Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I'm not a lycra guy...what other short options

I just can bare to wear lycra in public. I think there should be laws against it with weight limitations. LOL Currently I wear a pair of spandex under my mesh shorts and thats my riding attire. It works good for me, but I'd like something with pockets and possbily more designed for mtn biking. Any options? I need something that will fit a 38-40 inch waist.

Probably drunk right now

Wear Lycra

Quote Originally Posted by doolin64
    I just can bare to wear lycra in public. I think there should be laws against it with weight limitations. LOL Currently I wear a pair of spandex under my mesh shorts and thats my riding attire. It works good for me, but I'd like something with pockets and possbily more designed for mtn biking. Any options? I need something that will fit a 38-40 inch waist.
    get some lycra bike shorts and wear regular shorts over them. Or buy baggy mountain bike shorts.

Ken

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Have you ever tried to ride in skinnies (opposite of baggies)? If you are 38-40 you are not that big, and should be able to get some high quality shorts in you size. The problem with most of the baggies out there is the have pretty cheap pads in the liners. Just compare the pads of a 100 dollar pair of skinnies to 100 dollar pair of baggies. There are a few exceptions like some of the Pearl baggies.

I also like the light weight of the lycra shorts and the fact that there is nothing to snag when moving around on the bike seat. The biggest only downside is that they are not very resistant to tearing if you scrub against a tree or thorns.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider
    Have you ever tried to ride in skinnies (opposite of baggies)? If you are 38-40 you are not that big, and should be able to get some high quality shorts in you size.
    I have to agree.

At 38/40 waist, you're not that big, and won't look bad in spandex.
    FS: Everything

Fat, but working on it...
    I wear a 38-40 (sometimes 42 if I'm not eating right) and I wear spandex. The good thing is that 38-40 is XL in a lot of brands. It's nice not to have to buy the largest size that a company makes every now and then...

But, most every company will have a baggy short that will fit you, so the options are endless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a size 40 waist and just boought a pair of Fox MTB shorts that were on sale at REI.com. Wore them this week for the first time and they were comfortable to ride in and I didn't mind being seen in public in them afterwards when I went to get some dinner. I would suggest getting them larger than you think you need though. I got the XL and would have liked a little extra room but its not bad and I'll shrink into them as I ride more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I appreciate the feedback guys. I just still don't feel comfortable marching aroundin spandex. Thats just me. I'm Chris I'll have to look into those fox shorts.

mtbr member
    I can relate completely. Something about showing your belly or your d**k when you're my age just isn't that cool even though I'm a he-man.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi skinnies a couple weeks ago for something like $100 cause I needed more than one pair of shorts. It was a lot but I was in a hurry and they fit. I had an old pair of Fox baggies that I used to wear often. Lately I was just using an old pair of Patagonias because I was doing a morning workout and I was just getting exercise. Turns out my wife liked the results (I lost 18 pounds in the last few months) so she told me to go get a real bike (which I did within five minutes) about month ago ('05 Specialized Expert Disk 120 - no flames, please)...

I've been trailriding hard every day for a month now. Today my skinnies were dirty so I donned the baggies. What misery! Uphill switchbacks were a complete drag. I couldn't get my weight forward on the seat. Too much fabric. And the comments about the pads being substandard are right on. My butt hurts! I felt like I was in a straightjacket the entire ride today. And I felt like my butt-crack was showing the entire ride. I was tugging and pulling them shorts around all morning.

I've now realized that most, if not all, of that biking "stuff" we see "real" bikers wearing is meant to perform.

I hope the women can handle my new look!

