mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Jaztronaut upgrade for 45nrth fasterkatt shoes?

I've got a pair of 45nrth fasterkatt shoes. They work ok, but my toes still freeze at modest temperatures sometimes. It looks like they don't use aerogel insoles like the wolvhammer's. Would replacing the stock insoles with 45nrth Jaztronaut insoles help with the bottoms of my feet getting cold?

Is this going to make my shoes fit too tight? I can barely get the zipper closed with thick socks (even after I sized up 2 extra sizes on the damn shoes to begin with)

Should I try the $15 toasty feet insoles from amazon first? Anyone else have experience with this?

mtbr member
    The Jaztronaut are great for the bottoms and work as advertised. The only fix for cold toes that I have found are the chemical toe warmers that stick to the top of your socks. Try wearing 1 thick pair of merino wool socks and the toe warms before you buy the Jaztronaut. My fasterkatts are great without them with the single thick pair of wool socks and toe warmers for 2.5 hours in 15 degree temps. My guess is after that you will find another weakness in your gear. Another thing to remember is that more socks aren't necessarily going to keep your feet warm but could have your shoes fitting too tight and cutting off circulation which will give you cold feet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    The Jaztronaut are great for the bottoms and work as advertised. The only fix for cold toes that I have found are the chemical toe warmers that stick to the top of your socks. Try wearing 1 thick pair of merino wool socks and the toe warms before you buy the Jaztronaut. My fasterkatts are great without them with the single thick pair of wool socks and toe warmers for 2.5 hours in 15 degree temps. My guess is after that you will find another weakness in your gear. Another thing to remember is that more socks aren't necessarily going to keep your feet warm but could have your shoes fitting too tight and cutting off circulation which will give you cold feet.
    I do typically just wear one pair of mid-weight hiking socks. My shoes are really tight and I can barely zip them up when wearing two pairs of socks. Doubling up doesn't seem to do much for my comfort either. I think I need to just stick with one pair.

While commuting, I found that adding a bit of a wind shield in the form of the corner of a plastic grocery bag on just the toes and forefoot stopped a bit of the heat loss at the front of my foot and made me more comfortable during the single digit weather we had here in Pennsylvania this week. I've still got to test that on some longer rides (once it warms up to the double digits again).

I'll try that with and without warmers and then add in warmers and see how that affects the comfort level before dumping $50 on some aerogel insoles.