Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chubby Chaser

How often do you clean your camelbak (or any other hydration pack) bladder?

I had a camelbak classic hydration pack that I've been using for a couple of years. I use to just hang it up after using it and the next time I take it out I rinse it with really hot water and a bit of soap. I usually stored it with water inside and it has always came out nice and clear.

I just bought a new Osprey with a removable bladder and I was wondering if I should do the recommended cleaning and drying it or if the method I was using before is alright.

I realized it's an absolute pita to dry it out completely and I think leaving it with a bit of moisture still inside + leaving it open is worse than leaving it filled with water and sealed.

What do you do with yours?

mtbr member
    ive always drained it when done using and put them in the freezer until next use. once in a while i will add a drop of bleach/hot water, then fill and drain a few times

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Clean it? Uh-oh....

Helmetless Crasher
    Clean the mouth piece every ride.

Drain the bladder AND hose, then let the bladder hang upside down propped open via the camelback "legs" with the filler cap open.

Totally clean/dry within a few days.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I refill each pack a couple times a week and haven't cleaned either in the year that I've owned both of them. I'm very particular about taste changes in my water, and I have to say, I still haven't noticed anything wrong with my Camelbaks. I know that some would say what I'm doing is "reckless!"

Chubby Chaser
    That's the thing.... I never really thoroughly "cleaned and dried" my camelbak and the water never tasted funny nor did I see any mold. Then again that's a huge question mark for me as I wasn't able to remove the bladder on the old classic camelbak. I never got sick though so I guess it never got moldy.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    hah, "makes you stronger," right?

SamIAm
    have had an insulated camelbak bladder for 5 years now. use it all winter. just dump out old water. maybe run a bit of water thru hose before filling. last few seasons i just put away filled and pulled out month or 2 later for biking and i have had no problems. only water and ice have been in it at at least.

just pulled it out again for spring and refilled it and it tasted fine.

no need to clean imo unless your using not water
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

Huckin' trails
    I usually take the blader out and stack it in the fridge with fresh water if I know I'll be riding the next day or so.

If not I take out the blader, drain it as best as I can and hang it upside down with the cap open and a sponge-towel at the bottom to absorb any water left and moisture. Often It's already dry the next day. I also drain the hose every time. Mouth piece as best as I can. Once in a while when I feel like it's due, I'll take apart the hose and mouth piece, rinse the hose with mouth wash thoroughly, then rinse with cold water. Drain and hang dry. I'll dissemble the mouth piece and clean any residue that got in, rinse with cold water and drop the part in a glass of mouth wash overnight. Next day you just take the mouth piece out, rinse with cold water, wipe dry and put back together with the hose. Mouth wash I use is alcohol free. Don't know if it's a big deal though.

Next ride I have a fresh taste of white mint any time I take a sip.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

When would I ride??

I use my camelbak almost everyday. Haven't really thought about cleaning it. Just add water when needed and keep on going. Now you have me thinking I should have two. Must go shopping
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After used my camelbak I fill it with water and add one clhlorine tablet

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Drain it and throw it in the freezer if im riding in the next day or two i put it in the fridge.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just rinse mine out and dry regularly. A good trick my friend showed me is every couple of months he drops one of those polident (sp?) denture cleaning tablets in his. The stuff fizzes in the water and does a good job of freshening up the bladder. You just rinse it really well afterwards. I suspect it's a very similar material to the camelbak cleaning tablets you can buy.

mtbr member
    I clean mine every couple of weeks or so. I rinse it out a couple of times then fill it full of clean water and about 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach and let it sit for an hour or so. Then drain it and leave it open to dry over night. The clorine is a very good anti-bacterial and it breaks down completely in a day or so if you let it air dry. Heck when I was in the army they used to just add clorine bleach to water and give it to us to drink.

mtbr member
    I keep it in the freezer if I'm not going to use it for a week or more. Other than that, weekly cleaning with denture tabs.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    I have a Dakine pack with the Hydrapak bladder. I usually clean it every month or so. Iv'e been very happy with the bladder and find it really easy to clean because you can turn it inside out and really scrub it well and it dries pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I clean mine out a couple times a year. Otherwise it just sits at room temperature with whatever water is left after the last ride. It hasn't gotten gross yet, and the few times I have cleaned it were only because it had been sitting for more than a few weeks without use.
    Matt

mtbr member
    I have an osprey raptor that I got back in October. I usually just empty it, shake all the water out of it, and hang it up (open) next to the window over the kitchen sink. It dries pretty quickly. I run the bite valve through the dishwasher, shake it out, and let it air dry. If I'm going to ride again before it would dry out anyway I usually just refill it and put it in the 'fridge. In the summer I will store it about half full of water in the freezer. It gets hot around here.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have never cleaned mine either for about 1 year. Mine has never had anything in it other than tap water and ice.

At the end of the ride i drain it and the tube and then I place a piece of 1 1/2" pvc tube that I beveled on one end to keep it from getting caught on the bag. This keeps the bottom of the bladder open and then lets it dry faster..

It has no taste at all.

Hope this helps

I4NI
    Everytime I use it!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamby66 View Post
    I have never cleaned mine either for about 1 year. Hope this helps
    Ewww.

I rinse with hot water, tube and bite valve incl., and store it in the freezer. Mountain spring fresh every time.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    When I can't stand the smell any longer, I take out the bladder and wash the pack. Never wash the bladder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I should state that I do wash the bite valve with dish soap. The bladder... to me what is the difference if you let it dry after washing it, or let it dry after using it? It is the same water.

I am using city water so it is treated with fluoride and chlorine, and UV sterilized. I have never noticed any taste at all.

Rides the Desert
    I use an Osprey and after every use take out the bladder, fill it, and toss it in the fridge. This way I have never had problems with bacteria or mold and the water is cold for the next time

Merendon Junkie
    An easy way to leave it bone dry is to rinse the bladder and hose with isopropyl alcohol then drain. Leave it hanging with the cap open and in a couple of hours it should be totally dry. I do this once every week or two and my bladder is as clean as the day I bought it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast