mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I love sheep (wool)

I've decided I need a wool long sleeve jersey and am not sure what to get. I saw an Ibex Shaka Roll jersey (it is listed as a coat on their site) and was impressed. The shop did not have my size. A couple of years ago I was considering a Surly merino jersey but I've never seen the real deal, only pictures. I also had looked at Swobo's jerseys in the past but never pulled the trigger. Anyone have good insight on these. This jersey would be used for winter with or without a wool base layer, depending on what it is.

mtbr member
    I have an On-One Merino Jersey. Feels great and they are usually priced well.

On-One Merino Wool Long-Sleeved Jersey

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a wabi woolens sport series short sleeve and its really nice. Its better than my Ibex stuff which is pretty nice and I would recommend them as well. It fits real nice and does not stretch or sag much with the pockets loaded up like other wool jerseys in my experience. So wabi woolens or Ibex both made in USA as well.

Clueless Bastard
    I like Ibex gear, but I've been less that impressed with the details of their bike stuff. The wool quality is top notch, but the details of their jerseys lack. Pockets aren't big enough, zippers and kinda funky to zip/unzip while riding, colors are a little odd.

When I went to a bike show a couple years ago, I talked to the guy working the booth and he said the biggest challenge (in his opinion) was that none of the product managers were actually cyclists. No wonder.

I will say that a high quality wool jersey is something you'll wear nearly every day. In the off season, I have a SmartWool long sleeve that is by far my favorite in the closet. I have a 50/50 Campy brand jersey that I wear too.

I've converted to the lightweight SmartWool undershirts in the off season and winter. They are super cozy. If the temps are mild or I know I'll be at altitude (above 7500ft) I'll even wear them in the summer, then a full zip jersey over the top. Seems to work perfect, and I run pretty hot.

Lastly I can wear them a couple days in a row, rinse them in some water, dry them and bam they are nice the next day. I can't say that for the slew of Patagonia Capilene stuff I have, and I have a lot and LOVE Patagonia gear.

Clueless Bastard
    Oh, look at what Twin Six or DeFeet has to offer. For Twin Six, I like their jerseys A LOT, and they offer a couple of Wool items. Made in the USA, which for a jersey is amazing! Defeet makes really good undershirts, arm warmers but their Woolie Boolie sock is the bestest. Nashbar had them on sale for 10 bucks a pair, so I bought 15 pair. No joke. 8 pair in rotation, 7 pair in storage. That was 4 years ago.

I'm a bit compulsive.

pin it
    My husband wears Icebreaker Tshirts during the summer. He also has an On One hoodie. I have an Icebreaker baselayer that I wear in winter. Merino is more tolerable to me (I find wool insanely itchy) and it doesn't stink (unlike most synthetics)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Costco has decent long sleeve merino T-shirts in the Fall and Winter for $20. I don't cry if the get ripped in a wreck.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.