mtbr member

Input on five.tens I recently bought, not crazy about them...

OK, been riding clipless for a couple years but recently got some light platforms for a product review and decided to get some 5.10's and see what all the hypes about. I picked up a pair of older freerider's on clearance during the holidays, less than $50 delivered if I remember right.

So far I've been on a couple rides and wore them a couple days shopping with the wife and kids to try and break them in but I'm still not sure if I like them.

I am going to try an insert, to add some comfort when walking as well as to take up a little room as they are a little roomier than was expecting.

They certainly grip, I mean almost to a fault lol. The thing I struggle with is having to think about foot placement, I hadn't had to worry about that for a couple years.

The questions I was wondering about was does anyone have a recommendation on an insole, maybe one of the nice Specialized BG inserts if they fit?

Also, is there a trick to breaking them in to make them slightly "less" grippy?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Also, is there a trick to breaking them in to make them slightly "less" grippy?
    no comments an an insole. As for grip - what pedals are you running?

mtbr member
    I think the grip is something you get used to. At first you expect to be able to slide your foot around to whatever position you want, but you can't.
    You get in the habit of unweighting your foot to move it. Its not a big deal after a while.
    For me its just nice to be able vary the pressure points under your foot compared to clipless where your foot stays in one spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    same here, just had to get used to lifting foot to reposition (if that's what you mean).
    One option is to shorten the pedal pins (if set screws - screw them down to stick up less)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You're right about them being uncomfortable to walk in. When I'm pushing up the hill I can feel every little pebble I step on. Obviously this soft rubber is what makes them so rad. I always told myself I'd get some insert, but still haven't to this day. I'm sure any kind/type will improve comfort.

mtbr member
    They must be different than the 5.10 impact lows. Those things have a really thick sole, and thick padding all around. They are good for walking IMO. My problem with them is that they get hot, and they are a bit ugly.

mtbr member
    I'm using Xpedo Spry pedals, not sure why I didn't think about backing the pins down but that's a great idea, I'll give that a shot.

I guess comfort is really all relative, I run occasionally and wear pretty nice running shoes, I'm used to having some serious cushion, these just don't have it. The model I picked up were the spirfires, not the freeriders, I was mistaken.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like Smilinsteve I have Impacts, and I don't feel pedal pins or small rocks through the soles. You might be happier in Impacts.

mtbr member
    I've got those pedals and free riders. Back the pins down. I wear mine all the time, couldn't be more comfortable. The styling is not preference, but they were on clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, takes getting used to. Used to think they were bulky and heavy, but don't notice them at all now when riding. Put some superfeet insoles in them, but mostly cause they were a bit loose on me, 9.5 was too tight so went up to a 10. Play around with pin height and placement on your pedals to tailor it to your grip preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'll chime in on this one... A little background for perspective -- just got back in MTB about 4 months ago after being away for a few years. I have used clipless both on the road and MTB in the past with no issues. Grew up racing BMX so I'm comfortable with flats as well.

I recently tried some composite flats and an old pair of DVS skate shoes on my Niner EMD in place of my Candy's and Sidi's. I end-up loving it and swore off my clipless... I purchased Spank Spike pedals along with 5.10 Impact Lows after doing a bunch of research and having them recommended to me. I used them once and hate them. Not even going to give them a second try. WAY too bulky for my liking -- they look like some sort of orthopedic shoe. If you are looking for as much sole cushioning as possible, I recommend these. They have zero feel for me (what I liked about the feeling in my worn-out DVS's)... They are definitely stable with a large footprint.

