mtbr member
    May 2014

Jersey for mountain biking

Newbie here...

I opted for mountain bike shorts over lycra shorts due to the abrasion resistance the shell provides. this is sad because I was really hoping to show off my bulge

What about jerseys?

from what i gather, they are essentially the same fabric but a mountain bike specific jersey might be looser with no pockets. is this true?

are there jerseys that are made with abrasion resistant material?

also, i have a proportionally big neck. on regular t shirts crew necks choke me and "normal" v-necks tend to be snug around my neck. v necks that are a little bigger then normal but smaller then "deep" v necks are great for me. how do v neck jerseys compare in sizing? i know someone is just going to tell me to get one with a zipper but if the neck is too small to sit around my neck it will still be bad for me.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Why would a zippered jersey be too small around your neck? You unzip it to a comfortable sized opening. That's the point of having the zipper...that and to unzip all the way down to help stay cool.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wear the same stuff, road or mountain. I find the pockets useful. Back when I was still using camel baks, they weren't so relevant. Still useful, but I could as easily use the pack.

The sense of proportion is sort of weird between a race cut jersey and a pair of baggy shorts. Depending on how much you care, you might want to get something with a more casual cut. That's usually called "casual" or sometimes "training." Or just buy the next bigger size. That'll take care of the neck thing too.

DH jerseys are made to take a beating. But they fall into "be careful what you wish for" on a hot day, I suspect.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Trail Noob
    Hey, man, don't worry. I'm a newb here too.

When it's cooler, I wear an old Thor motocross jersey. It's made for riding in warm weather because it's vented, but its durable and served me well. Off subject, but glove-wise I use a set of Answer moto gloves a friend gave me. Now during the summer, I just wear dri-fit fabric t-shirts, but if you want a purpose-made jersey, just get something that suits your style, price range, and if you like pockets, functionality.

I haven't bought much in the way of bike-specific gear, but I don't see that there is much of a difference in the construction. Maybe its a little more of an snug, athletic fit for aero purposes and the fabrics are engineered for sports.... I dunno.

Hope this rambling will help.

Austin, Texas
    I wear mountain bike specific shorts. I didn't think it would matter much, but after trying them, I most definitely like them better than the regular old camo shorts that I had been wearing. The shirt is a different story. I've had bike specific shirts and it doesn't mean a thing to me. I just use UnderArmour or Nike-type wicking shirts...usually semi-loose and they work perfectly. Everything I carry is in my hydration pack anyway.