Thread: I need a helmet

consistent default champ

I need a helmet

I have a women's Bell (Bella design) and I can barely snug it up enough not to move on my head. The strap under my chin is as small as I can make it. Does a company make a resonabley priced helmet in different sizes? Apparently I got a skinny head I really don't want to spend over $40 for something I may have to replace at any given time (not that I wreck a lot or anything!)

R.I.P. DogFriend

$10 helmet, $10 head (sometimes...)

I don't spend more than I have to for anything if I can help it, but am I the only one that thinks they make cheap helmets uncomfortable on purpose?

If you can live with the shortcomings of inexpensive lids, more power to you. I have found some good helmets discounted and taken advantage of them, but my head generally has champagne taste in spite of the two buck chuck budget. The least expensive one I have had that I could live in was a Bell Evo II for $45 that took one for the team (broke) in a crash. Did it's job well (although some may disagree).

Many better helmets have a separate suspension system that can adapt better to different shaped domes better than just having some pads glued to the inside.

Ventilation is another area that inexpensive helmets can be uncomfortable depending on your local climate. I like lots of vents. The post-ride-tri-hawk hair shaping feature is just an added bonus.

I like to try on different helmets whenever I have a chance so if I see one somewhere for a good price, I can pull the trigger with confidence.

The good news for you is that it seems that the small sizes are frequently the ones being moved out at clearance prices.

In the end, helmets are like saddles. One person's heaven is another's house of pain. Try before you buy is the only way to get it right.

mtbr member
    When I bought my Giro there were S, M, L sizes. I like the snug strap in the back so I can cinch it to my head. I paid $25 (on sale), with a visor on it too.

Is yours a one-size-fits-all, or a small and it's still too big?

consistent default champ

It is not sized

except for being a women specific one. It is supposed to go as low as 19.75" but apparently my head is smaller

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ok, this might sound a little silly, but what about a kids helmet? They make them in "adult" colors (ie, without silly cartoons on them, but then again, who am I to judge, maybe you want the cartoons ), so it would look like a normal adult helmet, but it might be a better fit.

mtbr member

different brands make a difference

My head is skinny, too (in the ear to ear dimension, not sure if that's what you meant). It is more aerodynamic that way . I haven't tried Bell, but the smaller Giros kind of sit on the top of my head, the bigger ones come down enough but have a lot of space on the sides. Either way the strap isn't quite right because the helmet itself doesn't fit right.

Limar helmets fit right side to side and front to back, so that's what I put on my head. Don't know about Bell, but in case you try on some different sized Giros, I have heard other folks say their heads are too skinny for 'em.

So maybe your problem is not so much the size as the shape. If there's someplace you can go to try on a few, not just different sizes but different brands, that might be worth the trip. They are like shoes in that way I think.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a woman but stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and complained about the quality of the free hand lotion.

consistent default champ

The ear to ear fit is it

The strap just can't cinch enough without putting it on my ears and rubbing them so I leave it loose. The local shops here pretty much carry bell and giro helmets.
    I have actually looked at a few youth/child helmets but they do all seem to have characters or something on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    I have actually looked at a few youth/child helmets but they do all seem to have characters or something on them.
    Looking at Bell's website, they have a few youth helmets that look "normal." Maybe your shop could order a Bell youth for you to try?

consistent default champ

I'm about to go to the shop now

I know they have some smaller ones in (do I have to admit it is a children's??).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    I know they have some smaller ones in (do I have to admit it is a children's??).
    No admitting required - throw out the box and no one will ever know!

Good luck at the shop - hope something fits!