Jumper

Injuries vs. Armor

I used to do some BMX racing when I was in my teens. I am in my early thirties now and picked up mtn biking again a few months ago. Since then I have wiped out many times. I dont't mind wiping out because its part of the sport. But recently, I have busted my knee up to where I couldn't walk for two weeks, then again I tumbled head over down a hill attached to my bike to where all the skin was removed from my knee and it looked like a golfball was under the skin in my shin. Dilemna is, most of the trails I ride, I rarely see people wearing armor, just some older guys wearing it. I went ahead and bought some Roach FR shin/knee, but am kinda hesitant to wear it. What are your thoughts on this. Is this looked down upon in the Mtn bike community? Hell, maybee it shouldn't matter.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought the same shin/knee guards and I ride in Florida for crying out loud (hot and no hills). If it makes you more comfortable, or lets you go to work on monday, then wear it.

The only guy we make fun of around here wears a closed face helmet, chest protector, basically full armor, and we see him out at a place called Flatwoods (hints at the terrain) and even then, he only rides for maybe a half hour and hangs out in the parking lot the rest of the time.

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780
    I used to do some BMX racing when I was in my teens. I am in my early thirties now and picked up mtn biking again a few months ago. Since then I have wiped out many times. I dont't mind wiping out because its part of the sport. But recently, I have busted my knee up to where I couldn't walk for two weeks, then again I tumbled head over down a hill attached to my bike to where all the skin was removed from my knee and it looked like a golfball was under the skin in my shin. Dilemna is, most of the trails I ride, I rarely see people wearing armor, just some older guys wearing it. I went ahead and bought some Roach FR shin/knee, but am kinda hesitant to wear it. What are your thoughts on this. Is this looked down upon in the Mtn bike community? Hell, maybee it shouldn't matter.
    Thanks
    Sorry to break this to you, but if your in your 30's, you're one of those "older guys".

The reality is that once you hit 30, your body just doesn't heal as fast/well as it did when you where younger.

Wear the body armour. As your skills come back and you get to know your limitations, and know the trail, you won't wipe nearly as much and can ditch the armour. Wearing the armour makes you smart, not wussy. Even once you get your skills back, you'd still be wise to wear it in the winter. Those trails get slick, no matter your skillset. [EDIT] Assuming you ride in the winter in a place where it freezes (I'm in Maryland)

Riiiiiide...
    I use 661 knee/shin gaurds and elbow/arm pads. I ride all mountain for several hours. It might seem bothersome the first few minutes when you put it on.. but after that its like they are not there, at least for me. So comfort wise its no problem. Looks wise, it really doesnt go good with lycra.. go baggy!
    But anyways safety first.

And learn to USE the pads in falls!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Pretty funny you would care what others think about your wearing armor. Anybody who laughs at you for wearing it is either ignorant or has never been injured before. The older you are, the longer it takes to heal and the higher the stakes for an extended sabbatical from work due to injury. If the choice is between looking foolish in front of a bunch of yahoos and being safe....

Double-metric mtb man
    As another "old dude" (32) from Alberta, Canada I can say that image doesn't matter.

If I'm going to be riding more aggressively, I'll throw my Roach pads on. Besides, this time of year, I get two additional benefits: I can use the arm pads to beat my way through the encroaching brush that tries to take over the singletrack (a la gates in DH skiing) and I can use them for additional warmth (we're scraping to highs in the 50's these days).

On top of it all, I have a 3/4 helmet and a 5" FS bike....pads don't look that far out of place as I can and do hit some of the nastier stuff.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    I'll wear armor at the right time too. I have for 10+ years.

The only thing that bugs me is when a rock or stick pokes me between the pads!

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Wear the armor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave In Florida
    I bought the same shin/knee guards and I ride in Florida for crying out loud (hot and no hills). If it makes you more comfortable, or lets you go to work on monday, then wear it.

The only guy we make fun of around here wears a closed face helmet, chest protector, basically full armor, and we see him out at a place called Flatwoods (hints at the terrain) and even then, he only rides for maybe a half hour and hangs out in the parking lot the rest of the time.

I'm considering the move to FF helmet but I don't think I'd bother with that stuff at Flatwoods; heck, I even feel confident enough to put the clipless pedals back on when I ride out there. I've gotten to where I'm really enjoying the bigger stuff out at Alafia & Boyette but seeing as I have less than a month left in my 20's (yikes) I tend to ponder my mortality a bit more looking down those decents. To the OP I'd say wear the armor, it's cheaper than the medical bills.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I used to do some BMX racing when I was in my teens. I am in my early thirties now and picked up mtn biking again a few months ago. Since then I have wiped out many times.s
    You're in your thirties and you still care what other people of you, enough that you're prepared to put up with painful injuries?

Just wear the armour

Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    You're in your thirties and you still care what other people of you, enough that you're prepared to put up with painful injuries?

Just wear the armour
    No, hence the my original quote. "Hell, I guess it doesn't matter" Not that I care what other people think. I was more hearing what seasoned mtn bikers had to say. I.E. maybee terrain dictates, etc. Due to the fact that I also never wore it as a BMX racer other than full face helmet. But then again thats a whole different ball game.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I hit a tree this past Monday and broke my scapula and dislocated the shoulder. I was wearing Roach knee and shin guards. Came down hard on my knees and was able to walk out the 1.5 miles. Best $50 bucks I ever spent. I have no doubt my knee caps would have been wrecked. I'll never go off-road without them, so my advice is to wear them.
    Cannondale Uber V 900

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose - Ayrton Senna

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    I wear knee/shin, elbow/forearm, and full face helmet everytime I ride in the 7th ring of hell heat known as Oklahoma, @ 37 I have to get up and go to work tomorrow so I wear it no matter what.
    Plus that's what I wear when I race so I want to be used to it, and it not overheat me if I only wear it on race day.
    I understand that you are not looking to race, (but you will, I promise) but it will also give you more confidence on the trail to push your abilities and gain more skills.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

Build first, ask questions later.

mtbr member
    I bought some rockgardn knee/shin and elbow pads for my xc riding (so cal) but i must admit, i feel like i'm going to look like a dork wearing them. Especially since no else around here wear's them, not even the women. Not sure i will wear them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

SixSixOne Veggie Wraps

I don't even consider these armor, just protective gear. At least your knees will not take such a drastic hit if you come down on sharp small rocks and you don't even know they're on once you warm up. The next step is minimum elbow wraps, but I haven't gone there. I'm a real wuss when it comes to downhill so full face isn't even a consideration. And you're in your early 30s and feeling old? Dude, compared to me you're just a youngin'. And I still ride.

And...don't buy into the philosophy that crashing is just a part of the mountain biking mystique. I hate to crash and actively seek to avoid it. I would have never lasted this long if I looked forward to crashing. You don't have to crash to make it real, the riding is what makes it real.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    You know you need it, you just have shame.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I learned my lesson it hurts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Crasher
    Jumper - check out some of these, they'll keep you protected enough to make the daily run up and down Ardennes tolerable. Jumpmaster

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/154...Knee-Guard.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...bow-Guards.htm
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityD
    I learned my lesson it hurts
    sweet pedalbite! Everytime i go to the skatepark/foam pit i tell myself that i will wear knee pads but i dont, and my knees are terrible as are my sins. i just ordered 661 veggie wraps. F*$( what everyone else thinks, i wear a full face on trails. as long as you are safe and comfortable go for it. safe > sorry

mtbr member
    I've found as I've gotten older, #1 if wearing protective gear lets me walk away from a wipeout, wear it, #2 who cares what the "cool" guys think because #3 when they get older they're going to be wishing they had worn pads when they were younger cuz they ache now.

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks
    sometimes with age comes wiseness......I wear those same pads all the time...not sometimes ALL THE TIME
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sometimes with age comes wiseness......
    , I hope that was irony

Members who have read this thread: 0