mtbr member

Knee warmers..who uses them and which ones for big quads?

I am 5'6" so finding anything that fits on short legs can be challenging. The average inseam for a "medium" is a little too long. I had some Pearl leg warmers that were just too long..couldn't stand them. I tried some Smartwool knee warmers...they are the right length if I wear longer socks..I get full coverage. Problem I am having is that if I can barely get the L/XL over my quads..at least enough to keep them from falling down. Maybe I need garters. Any other brands that may fit my short stumpy-@ss legs?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Oji
    Jun 2008

Defeet

I've been using Defeet wool Kneekers for years and love them. Stretch wool fabric is comfortable and stays warm even if you get caught in rain or snow. They stay in place while riding too.

Kneekers knee warmers wool

mtbr member
    I've been using Hincapie fleece/stretch knee warmers for a couple months now and I love them. Not quite enough to stand alone but they turn almost any wind pants into thermal value which is nice for the commute and doubles for my service tech job. Since I spend a lot of time on the floor fixing things, thermal barriers are very nice.

The length is apparently a subjective issue, because I have found the extra length to be a bit handy to tuck under the main shorts hem. Doing so helps the gripper elastic stay in place a bit better and reduces thermal gap issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have some pearl izumi that I paid $20 for. Kind of a light fleece inside and a wicking poly outer. It's a trick to get them.right but once you do they stay in place. Wore them today in 48 degree weather. Not cold but my knees don't function if.not kept warm.enough.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use Ibex merino wool knee warmers. 2 differnet lengths. Don't worry about a gap between socks and warmers unless it's in the 30's or less. Many have to go to a TAILOR to get the warmers to fit and not slide down. If it's in the 30's I usually wear tights.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm about 5'8" and I'm in the same boat with finding things to fit. I have a 34" waist which almost always puts me in the large category as anything smaller would cause me to tapout. For the problem you're talking about, I got some performance windproof /waterproof tights. They are, of course, size large, but they fit great. Run by a Performance bike shop and check them out.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    I used to wear knee warmers but now I use knee pads. They are plenty warm for me, they give my old bones some protection when hitting cold ground and they stay in place. If you have seriously big quads like a bicycle track racer or weight lifter even XL size might be too small but give 'em a try. I am using Race Face Dig knee pads on my recent rides. I like these for a few reasons but one is that they open/close at the straps in the rear so you don't have to take your shoes off and slide them up/down your leg to put them on or take them off.

I had the problem with my Voler knee warmers sliding down too, it helps if the grippy stretchy part is engaged onto your shorts to prevent slip. Nothing really worked for me to prevent that over more than around 45 minutes of riding though. I had to stop occasionally and hitch them up when using them. Maybe garters would help? I could have possibly bought them in too large of a size but they felt pretty dang tight when I purchased them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Aero Tech Fleece Arm Warmesr, Leg Warmers. Toe Covers, cycling gloves

They actually provide the thigh measurements so you don't have to guess what the sizes really mean.