mtbr member

just out BG defroster winter shoes

I know these are new on the shelves but has anyone tried these out? What do you think compared to the lake's? They are quite a bit lighter, but I want warmth!!!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=33744
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    the big key will be waterproof/windproof and how well the seams hold up. for warmth just get a size bigger and wear heavy socks. Just dont pack your feet in too much and cut circulation or you'll never stay warm

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Who knows, new product, summer has yet to pass much less winter. Depending on where you live obviously makes the biggest difference I live in Michigan, but I actually wear my Lake sandals year round. With good layering I haven't ever had cold feet. I go with a thin poly base, merino wool, toe caps, performance fleece lined neobooties with a thin wool insole then in the sandals they go. The insole keeps the chill from coming through the bottom from my cleats.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My summer shoes of choice are Specialized BG s-works (in a size 46). Since these fit me perfectly, I was naturally going to get a pair of Specialized Defrosters but I am worried that they might not be warm enough and seem expensive compared to the Pear Izumi GTX, Northwave and Shimano MW-80, all of which have Gore-Tex liners.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with any of these shoes?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Ive had really good luck with the BG defrosters, I was out in sub 20F over the weekend for 3 hours with a thick pair of ski type socks and the BG's and did not have a problem, including some hike-bike through snow, I got mine a size or so bigger than i would normally wear. they seem really well constructed, no issues with seams etc and this is my second winter with them. They don't come up quite as high as my old Lakes but have held up better and are still totally water and wind proof.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have some Defrosters and they're not warm enough for me. Next time, I'm getting Lakes, or maybe some SIDI Toasters heated insoles if I can afford that luxury.

"Oh sorry, I can't ride tonight... I forgot to recharge my insoles"