X

Nim
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My two cents

I appreciate the feedback guys. I just still don't feel comfortable marching aroundin spandex. Thats just me. I'm Chris I'll have to look into those fox shorts.
    I ride with both baggies and lycra's. Lycra is the most comfortable and efficient way to go IMO - especially the longer the ride gets. As far as baggies (and I am an XL also), I'd recommend Nema Crown Jewels. I have Fox High Frequency that are pretty nice material and chamios, but always gives me the feeling that I am going plumbers butt. They just don't stay in place as well and just don't fit as well as the Nemas do for me. I also have a pair of Louis Garneaus that are nice, but the leg is too short. Also, with baggies the chamios just doesn't feel as good as with lycra.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    BAGGIES = BAGGAGE!

Does anyone here need extra baggage on their ride?

I want someone to make some skinnies with anti-scuff pads on the sides for tree snag protection, and maybe a little pocket for gels on the leg. And of course make them in real man sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm not doubting that skinnies aren't better or more efficient for riding. But even when I've gone jogging I wear basketball shorts. I dunno, it's just me, it's what I'm comfortable in. Right now I am riding for the exercise part of it. I ride without any sort of pads just spandex and basektball shorts. My butt was a little sore the first day but I hadn't ridden a bike in 7 years. Since then, the backside has been very happy with the saddle that came on my rockhopper. I'll start with some baggies and maybe some day I'll move into skinnies when I skinny up a bit.

mtbr member
    I'm not doubting that skinnies aren't better or more efficient for riding. But even when I've gone jogging I wear basketball shorts. I dunno, it's just me, it's what I'm comfortable in. Right now I am riding for the exercise part of it. I ride without any sort of pads just spandex and basektball shorts. My butt was a little sore the first day but I hadn't ridden a bike in 7 years. Since then, the backside has been very happy with the saddle that came on my rockhopper. I'll start with some baggies and maybe some day I'll move into skinnies when I skinny up a bit.
    Doolin,

I've dropped from 210 to 192 since around April just by biking. My goal is 185, a weight I haven't experienced since college days... I wore nothing but regular shorts until about a month ago. Who cares as long as it works, is my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have always considered Spandex to be a miracle fabric but it should not be used in certain applications! Unfortunately I am one of them at 265 lbs. I have regular cycling shorts but wear something over them for now. I used to road bike a lot and always wore skinnies but that was 50 pounds ago. Sure, I would be more comfortable in my Pearl Izumi shorts with nothing over them but I won't subject the rest of the world to that sight just yet. I mean, we have all seen this fabric being used inappropriately (always seems to be in Walmart for some reason) and were horrified. I just don't want to be that person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XRAYO
    Doolin,

I've dropped from 210 to 192 since around April just by biking. My goal is 185, a weight I haven't experienced since college days... I wore nothing but regular shorts until about a month ago. Who cares as long as it works, is my opinion.

XRAYO, that is great you have lost that weight by riding. It's great to lose weight doing something as fun as riding a bike. My goal is to get to 190 from 225 and I will be mostly doing it from riding also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This forum and the clydesdale directory in particular was the reason I got back into mountain biking. I used to do it when I was in HS and a little in college then I just stopped. I was also playing football at the time. Now my weight has swelled up to 270lbs (hence no lycra for this kid). LOL A couple months back I was away for a wedding and had some time to waste. Walked into a bike shop and couldn't believe the bikes and how they changed. Ended up making friends with a manager at a local bike shop at the wedding. (destiny sniff sniff). I came here to research and read the success stories in this forum. Couldn't believe what I was reading. People have lost a lot of weight. I'm hoping I can get back to the 240lb range. But 225 is my goal and I haven't weight that since I was in HS. If I get to that weight I promise you guys I'll buy skinnies and prance around in them! Thanks for all the feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbiker
    XRAYO, that is great you have lost that weight by riding. It's great to lose weight doing something as fun as riding a bike. My goal is to get to 190 from 225 and I will be mostly doing it from riding also.
    Dirtbiker,

You can do it. I did, and didn't even change my diet. I ride about 15 miles EVERY morning on trails around Santa Fe and throw in a bunch of climbs in the process. It's tough. I bought a wireless heart monitor so I could track my "fitness" progress and make sure I wouldn't kill myself. When I start getting into the 160's (BPM) I know I'm reaching my limit and I pull back. It's pretty cool seeing concrete progress.

