member: kv dirt daddies

I need new shoes

My old shoes are falling apart. I need to replace them. I use clipless pedals and ride mostly XC and some downhill. I do a lot of rides where some walking is required. I need something that will have traction on loose dirt and rocks. I am not to concerned about weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

paintbucket
    Different shoes fit different feet. What are you wearing now? How do they feel?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

-

you need to try on a pair of Lake's.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    My old shoes are falling apart. I need to replace them. I use clipless pedals and ride mostly XC and some downhill. I do a lot of rides where some walking is required. I need something that will have traction on loose dirt and rocks. I am not to concerned about weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    I just bought a pair of these Specialized Tahos. They are more like a hiking boot than most bike shoes I've seen recently and so far (1 ride) I've been very happy with them. The sole is a softer compound than most mtb shoes and has very decent traction. The Specialized shoes I have owned in the past aren't the most durable but for only $65 I won't be too upset if they only last me 2-3 seasons.

Prof. of Doomology
    i need new shoes too, platforms been tearin up my etnies
    I ain't got time to bleed - Jesse Ventura, Predator

My name......Inigo Montoya....you have killed my father......prepare to die! - Mandy Patinkin, The Princess Bride

member: kv dirt daddies
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Different shoes fit different feet. What are you wearing now? How do they feel?

I have a pair of Cannondale shoes that I bought when I bought my ProFlex back in 96. The shoes lasted longer then the bike. I have liked the shoes but I have only owned one pair. I don't have anything to compare them to.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian

i've had the grey pair since earlier this fall. i can't complain. they were one of the most comfortable pair of mtb shoes i've ever worn (though i've never owned a pair of sidis or lakes). traction is good. sole is stiff enough. your best bet is to just shop around and try on as many different brands/models as you can. they all fit differently.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    For clipless pedal use, I use the Specialized Sawpit.

Carbon ankle protection, flexible toe with good tread for walking/climbing, SPD. It think it is designed for law enforcement.

For flat pedal use, I use the 661 Dually.

Hard ankle protection, good tread for flats.

Review articles:
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/661_dually_03_03.php
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/axo_dually_03_02.php

MTB B'dos
    Same boat here, I'm currently using the Shimano entry level SH-M038 shoe. I've only been using it since last September, but already I've ripped off some of the sole (maybe I'm a bit aggressive w/ entries) also not really anywhere near a stiff shoe and I'm looking for something a bit stiffer and better quality. The Specialized looks good, any other suggestions? I won't be able to try any shoes on, will just have to take a chance and order them online and hope they fit and feel good - anything has to be better than the Shimano's I'm currently using.

Any links to online e-tailers with suggested shoes would be appreciated. I currently check Jensons, Supergo, Greenfish, CBO, Speedgoat.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx

Any links to online e-tailers with suggested shoes would be appreciated. I currently check Jensons, Supergo, Greenfish, CBO, Speedgoat.

this link will bring you right to the specialized store.

good luck ordering shoes online. i hope you have more luck than i usually do!

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Probably impossible to find in the US, but here in Switzerland is a shoemaker who adapts real hiking boots (light ones) to SPD use (new sole). They're good (at least the gore-tex ones) for winter use too. But they are not 'dainty' shoes, not as slipper/light feeling as race mtb shoes.

Maybe you could mail order if you want this speciality item:

http://www.rada.ch/ita/pages/scarpe_mb.html

For the walking part of the equation other good options are the new Shimano model SH-MT90 with Vibram sole (not sure if available in USA, it is in Europe), Lake and Scott Vibram soled ones.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I bought 2 pair (one for my wife) of the 661 Duallys from GoRide.com as they have them on sale for $50US. (The formatting on the page is messed up a little.)

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_hot.html

should know better.....
    Lake.

Super comfortable, durable, secure and stiff (depending on the model).
    The deal-maker is that this past year they started putting vibram soles on them. Same as a high quality hiking boot. these soles are Significantly better than any other riding shoe maker. I have been using two pairs of them and love them.

mtbr member
    i love this shoe...

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=10150

great price, feel and function exceptionally well too...