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast