mtbr member

I'm racing in 95 F tomorrow, never worn lycra. Can it be cooler than a BMX jersey?

I have only worn holy jerseys and BMX shirts because I am so hella-retro.

I have heard some guys say that lycra is cooler on really hot days, does anyone have an opinion or back to back experience?

I don't want to look roadie unless I have to.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Roadies dont dress like that for the fun of it. Lycra is worn because it allows freedom of movement, is light and breathable.

The roadie jerseys with pockets are nice for quickly acess to food even with a camelbak as you can reach it while riding. The lycra shorts are ideal for hot conditons as well since they are light. I ride in the az desert in summer and wear Lycra all the time. Best stuff for the heat IMHO.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You don't have to get a roadie jersey that is covered with European brands and logos like a NASCAR driver. Any kind of running or athletic shirt would be better for MTB riding, but a bike-specific jersey is cut to be worn in a riding position, with your arms forward. They're also cut longer in the back so you're not exposing your crack to everyone behind you when your back is arched over. They're much more comfortable, and you can find them in any style. None of mine have any logos.

I don't look like a roadie, even when i'm on the road bike. I don't wear lycra shorts. I prefer MTB-style shorts with a slightly baggy outer-short worn over a padded lycra under-short. I like the pockets. Gore Bike Wear makes some very nice MTB shorts, but they're outrageously pricey if you can't find them on clearance or on sale somewhere.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    I agree with the lycra shorts being much cooler. However, I think a basic Underarmor or similar thin synthetic shirt is cooler than a real biking jersey.

Trailhead Poseur
    Florida rider here, and lycra is cooler, so long as you don't then cover them up with baggies. The extra layer defeats the cooling benefits. Wear the lycra - it's a race, not a fashion show.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the advice guys. I ended up wearing a very high end Lycra (Primal Speed Pro) that had been given to me for helping some guys out.

Quote Originally Posted by primal website
    SpeedPro

SPEEDPRO | Jersey
    100% Polyester | 180 gsm | SPF 35
    Plaited double-knit fabric with 2-way mechanical stretch has a push/pull effect which draws moisture from the surface of skin and pushes it off the face of the jersey to keep you cool and dry.
    Fortunately, the jersey does not match anything else, so I was able to avoid being fashionable.

The course was the hottest, the most climbs, and the longest of the year so far (yet still nothing compared to previous years).

I have to say the Lycra worked very well. The places I noticed an improvement was "in the direct sun", especially on my back. Also I could feel the sweat-wicking working, apparently according to planned design.

Disadvantage, no cool breeze through the tiny holes of a Retro BMX jersey on the downhills.

Thank you all again for your advice.