Tribe Member

L&M Stella N for helmet but what light for hbars?

So the wife finally let me spend some money on a light upgrade.

I got the Stella N for my helmet but still looking for a light for the handlebar.

What I would like to know is, what is the best setup for some 24hr races, commuting and lot's of night trail rides.

I really like the DIY section but have no clue how to do that, so that is out.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

BBW
    mtbr member
    It depends on how many lumens do you want but I would say Dinotte. Check them out, they come with 2 Li-ion batteries (4 hours on Hi or 8 hours on Hi for each, depending on size)
    You could buy 1 200L or their dual system (2 x 200L)
    Their output is 200 lumens for each

Or... you could go with the 600L (600 lumens)

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    What I would like to know is, what is the best setup for some 24hr races, commuting and lot's of night trail rides.
    Rich
    I got my Stella N in the mail just before Xmas and really like it so far ( not that I've ridden with it yet but I've spent a lot of time walking around the house in the dark with it).
    I'm almost in the same boat as you, do a lot of 24 hr races and commuting and need a bar mount light some time soon ( I've still got a Jet Lites Starfire system and my old Niterider Trailrat but both systems have batteries that are dying).
    I've been thinking of the Princeton Tec Corona. http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=11&brand=1129
    Not quite sure if it is really bright enough (my night rides tend to be slowish anyway) but it's cheap enough not to hurt too much if I need something more and it could always be a backup (or main) commuter light.
    Cheers, Dave

Singletrack Daydreamer
    It depends on your budget, but from the beam shots I've seen from the Hope Vision 5w, I've been quite impressed. The quality and color of light make it seem like more than the 300 lumens claimed. It's in the $250 price range.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out this link;
    http://bikemag.com/gear/accessories/LED_Light_Test_1/
    and this one;
    http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php
    You should be able to find something good.
    Check out candlepowerforums.com/bicycle for additional info.
    As for the building thing-I ended up building 2 lights in the last 2 months and ended up with a pair of lights putting out about 500-550 lumens each and spent about $300 total for both. I don't have a machine shop.
    Building your own does give you the latest technology if you can do the actual build process.

Good luck, Eric S

Members who have read this thread: 0