I wish the Van's Gravels were still available -- can't find any in my size. Now I'm debating between the 5.10 Freerider XVi and the Teva Links. I'll report back based on what I decide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the Spitfire as well. It's a completely different shoe than the Impact. It has a thin sole, and not much arch support. I don't wear them off the bike at all, too uncomfortable. But if I was going to suggest an insert I would say Superfeet. But I've also had good luck with a cheaper insole from the big box stores. It takes some getting used to as far as the grip, which is sometimes too much, but maybe play around with the length of the pins you're pedals have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Spank Spikes and Freeriders for me. I switched to them a month ago after 15 years of riding/racing on clipless pedals. I love them. It took me about 3 weeks to learn the technique but I think I've got it down. I'm climbing just as fast, descending even faster, and my feet are happy. I read for hours on mtbr about other peoples experience. In the end I just had to try them for myself. So happy I did. Good luck with you decision. I'd give the Freeriders a try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    I'd give the Freeriders a try.
    I ordered the Freerider XVi's yesterday after much research and agonizing... If the Freeriders are less bulky and have more foot feel than the Impact's, I think they should work. I'm still suspect on 5.10s offering too much grip (for my preference) but time will tell.

I decided against the Teva Links when I saw Teva is getting out of the business (and the links are still selling for full retail...). And I couldn't find the Van's Gravel anywhere in my size. They list them on the Van's site but I still couldn't find them which sucks because I was hoping to try those next.

I'll report back on the Freerider's and also share my Impact vs.Freerider analysis once I have some ride time in them.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    I ordered the Freerider XVi's yesterday after much research and agonizing...
    I have been using these with Deity Decoy LT pedals and I love the combo. So much so that I use them for XC riding on my 29"er as well, not just my trailbike. I'm to the point now I am going to have to buy a 2nd set of platforms, LOL
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    I'm still suspect on 5.10s offering too much grip (for my preference) but time will tell.
    There is no such thing as too much grip with flat pedals. It's a different technique to moving the foot on the pedal. Also, try changing the pin height on the pedals. Set the pins up in a concave manner; lower pins closer to the pedal body and axle; higher pins on the outside of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I have been using these with Deity Decoy LT pedals and I love the combo. So much so that I use them for XC riding on my 29"er as well, not just my trailbike. I'm to the point now I am going to have to buy a 2nd set of platforms, LOL
    Wellgo MG-1s are good-light-cheap trail/XC platforms

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    All I own is a XC bike and use flat pedals for them. I'm not much of a dirt jumper at all. I thought it would look funny with flats on my hardtail, but my good buddy told me, "dude, nobody looks cool wearing spandex, so don't worry about flat pedals." Good point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have Impact low and whilst the grip is great I agree with others that they feel like you are in an orthotic boot. Not comfortable at all. I have tried a couple of different sizes but still no joy. My feet actually go numb in them whilst riding which is a bit disconcerting. I have tried to give them a decent chance to break in but they don't seem to be getting any more comfortable. Disappointing because the grip of the sole is fantastic. I also own another pair of Fiveten walking/hiking shoes and they are great. Very solid and comfortable for hiking but no good for biking as the sole has too much tread.

May start to look into alternative, cheap skate shoes. Anything for a bit more comfort.

Five Ten Impact 2 Low MTB Shoes | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quick update... I got out for my first ride in my new Freerider XVi's and it was a night and day difference over the Impacts. It's a lower profile shoe overall and while you give up some sole cushioning to the Impacts, what you get in return is feel. Exactly what I was looking for. And when I rode yesterday, it was a bit wet in places and damp in others. The one or two times I was off the bike, I had perfect grip even with the flat spot sole.

I also backed the screws down on my Spikes. I'm going to try a couple of other settings but backing them down a bit also helped me start to achieve the feel I'm looking for with the Freeriders.

Thanks again for the advice and guidance - I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am using freeriders VXI and azionic 420 flats. I love the grip and feel of this combination. It did take some getting used to having to lift my foot to reposition, but its worth it. They arent bad to walk in. My only complant is the amount of dirt that ends up inside my shoes during a ride.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite

mtbr member
    I love the Impact Lows. I'm using my custom insoles [I use 'em in every shoe I wear] in them and find them super comfy on and off the bike. I can wear them 12hrs+ without a second thought.

I got a pair of the Freerider Elements as a lighter duty shoe to wear mountain bike touring and around town.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com