I'm 46 and used to ride hard but took five years or so off because of proximity to trails, etc. I'm telling you, I don't ever want to have to go through the initial stages of "getting fit" ever again. The first month or so this summer was really tough for me...

What's really fun is seeing progress on trails where last month, for instance, I had to walk the switchbacks but I can now ride them non-stop.

It's changed my life. I hope you find the same satisfaction and sense of accomplishment.

Best regards,

X

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Cowboy's Fuzzy Duds

Go ahead and wear your lycra's and get yourself a pair of Cowboy's Fuzzy Duds size Large. They are extremely functional and have enormouse pockets. I have never had an issue with saddle snag. They will make you stand out in the crowd

mtbr member
    This forum and the clydesdale directory in particular was the reason I got back into mountain biking. I used to do it when I was in HS and a little in college then I just stopped. I was also playing football at the time. Now my weight has swelled up to 270lbs (hence no lycra for this kid). LOL A couple months back I was away for a wedding and had some time to waste. Walked into a bike shop and couldn't believe the bikes and how they changed. Ended up making friends with a manager at a local bike shop at the wedding. (destiny sniff sniff). I came here to research and read the success stories in this forum. Couldn't believe what I was reading. People have lost a lot of weight. I'm hoping I can get back to the 240lb range. But 225 is my goal and I haven't weight that since I was in HS. If I get to that weight I promise you guys I'll buy skinnies and prance around in them! Thanks for all the feedback.
    Doolin,

You won't believe how good you'll feel after losing just 10 pounds. My old jeans literally fall to the floor and I've only lost about 18 pounds as of this morning. The downside is that nobody (I mean nobody) has even mentioned my weight loss but my wife tells me that's because it's coming off my whole body - gradually - over a period of 5 months or so. And, so they say, that's the ticket to success - gradual weight loss. I'll need a whole new wardrobe for winter - which is a PITA but worth it.

Ride often and throw in some hard rides and you'll be prancin' around in them skinnies before you know it!

Keep us posted!

X

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Xrayo

I will keep you guys posted. Like I said it's the success stories that I read here that motivated me.

Cowboy,

Those sure are some interesting shorts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    dude.. at 38/40 waste you are still pretty skinny.. get yourself both kinds of shorts.. get the supergo baggies and tighties.. I can not find a pair of baggies for me... I wear 42/44 so I wear tighties and my ass looks good in them .. hahahaha..
    Jerid Johnson
    www.jeridjohnson.com

Am I getting too bulky?
    What I find so funny is how guys think that everybody is gonna be checkin' them out. Take it from a guy who used to get laughed at by all the a-holes in the high school locker room for being uncircumcised, we're not in nineth grade any more, and nobody cares. If they are lookng, it's just because they're all jealous. But seriously, who gives a crap. Get over it. Can you just imagine what it would be like if you were a girl/woman, and had to lead your way through the world with your tits for everybody to look at? I mean, get the hell over it. Nobody cares!
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Take a look at these two shorts. They are comfortable and functional for riding.
    1. Garneu Republik shorts: size XL = 38" waist. Buy them from JensonUSA.com
    2. Cannondale Nebula shorts : size XL = 37"-39" and XXL = 40"- 41" waist. Buy them from Performancebike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i have a pair of nema baggies that i really dig. they have great padding, good ventelation, lots of storage too. check it out here: http://www.nema-usa.com/products/index.html

Chillin the Most

bibs

if you going to go lycra, try bibs. I don't personally care for lycra shorts, but bibs rock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Dude, get some lycra with a good pad, proceed to army/navy surplus store & get some light wieght camo pants...cut them off at the knees.
    I usually just wear lycra in the summer when doing a serious ride, but when it gets cold I break out the cammo baggies...work well and aremade so that there is no inner leg seam to chafe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast